Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Go-Bucks!

“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Recommended Posts

In case there is any doubt, I'm delighted to hear that you were able to get the non-combo items after we were not.  At least it means hope for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How was that porthole cabin on deck 3?  Could you hear more operational noises or was it just like being in C2 except for the size of the window?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

How was that porthole cabin on deck 3?  Could you hear more operational noises or was it just like being in C2 except for the size of the window?

 

Well....yes, they're both identical except the type of window. I preferred the larger window in the C2, but not enough to pay much more for it. The deck 4 location is pretty convenient but those halls are pretty busy and noisy. But I had a HORRIBLE  location in the C2...was cabin 4021, right by the forward elevator, had the gangway door right under it and it had a connecting door to the next room...I could hear everything the next door people said (and they weren't talking loudly) and their TV!!  Worst room ever!

 

Deck 3 is VERY quiet! But on embarkation morning there was alot of noise while they started unloading luggage and loading other stuff. I would book this cabin category again in a heartbeat. Only drawback is that it's tricky to get to some places because there is no access to the front stairs/elevators. But I caught on quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, martini cruiser said:

Question does anyone know if they have a glass shower door in B1?

 Like cabin 6089.

 

Thanks,  Martini Cruiser

 

All showers now have glass doors on the newly refurbished ships with Insignia being the first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

 

Well....yes, they're both identical except the type of window. I preferred the larger window in the C2, but not enough to pay much more for it. The deck 4 location is pretty convenient but those halls are pretty busy and noisy. But I had a HORRIBLE  location in the C2...was cabin 4021, right by the forward elevator, had the gangway door right under it and it had a connecting door to the next room...I could hear everything the next door people said (and they weren't talking loudly) and their TV!!  Worst room ever!

 

Deck 3 is VERY quiet! But on embarkation morning there was alot of noise while they started unloading luggage and loading other stuff. I would book this cabin category again in a heartbeat. Only drawback is that it's tricky to get to some places because there is no access to the front stairs/elevators. But I caught on quick.

 

Thanks for reminding me about connecting doors.  We’ve been in two cabins that had connecting doors.  One was in a C and one was in a Vista Suite.  Both times we could hear talking and the tv.  We were surprised to have a connecting door in the bedroom of the Vista Suite on the Nautica.  One of the first mornings, the couple next door had their tv on and were arguing loudly.  We ended up sitting next to them at lunch on a ship’s excursion the same day.  When I said we were their neighbors and could hear them, they were a bit mortified.  I only told them we could hear them because they asked.  Never heard another peep coming from their cabin.

 

We met a couple who were on deck 3 because those were the only cabins left.  They said they were pleasantly surprised with the room and would book it again.  So thanks for the affirmation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

All showers now have glass doors on the newly refurbished ships with Insignia being the first. 

Wow....this thread is still alive?🙂

 

Almost all, Lisa...my accessible cabin (4028), had a curtain so wheelchairs could more easily roll in and out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob brown said:

Wow....this thread is still alive?🙂

 

Almost all, Lisa...my accessible cabin (4028), had a curtain so wheelchairs could more easily roll in and out...

 

That's true...I wasn't thinking of the accessible cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob brown said:

Wow....this thread is still alive?🙂

 

 

Yep, alive as you are, Bob!!  Hope you and Betsy are doing great!!!😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sirena had the glass shower doors first when it was refurbed after being acquired from princess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you handle cash?  Was easy enough to find ATM machines located n each ports?  How much on hand cash would be a fair amount to carry from home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tvlbum said:

How did you handle cash?  Was easy enough to find ATM machines located n each ports?  How much on hand cash would be a fair amount to carry from home?

 

I took $2K to start, but it didn't last for the 6 months despite trying to use my CC as much as possible. I have a checking account with Charles Schwab that I use exclusively for travel as I'm reimbursed for any ATM fees worldwide, plus it keeps vacation money separate from my main checking account. 

 

How much cash will you need? Only you can determine that. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I haven't been on a super-long cruise like the ATW (we did 24 days once) I've never had a problem finding an ATM.  My bank doesn't charge us for using ATMs and it also doesn't charge for currency conversion.

 

That being said, I'm sure on the ATW there will be some places where ATMs could be hard to find.  It's not like every port is a large city.

 

We prefer to use local currency -- unless we're some place that prefers good old greenbacks.  When we did the Black Sea cruise in 2012 most of the guides wanted U.S. dollars.

