Jump to content
ilikewhatisgood

Couple in their low 40s

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I understand these are all great cruise lines, but if we are in our low 40s which one would have a more similar demographics? And which one would be definitely not a good match?

 

Oceania, Viking, Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas?

 

We are foodies. Love great service but are not very much into tuxedos or ties required. Love the sun and taking in the sea views.

 

We’ve been on Celebrity Edge with access to The Retreat and liked it but we’re thinking about the next step up.

 

And no kids (we did our share of Disney cruises!)

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ilikewhatisgood said:

Hello,

 

I understand these are all great cruise lines, but if we are in our low 40s which one would have a more similar demographics? And which one would be definitely not a good match?

 

Oceania, Viking, Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas?

 

We are foodies. Love great service but are not very much into tuxedos or ties required. Love the sun and taking in the sea views.

 

We’ve been on Celebrity Edge with access to The Retreat and liked it but we’re thinking about the next step up.

 

And no kids (we did our share of Disney cruises!)

 

Thank you!

With its dining venues curated by Jacques Pepin, Oceania is well respected by many publications and travel experts as having the "best food at sea"™.

O's specialty restaurants are not "better." Rather, they are true "specialty" restaurants (never an extra charge) with fixed menus focused on specific cuisines.

A favorite of collegiate alumni associations, Oceania's demographic is very much related to the itinerary length and destinations- - younger on the short Med, Alaska and Caribbean cruises (even including kids) and older on the longer cruises to more exotic locations.

We've done numerous cruise lines across various cruise industry segments over many years and have found that no other cruise line gets a cosmopolitan traveler more "bang for your buck."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for relaxing, try Norwegian. If you're looking for fun, try Carnival. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean yet - people say great things about it. If you can spend more on a luxury cruise, well, I can't help with that! I know there is less to do on board because the ships are smaller, but there will also be less people - esp. kids!

 

To be honest, you should filter first by where you want to cruise from, then by where you want to cruise to, then by how much you want to spend. I love cruiseweb.com for doing this! Try different cruise lines and see what you like. People are weirdly biased against Carnival, but it's my favorite.

 

Cruise when the kids are in school - avoid Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, spring and summer breaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ilikewhatisgood said:

Oceania, Viking, Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas?

 

I've been researching these same lines for the same reasons.  Right now, I'm most attracted to Viking Ocean.  One, their new ships look beautiful.  There are other reasons but above all.....no kids!  Viking is an adults only cruise line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ilikewhatisgood said:

Hello,

 

I understand these are all great cruise lines, but if we are in our low 40s which one would have a more similar demographics? And which one would be definitely not a good match?

 

Oceania, Viking, Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas?

 

We are foodies. Love great service but are not very much into tuxedos or ties required. Love the sun and taking in the sea views.

 

We’ve been on Celebrity Edge with access to The Retreat and liked it but we’re thinking about the next step up.

 

And no kids (we did our share of Disney cruises!)

 

Thank you!

 

12 hours ago, laurenofalltrades said:

If you're looking for relaxing, try Norwegian. If you're looking for fun, try Carnival. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean yet - people say great things about it. If you can spend more on a luxury cruise, well, I can't help with that! I know there is less to do on board because the ships are smaller, but there will also be less people - esp. kids!

 

To be honest, you should filter first by where you want to cruise from, then by where you want to cruise to, then by how much you want to spend. I love cruiseweb.com for doing this! Try different cruise lines and see what you like. People are weirdly biased against Carnival, but it's my favorite.

 

Cruise when the kids are in school - avoid Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, spring and summer breaks.

 

Lauren I'm used to you usually giving good advice, but did you read the original post?  I enjoy Carnival too, but would never consider them (or NCL or RCCL) as "the next step up" or "no kids."  A couple of foodies who enjoy the sun and taking in the views might not want other things to do.  Even during the breaks the mainstream lines will likely have more kids than this poster would prefer.

 

OP, I haven't sailed the higher lines yet so can't offer much help.  I think Azamara is part of the RCI line along with X, so if you like that product it might be a similar feel (maybe not though since HA and Cunard sound very different from Carnival).  Since you enjoy the sun and views I would look at the deck plans for what looks the most appealing.  I'd check the dress codes for each line too.  At this level I would expect excellent food and service from any of your choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, lauren009 said:

If you're looking for relaxing, try Norwegian. If you're looking for fun, try Carnival. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean yet - people say great things about it. If you can spend more on a luxury cruise, well, I can't help with that! I know there is less to do on board because the ships are smaller, but there will also be less people - esp. kids!

 

To be honest, you should filter first by where you want to cruise from, then by where you want to cruise to, then by how much you want to spend. I love cruiseweb.com for doing this! Try different cruise lines and see what you like. People are weirdly biased against Carnival, but it's my favorite.

 

Cruise when the kids are in school - avoid Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, spring and summer breaks.

 

Norwegian, Carnival or Royal Caribbean lines are hardly in the class that the OP mentioned in their post.

