Cabo San Lucas Lover's Arch Rock Formation

pink845

In Cabo, I have read several posts about the Lover's Arch rock formation and Land's End.   When coming into Cabo on the Ruby Princess, can this rock formation be seen from the ship.  I have pretty good camera, would I be able to capture  this rock formation from my balcony or is taking a tour out to this rock formation necessary to get a good shot.  I do not like the look of the water taxis that I guess take people out to these rocks.

We arrived in the bay of Cabo San Lucas from San Diego so from the north and sailed around "Lands End".  Did not get a great view of the arch though.  This is a tender port BTW.   Our ship's tour involved a boat trip to Lands End with close up views of the arch.  Which was interesting (and seas were choppy!).   I think taking a boat tour to see it close up is the way to go.  the bay of CSL is huge - and unlikely you'll see it from the ship.

You say you didn't like the look of the water taxis -- well, I was "underwhelmed" to say the least with the boat that took us there.  Maybe 80 people from our ship - Regent Seven Seas Mariner - were on the boat.   The "safety briefing" was a joke.  Literally.  the fellow said "Ladies and Gentlemen your life jackets are under your seats"  which they weren't.  he then added "Had to say that because that's what they say on planes" and that was the end of the briefing.   They offered margaritas which we declined.  Just as well because some of the people reported getting ill after that!   I complained to Regent and they checked things out with the staff person who had been on the tour - who confirmed what I said.  I was then refunded the tour cost (in those days you paid for excursions on Regent which was Radisson at the time) and told they would not use this company again.  I would wait till getting there and look those boats over myself before comitting...

Hambagahle, Thanks for your reply very informative.  I have checked out U tube and saw that the small power boats that I guess function as taxis are almost struggling in the choppy waters and people are not wearing life jackets at all, and, well, I am just not comfortable entrusting my life in the hands of other people in that particular way, so I guess I will forgo the tour to the arch via small boat (taxi).  If I have to worry about getting thrown overboard as I hold my camera, I think I am not up for that particular thrill.    I am not particularly happy about having to tender from the ship to begin with, so I think I will simply not dwell on getting shot of the arches and will pick up a post card instead!!!!  

Pink, I have taken a water taxi from the dock out to Los Arcos at least a dozen times.  In recent years, we have always been required to put on life vests on the water taxis.  Although there have been some bumpy rides, I have never seen any problems -- on our taxi or on any of the other taxis that have been making the same trip.

Why don't you keep an open mind and see how rough the water is when you are in port?

We just did this in November - The first photo was taken from the ship, the second two from our water taxi tour. They required everyone to wear a life vest. Yes, the boats are small and a lot of them are kind of old. But I never felt unsafe. And I am fairly risk-averse. On the Sea of Cortez side of the arch (where we are standing in the boat), the water isn't really all that deep and people snorkel fairly close by from Lover's Beach. I can swim, I wasn't too worried about falling overboard. The water is rougher on the Pacific side (third photo), and I wouldn't have stood up in the bow over there. 

Cabo 1.jpg

Cabo 2.jpg

Cabo 3.jpg

We also took a water taxi to the arch -- life jackets were required, seas were roughish but I'm not sure if it was because it was a small boat.  If you can find a 'glass bottom boat', do it - we got some shots of fish under the boat.

Thanks all for your replies.  You are assuaging my fears.  I will first look for the glass bottom boat, if no luck there , I will dive in with the taxi as long as there are life vests.  I love the pictures!!!  Big difference in the pic from the ship and the ones from the water taxi.   I am very much looking forward to this adventure.  Thanks once again.  

Most of the water taxis have the glass bottom - they are glass panels on the floor of the boat. Although TBH on the one we were on you couldn't see very well out of them. But when we stopped for a few moments near the snorkeling area, you could see a lot of fish just looking over the side.

you should see los arcos coming into cabo (depending when you arrive) and see it going out.we  are there jan.26 on the ruby .we arrive at 11:am.later than we have been there before.the boats looks old but they are made for the waters.they do it many times a day.we will a trip on the panga to los arcos then over to mendano beach.if you have a camera worth protecting bring a large baggie for protection .stay in the back too,not as much spray.have a great cruise.it can  be calm waters going there too!!

• 2 weeks later...

There will be four of us there February 11 our first trip to the Mexican Riviera and were looking to pre-book a glass bottom boat thru Trip Advisor for $20pp then spend rest of afternoon at Medano Beach.  My question is can you just get a boat right there at the dock after getting off the tender or better off taking the water taxi to the beach and going with the booked boat. Guess I'm asking in both cost and convenience.  TIA.

Edited by parttimr

Part Timer, I do not know about your pre-booked excursion.  When you get off the tender boat from the ship, you will besieged with locals wanting to sell you tours, and they will be happy to sell you a glass-bottom boat to Los Archos and then drop you off at the beach.  Then, you catch a water taxi (the same thing as the glass-bottoms) back to the tender dock.

Negotiate!!

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, centralcalicruzer said:

We just did this in November - The first photo was taken from the ship, the second two from our water taxi tour. They required everyone to wear a life vest. Yes, the boats are small and a lot of them are kind of old. But I never felt unsafe. And I am fairly risk-averse. On the Sea of Cortez side of the arch (where we are standing in the boat), the water isn't really all that deep and people snorkel fairly close by from Lover's Beach. I can swim, I wasn't too worried about falling overboard. The water is rougher on the Pacific side (third photo), and I wouldn't have stood up in the bow over there. 

Cabo 1.jpg

Cabo 2.jpg

Cabo 3.jpg

Thanks for posting these amazing pictures!