“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Wow, what a special love story this blog ended up being!! Congratulations, Bob and Betsy; wishing you the very best in your new adventures as husband and wife! Thank you to all contributors for taking us along with you! 

Looking forward to next year for the atw.  Just 6 months till I can travel the world from my office and see all these great places.  Would be nice if Betsy and Bob are aboard.   Love Bob's postings and the others also.  Happy and safe summer to all.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 2:18 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

I'm glad this thread has been enjoyed by so many people...my intent was to have others enjoy this adventure with us, inform future world cruisers of what to expect and help us current passengers stay in touch during the cruise. Unfortunately the CC website won't let me download pictures anymore but trust me, I'm still having a blast and loving Europe.

It's been great to know how many have virtually journeyed with us and gotten a taste of this beautiful world!

How do you post pictures to Cruise Critic?

On 7/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, Waynetor said:

Re mail: On the 2016 world cruise I had a package sent to the ship via Fed-ex.  I used the Oceania port agent as the recipient and our cabin on the ship for delivery.  I had the on-board concierge  make the arrangement with the agent so they expected the package and knew what to do with it. 

I doubt a foreign Post Office would consider a ship as a legitimate address but  mail via a Port Agent just like my parcel could likely be arranged.

Wayne, didn't you drop the 2020 and are now doing the 2021 RTW cruise?  We are thinking we may drop the 2020 Athens to Dubia and Dubia to Cape Town and do the 2021 RTW in addition to doing the 2020 RTW.  Finally paid the insurance yesterday for the 2020 RTW off to make final payment on the 162 day 2020 cruise at 11am.  Seems early to pay for a cruise that is not until Jan 26, 2020. 

1 minute ago, tvlbum said:

Can some of you tell us about what you needed on the cruise that you did not pack and what you did pack for the cruise that you never used.  Maybe those of us on the 2020 can learn from each of you.

Yes, for various reasons we did change from the 2020 w/c to the 2021 .  To start 2020 we are going to do a 58 night full voyage around South America including Easter Island (not on O).  Lisa (GO-Bucks) will also be on that voyage.

As far as what to bring, or not bring think about what would be real important to you versus maybe just nice.  For me having a backup pair of glasses was important - did not need them but I would have been lost if something had happened to main pair.  If you are taking a computer make sure you have a backup of everything  left at home in case something happens to your computer.  If you take a lot of photos, take an older camera you no longer use as a backup - especially good if going in areas that have a bad reputation.  Make sure you have a way to copy your photos off of the memory stick.  A lot of ports will not have much in the way of shopping for your normal items but there will be chances to pick up some items along the way.

31 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Yes, for various reasons we did change from the 2020 w/c to the 2021 .  To start 2020 we are going to do a 58 night full voyage around South America including Easter Island (not on O).  Lisa (GO-Bucks) will also be on that voyage.

Can't wait to meet you in January! Will be fun to discuss our Oceania world cruise experiences. I'll probably be taking my free O cruise in 2021.

On packing, I and several other men noticed that we brought too much dressy clothing. I took 3 sport coats and could have gotten by with 2 or 1. I bought several pairs of slacks and could have gotten by with 2 or 3. It got cold and very hot. I didn’t bring enough casual cold weather clothing. The ship gave us all a commemorative rain coat so I didn’t need mine. The ship supplies a big golf size umbrella so you can skip the travel ones. Don’t worry too much about over the counter medications as the free medical care supplies most salves etc (but you do have to see the nurse or the Dr.) We took several powerful magnetic hooks which gave us the ability to hang things on the inside of the cabin door. The included laundry makes any cleaning supplies irrelevant. Also the turn around is so quick you don’t need to bring an extensive supply of socks, underwear, etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Haleca33 said:

On packing, I and several other men noticed that we brought too much dressy clothing. I took 3 sport coats and could have gotten by with 2 or 1. I bought several pairs of slacks and could have gotten by with 2 or 3. It got cold and very hot.

