Dress for Women (& Men) in UAE, Qatar and Bahrain

babjlb

My family (teenage son and daughter and husband) will be taking a cruise in March on MSC that starts in Dubai and has ports of call in  Abu Dhabi, Sri Bani Yas Island, Bahrain and Doha, Qatar.  I have seen posts that refer to very conservative dress requirements (everything covered but face and hands with loose clothing for women) for the Mosque in Abu Dhabi but little detail for our other stops.  Would very much appreciate any guidance on dress required for other stops both for visiting specific sites as well as just in public. Thank you in advance!

Jennie

4 hours ago, babjlb said:

My family (teenage son and daughter and husband) will be taking a cruise in March on MSC that starts in Dubai and has ports of call in  Abu Dhabi, Sri Bani Yas Island, Bahrain and Doha, Qatar.  I have seen posts that refer to very conservative dress requirements (everything covered but face and hands with loose clothing for women) for the Mosque in Abu Dhabi but little detail for our other stops.  Would very much appreciate any guidance on dress required for other stops both for visiting specific sites as well as just in public. Thank you in advance!

Jennie

The only places with strict dress codes would be mosques and that is long trousers for men (not shorts) and a tee shirt with sleeves (no vests or tank tops).  Women can either hire an abbaya (at the Sh. Zayed Grand Mosque) to cover the clothes they are wearing or they can just wear full length trousers/maxi skirt and a long sleeved top/blouse which would also be fine.  Head covering can be just a lightweight scarf loosely wrapped around your head and neck area.....  No-one is allowed to wear shoes inside a mosque so having a pair of socks in your bag would be handy.  Anywhere else, visitors are just asked to dress respectfully when out in public places - tailored/knee length shorts or trousers and tee shirts/polo shorts for men not short shorts (running style) with vests/tank tops etc.  Similar for ladies, knee length shorts/crops/capris or a knee length or longer skirt or dress, again with tee shirt/blouse etc. with at least short sleeves rather than sleeveless or with spaghetti straps.  You will see all sorts I'm sure but this is an Islamic country so just being respectful of their more conservative dress codes is all that is required.    I live here but I don't have one wardrobe of clothes for here and one for when I'm travelling, I wear the same clothes here as I do when I'm outside the country...

Anne..

What Anne said.

Having lived (until very recently) in Bahrain,  Oman and the UAE, for 14 years, Anne's comments are good.

Err  on the conservative side.

Personally I have never worn shorts of any style, unless at a beach club or boat or within our own residential communities. Neither has my wife. If you see anybody in shorts on the street or in malls, you can bet they are tourists.

Long pants is the go for guys. 

I, too, lived in the Gulf for 3 years, and agree with the previous comments.  It is best to err on the conservative side when out and about.  Knee length shorts or long pants, covered shoulders, and bring a headscarf for mosques.  Some mosques may have long robes women can borrow.  You are guests in a different culture and it is best to show respect.  If you are in a private community or private resort, then you can dress for whatever you are doing.  

• 2 weeks later...