ANY OPTICAL SHOPS ON BOARD?

PSL2019

Hello!

My wife and I are new to cruising and are planning a trip this summer to Vancouver. We are both heavily dependent on prescription eyewear and contact lense, so I want to ask, does any of the cruise ships, have opticals on-board? If so, which one(s)?   

Thank you..

Clint and Beth

1 hour ago, PSL2019 said:

Hello!

My wife and I are new to cruising and are planning a trip this summer to Vancouver. We are both heavily dependent on prescription eyewear and contact lense, so I want to ask, does any of the cruise ships, have opticals on-board? If so, which one(s)?   

Thank you..

Clint and Beth

Welcome to cruise critic,

I doubt they would but I am sure Vancouver will have many places where your needs could be met.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I don't know of any cruise ship where you can get glasses and contact lenses.  Why not get them before you leave home?

We also always take a copy of our prescriptions with us -- learned the hard way after DH broke his glasses in Europe many years ago.

I wear glasses and one time the jewelry department onboard was able to fix a screw issue for me.  Another time I walked into an optical store in a port and they were able to help me.  They are used to cruise passengers wandering in. 

I always take a spare pair with me, so far has only been excess baggage, but fingers crossed will stay that way.

would be a disaster if something happened to them and I didn’t have a spare, can’t see two feet in front of me lol

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I always take spare glasses,

AND

a copy of my script, even if just on my phone 

Same here. If I don't have a 2nd pair of glasses with lenses of the most recent prescription, I pack a pair of glasses that were from the prescription immediately prior to the newest one. While they may not be quite as clear as the most recent prescription, they would suffice for everyday purposes, like reading the dinner menu, for the remainder of the cruise. 

Taking a photo of your prescription with your phone is a great idea …  one less piece of paper to keep track of!!

• Like 1

Highly recommend taking spare pair of glasses.  Found out the hard way when my husband broke his glasses.  Guest services was able to refer us to an optical shop in San Juan, but they were not able to fix; even having the prescription didn’t help. They were unable to make on the spot - had to send out to do and of course we didn’t have that kind of time.  Not as easy to find “make in an hour “ places on vacation.

No optical shops on board.  To echo others comments, take spares of your glasses and contacts.  Not likely to get a contact prescription filled on shore with what is typically 8 or so hours in port, unless your specific prescription is common and on hand.  But if so, you will likely pay in full and hope for a insurance reimbursement at home.  Simple eyeglass repairs, maybe.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Never seen one on board, but have had the experience of needing repair work during a cruise.  Jewelry shop had some tools but neither he nor I could fully fix my glasses.  However a very nice optician in Kirkwall did the trick.  Bringing a spare even if an old prescription is better than nothing. 

11 hours ago, ksqueak said:

I wear glasses and one time the jewelry department onboard was able to fix a screw issue for me.  Another time I walked into an optical store in a port and they were able to help me.  They are used to cruise passengers wandering in. 

Yep most jewellery shops (if they’ve got a technician) can work on glasses and I find most opticians and dispensers happy to deal with minor problems even if they didn’t sell the glasses

22 minutes ago, jocap said:

As well as taking spare glasses, I take one of those repair kits with tiny screws, screwdrivers etc...from an opticians, and have used them twice for other cruisers in distress!

I’ve got a repair kit, about the size of a cigarette, used it for others more than for me, but takes up no space and comes in handy, one cruise even did some running repairs on a blokes camera, (but that was before digital, nit sure I’d risk it now).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

really? Because the one we were on recently didn't even have a hair brush at the onboard store. I forgot mine at home.... 

Like so many things it varies by line and by ship. Some have a wider range of on board shopping than others, either way you’ll get hit for $$$, if possible ts better to wait till the next port.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

really? Because the one we were on recently didn't even have a hair brush at the onboard store. I forgot mine at home.... 

Probably the best, I would think a hair brush would damage the contact lenses. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Like so many things it varies by line and by ship. Some have a wider range of on board shopping than others, either way you’ll get hit for $$$, if possible ts better to wait till the next port.

P&O have them.

There is no way on a ship to create prescription lenses.  They may be able to fix a pair of glasses that break....but it is best to bring a spare pair or extra contacts!  Neither take up much space and you'll be glad to have them if they're needed.

Some of the shops may sell non-Rx sunglasses, but that's about it.