 

Mura

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did everyone find their homes when they returned after 6mos or longer for some?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mura said:

While I haven't been on a super-long cruise like the ATW (we did 24 days once) I've never had a problem finding an ATM.  My bank doesn't charge us for using ATMs and it also doesn't charge for currency conversion.

 

That being said, I'm sure on the ATW there will be some places where ATMs could be hard to find.  It's not like every port is a large city.

 

We prefer to use local currency -- unless we're some place that prefers good old greenbacks.  When we did the Black Sea cruise in 2012 most of the guides wanted U.S. dollars.

 

Mura

 

 

I found that US dollars were accepted in most places so no need to get many, many different currencies. I did get yen, yuan, euros, and pounds because I was in those places longer. I was able to get US dollars onboard at the ATM in the casino.

 

Personally, I don't like to waste time finding ATMs in each port...rather see the city/country. Sometimes they were at the pier, but not often.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tvlbum said:

How did everyone find their homes when they returned after 6mos or longer for some?

 

Well...this was an issue for me. 🙁

 

One of my daughters was coming over once a week to be sure the faucets were dripping (during winter) and to flush toilets, water the plants and drive the car around a little. She did her best, but there were still some problems. 

 

First, my car died in May...the starter went bad. AAA said they'd tow it to the dealer if I emailed her a copy of my AAA card and my driver's license, but then they changed their minds. So I was able to arrange for a neighbor to tow it. Finally got fixed just 2 weeks before I got home!

 

3 raccoons took up residence in my detached garage (I live rural) so those needed to move out.

 

Luckily a neighbor mowed the lawn and shoveled snow so the place did look lived in. I changed my address to my daughters house so she collected the mail and all bills were on auto pay. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Personally, I don't like to waste time finding ATMs in each port...rather see the city/country. Sometimes they were at the pier, but not often.

 

 

I've not experienced problems in easily finding an ATM even in not so large places.  BUT a cruise like the ATW is more likely to encounter ports where it indeed could be difficult.  I wouldn't be likely to search out an ATM where the currency is one of the usual ones (like euros or pounds) and we're only in port for one day.  I never find have a "wealth" of euros or pounds since we use them so often on trips.  I have a little bank of foreign currencies at home, but no, no yuans, yen or the like!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mura said:

I've not experienced problems in easily finding an ATM even in not so large places.  BUT a cruise like the ATW is more likely to encounter ports where it indeed could be difficult.  

 

I didn't say I couldn't find an ATM, but who wants to waste time finding them when you are visiting 90+ ports!! Saving time to see those many ports without worrying about finding an ATM was a priority for me...(can't speak for others though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

I didn't say I couldn't find an ATM, but who wants to waste time finding them when you are visiting 90+ ports!! Saving time to see those many ports without worrying about finding an ATM was a priority for me...(can't speak for others though).

I realized that you weren't saying you COULDN'T find an ATM, and that you didn't want to waste time looking for one!  You were very clear in your message.

 

What I meant in turn is that I've never have to search one out!  That's all.

 

I'm not trying to convert you to my way of getting funds on a trip ... but perhaps newbies would like to see differing opinions. 

 

And note that I did say it could well be different on a 6 month cruise!  In fact I expect that it would be.  When I use an ATM it's to get significant cash -- perhaps $200?  That means we'll be using that currency for a while.  I wouldn't be going to an ATM each and every day to get cash I'll only use once unless I had to.  (Say, for example, my private guide wants currency -- their own currency and not U.S. dollars -- and doesn't take credit cards.)  I've not run into that myself because when they've wanted cash it was either pristine greenbacks or credit cards were okay.  But they won't always be ... depending on where you are.

 

Are we on the same wavelength now?

 

 

That's all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mura said:

And note that I did say it could well be different on a 6 month cruise!  In fact I expect that it would be. 

 

Since this was our world cruise thread, I was sharing my thoughts and experiences in dealing with cash for a 6 month long cruise...as requested by tvlbum.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this one more time:  I was aware of that.  I also made it clear that I was talking about SHORTER trips.  I don't consider that to be hijacking a thread.  Sue me if you disagree.  I'm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

Since this was our world cruise thread, I was sharing my thoughts and experiences in dealing with cash for a 6 month long cruise...as requested by tvlbum.😉

Thanks Go-Bucks, I understood what you posted and you answered my question thoroughly.  Sorry if I hit a sore spot with others or they did not understand my question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tvlbum said:

Thanks Go-Bucks, I understood what you posted and you answered my question thoroughly.  Sorry if I hit a sore spot with others or they did not understand my question.

 

Not sure what happened but I'm glad your question was answered. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...