 

DON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. Should we consider HAL? Is it superior to Celebrity?

 

We booked Azamara (March 2019), Oceania (Dec 2019) and Crystal (Dec 2020)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ilikewhatisgood said:

Thanks for all the replies. Should we consider HAL? Is it superior to Celebrity?

 

We booked Azamara (March 2019), Oceania (Dec 2019) and Crystal (Dec 2020)

 

HAL superior to Celebrity?  Absolute not.  Well, that's my opinion at least.  I think Celebrity blows HAL away in their ship designs, modern decor, entertainment and food.      

 

Great choices on those last 3.  Those should be very nice cruises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, age has little to do with it.  I know folks in their 70's that can party with the best of them...and people in their 30's that are "stick in the mud" sorts.

 

It really depends on what specific things you like.  You can do as much or as little on ANY cruise line....not everyone on the ship will be just like you.....sort of like hotels.....not everyone meets the same demographic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Look, age has little to do with it.  I know folks in their 70's that can party with the best of them...and people in their 30's that are "stick in the mud" sorts.

 

It really depends on what specific things you like.  You can do as much or as little on ANY cruise line....not everyone on the ship will be just like you.....sort of like hotels.....not everyone meets the same demographic!

 

How does any of that help the op?  Did you actually read their question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, lauren009 said:

If you're looking for relaxing, try Norwegian. If you're looking for fun, try Carnival. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean yet - people say great things about it. 

 

Not if you like good food. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Not if you like good food. 🙂

Actually RCI food is fine if you consider Golden Corral or Chili's a "night out on the town."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually RCI food is fine if you consider Golden Corral or Chili's a "night out on the town."

I am already dreading it in 2 months.... I keep telling myself - we are doing it for family activities and entertainment! And it's not like we are going to starve...

Sigh... We'll make it up on Princess this November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With those specs I’d look at Viking, Ociana, Azamara

 

in that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am already dreading it in 2 months.... I keep telling myself - we are doing it for family activities and entertainment! And it's not like we are going to starve...

Sigh... We'll make it up on Princess this November.

Sorry but, Princess is not much better. How about Oceania (do the bottom line comparison math on included vs optional costs - particularly if international airfare is in the mix). You may be very surprised at Oceania's true value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but, Princess is not much better. How about Oceania (do the bottom line comparison math on included vs optional costs - particularly if international airfare is in the mix). You may be very surprised at Oceania's true value.

I am extremely frugal, and Royal/Regal Princess does wonders for us, especially for what I pay for the cruise. We don't need any extra added value or anything optional.

I did look up Oceania once, and the price was nowhere near what I am prepared to pay for a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am extremely frugal, and Royal/Regal Princess does wonders for us, especially for what I pay for the cruise. We don't need any extra added value or anything optional.

I did look up Oceania once, and the price was nowhere near what I am prepared to pay for a cruise.

Don't make the mistake of comparing only cabin  prices. That included international airfare (or air credit) and no charge for beverages, internet, restaurants, some excursions/booze/etc plus commission sharing by TAs will surprise you. Also, look for O's two new Allura Class small ships (1000+) due in 2022.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, ilikewhatisgood said:

Hello,

 

I understand these are all great cruise lines, but if we are in our low 40s which one would have a more similar demographics? And which one would be definitely not a good match?

 

Oceania, Viking, Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas?

 

We are foodies. Love great service but are not very much into tuxedos or ties required. Love the sun and taking in the sea views.

 

We’ve been on Celebrity Edge with access to The Retreat and liked it but we’re thinking about the next step up.

 

And no kids (we did our share of Disney cruises!)

 

Thank you!

Based on your requirements, Viking should be your # 1 choice.

 

Viking has zero kids, as all ships are 18+. Great food, with both specialty restaurants being complimentary. Chef's table has various tasting menus they pair with wines.

 

No formal nights, as every evening is elegant casual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don't make the mistake of comparing only cabin  prices. That included international airfare (or air credit) and no charge for beverages, internet, restaurants, some excursions/booze/etc plus commission sharing by TAs will surprise you. Also, look for O's two new Allura Class small ships (1000+) due in 2022.

so, what you are saying is that a 7-10 day Thanksgiving cruise on Oceania (to the Caribbean) for the 3 of us will cost me less than $3,500 (that's including the cruise fare, gratuities, flying to a Florida port, and simple beach trips at the destinations)? And the kicker is that they only have 3 sailings, and none of them actually cover just the Thanksgiving week, so we personally couldn't go anyway.

 

We don't do specialty restaurants, I force my DH to give up his phone for a week making it a family vacation, and we don't drink.

 

Can I expect the total price to be under $3,500 for the 3 of us? I don't think so, because their website says: so, you only get to choose one - either the booze or the excursions or OBC. 

