Getting Burnt on the Ultimate Abyss

ryanl02

Even knowing to keep my arms straight when going down, I still got burnt on one elbow on Harmony.  Once you make your way up there, wait on the line, look out at the amazing view from there (and down through the glass floor), it's hard to remember to keep your arms straight.  Especially since you sit down and have to kind of scoot your butt a bit to get to where the slide starts.  And once you are moving, it's over so fast that it's easy to forget.  But what a fun experience!  

• 2 months later...

Never had to think about the head.  It seems rather natural. 

As far as elbows, grab the strap on the sack underhand as they show you (palms up).  This naturally draws your elbows in.  If you try to grab the strap overhand (palms down) your elbows are more likely to venture outwards.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Never had to think about the head.  It seems rather natural. 

I didn’t think about mine, either, until two weeks ago when I was on the Abyss on the Symphony.  I had ridden on the Harmony several times with no problem, but this time I suddenly found myself sliding with my forehead rubbing along the side of the slide.  I was unable to pull away from it for several seconds, until the direction changed and I was able to sit up again.  I had two spots, each the size of a dime, where the skin had rubbed off my forehead.  I never had a headache, but my forehead was painfully raw for two days or so, then a fairly large bruise developed.  That was sore for about ten days.  

The next day we had a long lunch at Playmakers, sat outside, and watched a long line of people emerge from the Abyss.  Every single one of them were sitting upright (and smiling or laughing).  I have no idea how I tipped over during the ride, but it can be done.

Personally, I found the slide to be slow and boring. Rode it on Harmony last October, 2 rides in succession.  It was so slow, neither Laura and I even cleared the tube at end. Just our legs stuck out.

I am 6-1 and 190 pounds. I did have fun, just a little dull. The ride, not me. 😉

• Like 1

My son and I have been discussing the possibility of his almost 5 year old daughter  doing this slide. For what you have said above, I hope my granddaughter does not do this slide for a least a couple years

Our strategy for myself and my 8 year old is to do this wearing long sleeves and maybe leggings - at least the first time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

Our strategy for myself and my 8 year old is to do this wearing long sleeves and maybe leggings - at least the first time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what we did too.  First couple days we wore long sleeves or cardigan.  Then the last couple days we saw that we all went down "flat" or "straight" so tshirts were fine for us.

PS - It was quite quick for us.  Guess it depends on the person and maybe your position?  

Edited by LuCruise

For future riders, yes they tell you how to hold in your elbows and knees. But if you don’t have long sleeves it is still possible to get burned even with your arms straight. When my mat slid up one side I ended up sliding on my left side and got a terrible burn on the back of my left arm.  It was very painful for about two weeks and needed medical attention. Now I have a large scar. I was wearing short sleeves so if you have anything long sleeved think about wearing it on the slide.

I am 76 years old and went down the Abyss without a problem.  Also, did the zip line.  The crew member helping at the slide and zip line was amazed that a person of my age would go on both of them.  

Edited by Gadget 1004
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2019 at 3:44 AM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I didn’t think about mine, either, until two weeks ago when I was on the Abyss on the Symphony.  I had ridden on the Harmony several times with no problem, but this time I suddenly found myself sliding with my forehead rubbing along the side of the slide.  I was unable to pull away from it for several seconds, until the direction changed and I was able to sit up again.  I had two spots, each the size of a dime, where the skin had rubbed off my forehead.  I never had a headache, but my forehead was painfully raw for two days or so, then a fairly large bruise developed.  That was sore for about ten days.  

The next day we had a long lunch at Playmakers, sat outside, and watched a long line of people emerge from the Abyss.  Every single one of them were sitting upright (and smiling or laughing).  I have no idea how I tipped over during the ride, but it can be done.

I though I was the only one hitting the head IM not getting in that ride anymore and I followed directions. Also , you see people smiling and happy from the ride but it you follow them with your eyes most of the check on their elbows or arms when they are walking by the carousel and no longer have to pretend it was a nice ride lol

I hit my head really hard going down the Abyss. I’m not sure why, but I think it was because I didn’t lean back far enough. I tried it again on the last day of the cruise, made sure I leaned back, and was fine. I wasn’t about to let it defeat me! Lol!

5 minutes ago, molole said:

How scary is that thing? I am very tempted but I already know I am not a roller coaster girl.

I'm a bad judge as very little scares me, but in reality it is just a very long version of a child's playground slide.  It doesn't go any faster or do anything that a normal enclosed playground slide doesn't do.  It is just longer duration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molole said:

How scary is that thing? I am very tempted but I already know I am not a roller coaster girl.

It looks much scarier than it is.  It seems steep but when you're in it, you just swerve and turn.

• Like 2

We went on Harmony when she was rather new and did not hear any tips about long sleeves and pants before we left......thus my 6'2" DH and DS both went on Abyss - both had skin burns on elbow and knees as well.  When travelling at a fast rate of speed fearfully for the first time, it is hard to remember to hold up head, keep elbows tucked in and knees away from the sides.  Needless to say, they only rode it one time and I decided to take a 'pass'!!

14 hours ago, LuCruise said:

It looks much scarier than it is.  It seems steep but when you're in it, you just swerve and turn.

and thats when you hit your head on the first turn, after that you dont even want to move- super scary ride and I though it was going to be fun, btw scary because you keep thinking about hitting your head the whole time and trust me you are in a cruise no near land