Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Lyndihop

Single Smoking Thread (Use for all smoking discussions on HAL) )

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I prefer no smoking casinos.

 

Then you're in luck (no pun intended), because HAL has you covered. Oosterdam, Eurodam and Zuiderdam casinos are completely non-smoking!

 

Isn't that awesome?! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

 

Then you're in luck (no pun intended), because HAL has you covered. Oosterdam, Eurodam and Zuiderdam casinos are completely non-smoking!

 

Isn't that awesome?! 😀

The Baltic itinerary that I am considering is on the Veendam, with smoking casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since evidence indicates that smokers are far less susceptible to the covid 19 virus.  Will cruising be reserved only for smokers and if you are a non-smoker you will be refused permission to board.  Perhaps you will be required to show your cigarettes and lighter prior to embarking.

 

April 29, 2020 - Today in the world of coronavirus news:

Few of those hospitalized with the coronavirus are smokers, and researchers are trying to understand why, according to VICE.

One hypothesis is that nicotine, which has anti-inflammatory properties, may interfere with the way that COVID-19 causes an overreaction of the immune system.

The hypothesis comes from Konstantinos Farsalinos, a cardiologist in Greece who focuses on tobacco-use reduction. Farsalinos noticed that few COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized in China were smokers, though about half of men in the country smoke.

 

Farsalinos and colleagues wrote a new paper available as a preprint and scheduled to be published in Internal and Emergency Medicine. They found that among 13 studies in China with nearly 6,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, the rate of smokers ranged from 1.4% to 12.6%. No studies recorded e-cigarette use.

“The results were remarkably consistent across all studies and were recently verified in the first case series of COVID-19 cases in the U.S.,” the authors wrote, calling for an “urgent investigation.”

“We all know that smoking is obviously bad for you,” Raymond Niaura of New York University told VICE. Niaura co-authored the paper with Farsalinos. “It follows logically that smokers would be way worse off. I would think that too. But I've been surprised: That's not the story we're necessarily seeing.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wonderingabout said:

Since evidence indicates that smokers are far less susceptible to the covid 19 virus.  Will cruising be reserved only for smokers and if you are a non-smoker you will be refused permission to board.  Perhaps you will be required to show your cigarettes and lighter prior to embarking.

 

April 29, 2020 - Today in the world of coronavirus news:

Few of those hospitalized with the coronavirus are smokers, and researchers are trying to understand why, according to VICE.

One hypothesis is that nicotine, which has anti-inflammatory properties, may interfere with the way that COVID-19 causes an overreaction of the immune system.

The hypothesis comes from Konstantinos Farsalinos, a cardiologist in Greece who focuses on tobacco-use reduction. Farsalinos noticed that few COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized in China were smokers, though about half of men in the country smoke.

 

Farsalinos and colleagues wrote a new paper available as a preprint and scheduled to be published in Internal and Emergency Medicine. They found that among 13 studies in China with nearly 6,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, the rate of smokers ranged from 1.4% to 12.6%. No studies recorded e-cigarette use.

“The results were remarkably consistent across all studies and were recently verified in the first case series of COVID-19 cases in the U.S.,” the authors wrote, calling for an “urgent investigation.”

“We all know that smoking is obviously bad for you,” Raymond Niaura of New York University told VICE. Niaura co-authored the paper with Farsalinos. “It follows logically that smokers would be way worse off. I would think that too. But I've been surprised: That's not the story we're necessarily seeing.”

 

I read the same article.  The article went on to say that smoking causes death from stroke, cancer and heart attacks at a much greater rate than non smokers.  It said that this is NOT a reason to smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I read the same article.  The article went on to say that smoking causes death from stroke, cancer and heart attacks at a much greater rate than non smokers.  It said that this is NOT a reason to smoke.

 

Of course it's not a reason to smoke, or start smoking. That goes without saying.. But it is an interesting study, never-the-less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote the previous post mostly as a humorous take on the virus, fear and its effect on cruising.  But as I think more about it there is a serious side to our pooh poohing the studies' results.

 

1. Threats of death from stroke, heart attacks, cancer and no doubt other diseases increase with smoking.  But these are chronic results of smoking over long periods of time.  There is little if any evidence that smoking over short-term periods result in an lasting negative results.  In fact many anti smoking ads tout that stopping smoking can reverse or at least halt the chronic effects of smoking.  " It is never too late to quit smoking"  But Covid 19 and its effects are immediate, real and deadly.

 

2. If these studies as indicated show smoking reduce hospitalizations due to Covid 19 by 85% to 98% then by not pushing smoking as a short -term therapeutic response to the Virus, atleast to the elderly, we are in our political correctness condemning people to death.  We are literally killing people because we have such an aversion to smoking.

 

3. Considering that most people who die of the disease are over 60, the detriments of the chronic diseases are likely not to be important even if they become addicted to smoking.  These people will likely die of something else before the effects of smoking kills them.  It is the reverse of the teenager who starts smoking and is likely to die of the effects of smoking before something else kills him.

 

4. The costs to our society, including our social relationships with other people because of masks, social distancing and the costs to our economy because of mandated shutdowns  The cost to our health because of delayed or undiagnosed  or untreated illness due to the lock down and limited access to other medical care  versus the cost to the society by pushing smoking is too vast to quantify whether from an economic, moral or mental health point.

 

I would like to say that I have never smoked, I do not like being in a smokey environment but I do have an open mind to people that do smoke and an open mind to the idea that logic should supersede political correctness or whatever we want call our obsession with smoking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news for people who do not want to start smoking is that they do not have to.

There are nicotine patches and gums that will be healthier for them and create that same effect against the virus due to the fact that it is the nicotine itself that inhibits the virus and not the other things in cigarettes, cigars or vaping.

I suppose the balance would be how much to keep the virus at bay as compared to the cost of any nicotine addiction.

As a smoker myself, I was somewhat relieved to hear this news.  I have never used the nicotine patches or gums, but perhaps there is a dosage they could come up with that would be effective without being addictive.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...