DH  never takes a jacket anymore   & usually 2-3 dress slacks  for dinner  this on cruises  for 2 wks +

10 hours ago, Haleca33 said:

On packing, I and several other men noticed that we brought too much dressy clothing. I took 3 sport coats and could have gotten by with 2 or 1. I bought several pairs of slacks and could have gotten by with 2 or 3. It got cold and very hot. I didn’t bring enough casual cold weather clothing. The ship gave us all a commemorative rain coat so I didn’t need mine. The ship supplies a big golf size umbrella so you can skip the travel ones. Don’t worry too much about over the counter medications as the free medical care supplies most salves etc (but you do have to see the nurse or the Dr.) We took several powerful magnetic hooks which gave us the ability to hang things on the inside of the cabin door. The included laundry makes any cleaning supplies irrelevant. Also the turn around is so quick you don’t need to bring an extensive supply of socks, underwear, etc. 

Sounds like the ship takes care of you pretty good.   Nice to see. 

On 7/23/2019 at 9:07 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

Can't wait to meet you in January! Will be fun to discuss our Oceania world cruise experiences. I'll probably be taking my free O cruise in 2021.

I am jealous of you guys.  How does Oceania treat shareholder credit.  One for the entire cruise or one per segment?  Should I have booked by segments?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:42 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

I do have a list, but it's at home...I can post it in July.

Go-Bucks,  This is from post 1138 several months ago.  Now that you have re-cooped at home do you feel like posting you home prep list for those of us that are newbies on the long cruises.

Thanks.

Pat

1 hour ago, tvlbum said:

I am jealous of you guys.  How does Oceania treat shareholder credit.  One for the entire cruise or one per segment?  Should I have booked by segments?

Good question! Our next cruise is a “grand voyage”, but we’re doin back to back next May. We’ve been doin “grand voyages” since we’ve been shareholders, but will it check out what's possible in the spring unless we here that this would be hopeless! 

1 hour ago, tvlbum said:

What does “shareholder credit” mean?

55 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

if you own NCLH  stock  you can get an OBC 

google the term "NCLH SHAREHOLDER"

These last 2 very-cheap-and-booked-onboard cruises weren't eligible for the shareholder credit but for the world cruise I got it once, not for each segment. 

1 hour ago, tvlbum said:

Go-Bucks,  This is from post 1138 several months ago.  Now that you have re-cooped at home do you feel like posting you home prep list for those of us that are newbies on the long cruises.

Thanks.

Pat

Thanks for the reminder, but I'm not home yet! I've stayed for the next 2 cruises after the world cruise and am waitlisted for the next one.  So I'll either be leaving in 3 days or 2.5 weeks!  

Please remind me again in late August.  ☺️

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

They're going to have to pry you off that ship. 😍

They should just give me a contact and I'll start working.   😂

What I really hate to leave is my oh-so-comfy-Oceania-bed!!!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

5 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

They should just give me a contact and I'll start working.   😂

What I really hate to leave is my oh-so-comfy-Oceania-bed!!!

They sell them, but the nice rocking motion doesn't come with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Thanks for the reminder, but I'm not home yet! I've stayed for the next 2 cruises after the world cruise and am waitlisted for the next one.  So I'll either be leaving in 3 days or 2.5 weeks!  

Please remind me again in late August.  ☺️

That is great.  What were / are the additional cruises.  We are thinking about cancelling Athens to Dubai and Dubai to Cape Town and doing the 2021 World cruise.

9 hours ago, tvlbum said:

That is great.  What were / are the additional cruises.  We are thinking about cancelling Athens to Dubai and Dubai to Cape Town and doing the 2021 World cruise.

First extension was 7 days to Western Caribbean...current 2nd extension is 10 days in the Eastern Caribbean. Love staying on with such a great crew and a few other world cruisers.

The 2021 WC has a nearly identical itinerary as ours did, but some great additional places (Turkey) plus 2 fantastic ATW events in Italy and Ireland. If it were me, I'd switch to the WC.  Whatever you do, enjoy!!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

14 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

First extension was 7 days to Western Caribbean...current 2nd extension is 10 days in the Eastern Caribbean. Love staying on with such a great crew and a few other world cruisers.

The 2021 WC has a nearly identical itinerary as ours did, but some great additional places (Turkey) plus 2 fantastic ATW events in Italy and Ireland. If it were me, I'd switch to the WC.  Whatever you do, enjoy!!

Are you planning to do a blog or a review of your cruise?

1 minute ago, tvlbum said:

Are you planning to do a blog or a review of your cruise?

No, this thread, plus an email with pictures to my friends, and Facebook to my family for 6 months is all I ever plan to do! It became exhausting. I've really enjoyed the other passengers on these extentions!

• Like 1