“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

Just now, Go-Bucks! said:

Right now I'm at a cooking demonstration...they're making fresh pasta, herb & cheese filled chicken thighs,  carmelized tiger prawns and fettuccine alla bolognese. Mario, head chef, is so funny!

they practice  the comedy act 😉

We renamed him, "Super Mario"....he is amazing.   He seems to visit every single table in every single dining room during dinner each evening.:classic_smile:

I was at the ship building contest gathering this morning, where we started forming teams of 6, max for the contest to be held poolside, 1 March....great fun!

I haven't seen this activity on cruises since on a HAL cruise many years ago...:classic_cool:

Is the Toscana chef in the top picture?  He looks like the same one we had earlier this year on Insignia. Toscana had always ranked lowest for specialties on my prior cruises, but on that cruise, it really knocked it out of the park...it was outstanding.

Just now, bob brown said:

We renamed him, "Super Mario"....he is amazing.   He seems to visit every single table in every single dining room during dinner each evening.:classic_smile:

I was at the ship building contest gathering this morning, where we started forming teams of 6, max for the contest to be held poolside, 1 March....great fun!

I haven't seen this activity on cruises since on a HAL cruise many years ago...:classic_cool:

He has not been to any dining venue we've been in...this was the first time I've seen him. 

Just now, LHT28 said:

Do they still pass out samples of  what is being made?

They didn't pass them out, but people went up to the front and you could get a plastic spoon to taste them. The sweet chili prawn sauce was excellent! He said some of these will be served in the GDR.

All the chefs seem to have the same "shtick" ... funny ha ha mutual insults as they drink their wine while cooking.  This routine does pale after a while but I've also enjoyed these demos even so.  I always take the recipes with me although I don't think I've ever made one once at home ... I should change that!

Mura

2 hours ago, bob brown said:

The captain in his noon announcement, informed us we will have a helicopter medical evacuation at about 3:00 PM, HT.

I believe this is our first.  My thoughts for the passenger being evacuated...

They just announced that after consultation between doctor and USCG, evac has been postponed until our arrival in port in morning.

Just now, Mura said:

All the chefs seem to have the same "shtick" ... funny ha ha mutual insults as they drink their wine while cooking.  This routine does pale after a while 

Entertained this Oceania newbie!  😂  😉

(Have seen cooking demonstrations on other cruise ships, though).

Edited by Go-Bucks!

That's what I meant!  I enjoyed it the first couple of times, too ... but after that ...

Don't get me wrong:  it didn't drive me away from the cooking demos!  As I said, it begins to pale ...

Mura

We are on two legs, Sydney to Singapore.  I am curious about what you guys are doing about local currencies. I plan to get money for the larger countries, like Australia, Japan and China before leaving home.  I am afraid that there will not be enough time or opportunity to get local money in most ports.  I like to have small amounts of money in case I see something I want to buy.  Also, how do you tip the guides and drivers?  Is USD accepted?

Thank you for your help.

I'm not on this cruise so some general answers (since I don't see any before me).

In most countries local people want their own currency.  It costs them money to take your dollars to the bank and convert them, for example.  But sometimes they DO want dollars:  when we did the Black Sea cruise in 2012 most of the Russian/Ukrainian guides wanted dollars.  Guides will be clear about this, but when you are just spending money on the street probably the locals want their own currency.

We always get cash from ATMs at ports when we need it.  If you are in really small ports, maybe they won't be available.

Don't use a credit card to get cash from an ATM, though!  Use a debit card.  Some banks don't charge a fee.  TIAA (formerly Everbank) doesn't charge to use the ATM although they do charge a small percentage of the amount you withdraw.  Any ATM charges that you accrue will be credited back at the end of the statement period.

SO:  Check with your bank as to their policies.  But credit card companies treat this as a cash advance which entails heavy interest.  If you are online and trust the connection, you can of course go to the bank and immediately pay it off to avoid the interest.  But in general people will advise you to use a debit card for cash at ATMs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mura

51 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Yes, I use it all the time at home too. I was just mentioning that the ship's was good.

They sometimes have very good chicken pot stickers at the Terrace - the sauce is very good with those. You may have to ask for it - they usually have a different sauce out.

Edited by Paulchili

3 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

They didn't pass them out, but people went up to the front and you could get a plastic spoon to taste them. The sweet chili prawn sauce was excellent! He said some of these will be served in the GDR.

in days gone by  they used to have little sample dishes  passed around  of the items they cooked

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I remember and miss those days (most of the time, depending on what they cooked up 🙂)

The lounge was almost full during the demonstration, but only a dozen or so actually went up to taste the food.  I went up just to get some pics, but when I realized that the others were waiting for a taste, I took a small taste too.  Would have liked to have tasted the other offerings but too many arms were reaching all over so I just left...was on the way to lunch anyway.  (Not like I'm going hungry around here!).  :classic_rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Mura said:

I'm not on this cruise so some general answers (since I don't see any before me).

In most countries local people want their own currency.  It costs them money to take your dollars to the bank and convert them, for example.  But sometimes they DO want dollars:  when we did the Black Sea cruise in 2012 most of the Russian/Ukrainian guides wanted dollars.  Guides will be clear about this, but when you are just spending money on the street probably the locals want their own currency.

We always get cash from ATMs at ports when we need it.  If you are in really small ports, maybe they won't be available.

Don't use a credit card to get cash from an ATM, though!  Use a debit card.  Some banks don't charge a fee.  TIAA (formerly Everbank) doesn't charge to use the ATM although they do charge a small percentage of the amount you withdraw.  Any ATM charges that you accrue will be credited back at the end of the statement period.

SO:  Check with your bank as to their policies.  But credit card companies treat this as a cash advance which entails heavy interest.  If you are online and trust the connection, you can of course go to the bank and immediately pay it off to avoid the interest.  But in general people will advise you to use a debit card for cash at ATMs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mura

Thanks, Mura.  It is always such a rush to get off the ship and run to the excursion busses.  I worry about time going to an ATM machine in each port.  I appreciate your help.