 

SEASWEPT BREEZES

10-Day Voyage
Riviera - November 25, 2019

Fares from $1,799 per guest

 

 

Special Offer

With OLife Choice*, our limited-time inclusive package, enjoy Roundtrip Airfare*plus choose one: 

FREE - 6 Shore Excursions 
FREE - Beverage Package 
FREE - $600 Shipboard Credit 
Amenities are per stateroom

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am extremely frugal, and Royal/Regal Princess does wonders for us, especially for what I pay for the cruise. We don't need any extra added value or anything optional.

I did look up Oceania once, and the price was nowhere near what I am prepared to pay for a cruise.

 

When we went on Regal we found the food at Alfredo's to be very good for a relaxing complimentary lunch.  The winemaker's table is one of the best meals we ever had, and at least when we went the price was very affordable even if you just consider the food (since you said you don't drink).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Can I expect the total price to be under $3,500 for the 3 of us? I don't think so, because their website says: so, you only get to choose one - either the booze or the excursions or OBC. 

 

I've looked at Oceania a few times.  I've never found the net cost to be anywhere near lines like Celebrity, Princess, RCI, etc.  In fact, it's been as much as double...or more.  I'd like to try a more premium line....I'm actually leaning more toward Viking Ocean...but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I keep having excellent experiences on other lines.

 

Nothing against Flatbush Flyer, we all have our preferences, but he does seem to push Oceania an unusually high amount on these boards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

 

I've looked at Oceania a few times.  I've never found the net cost to be anywhere near lines like Celebrity, Princess, RCI, etc.  In fact, it's been as much as double...or more.  I'd like to try a more premium line....I'm actually leaning more toward Viking Ocean...but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I keep having excellent experiences on other lines.

 

Nothing against Flatbush Flyer, we all have our preferences, but he does seem to push Oceania an unusually high amount on these boards.  

No offense taken.

We recommend Oceania as a good fit for well traveled folks who have worked hard for their money.

And we've done the bottom line "net daily rate" price comparisons with Celebrity/HAL/Princess at one end and the Luxury lines at the other. IMO, it's no contest when it comes to the big picture of value AND quality.

Next time you price a longer exotic locations cruise, remember O's inclusion of international airfare (or an air credit). That alone can be a $1500+\- pp value. Add unlimited internet, beverages, restaurants and choice of booze, tours or OBC as well as 5-10% TA commission sharing (often also with gratuities) and compare all that to the "nickel diming" lines rather than just cabin price.

And we haven't even touched on food quality, service, crew ratio, blah blah blah.

 

There's a reason why Oceania has such a loyal following- enough folks in fact that two brand new ships are on the horizon for 2022.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

No offense taken.

We recommend Oceania as a good fit for well traveled folks who have worked hard for their money.

...

There's a reason why Oceania has such a loyal following- enough folks in fact that two brand new ships are on the horizon for 2022.

 

 

Flatbush Flyer - not to hijack the thread, but I've been looking at stepping up to Oceania after sailing in NCL's suites for a while based on their inclusive fares. But unfortunately, my husband is not a tuxedo-type guy. Is O a less formal cruise line (in general, not compared to NCL obviously)? I've not been able to get a good feel for that question on the O boards. Thanks! (And in keeping with the OP's question - we are also in our 40's, are ready to step up our cruiselines of choice, and prefer non-formal dinners, so appreciate all of the advice.)

Edited by samiam0403

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

 

Flatbush Flyer - not to hijack the thread, but I've been looking at stepping up to Oceania after sailing in NCL's suites for a while based on their inclusive fares. But unfortunately, my husband is not a tuxedo-type guy. Is O a less formal cruise line (in general, not compared to NCL obviously)? I've not been able to get a good feel for that question on the O boards. Thanks! (And in keeping with the OP's question - we are also in our 40's, are ready to step up our cruiselines of choice, and prefer non-formal dinners, so appreciate all of the advice.)

On Oceania, Country Club Casual™ Is just that:

No need for ties or jackets; no "prom nights." Some folks will wear a blazer or the occasional suit in one of the "specialty" restaurants (no extra cost - rather a specific cuisine in intimate settings). But, all O asks is that you don't wear jeans, shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps to dinner. Always appropriate are slacks and collared/buttoned shirts.

As for comparing O to NCL suites, there's a significant difference in food and service quality. Once you try Oceania, it's very hard to go back to any mass market line - even those with the "wannabe" ship-within-a-ship concepts.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On Oceania, Country Club Casual™ Is just that:

No need for ties or jackets; no "prom nights." Some folks will wear a blazer or the occasional suit in one of the "specialty" restaurants (no extra cost - rather a specific cuisine in intimate settings). But, all O asks is that you don't wear jeans, shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps to dinner. Always appropriate are slacks and collared/buttoned shirts.

As for comparing O to NCL suites, there's a significant difference in food and service quality. Once you try Oceania, it's very hard to go back to any mass market line - even those with the "wannabe" ship-within-a-ship concepts.

 

Thanks for the info! Sounds like Oceania might be perfect for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Win a Cruise with the Most Highly-Awarded Small Ship Cruise Line in Alaska
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×