Reading posts, it appears the lounge is "not used that much", which leads me to believe that other than price and snacks there isn't much advantage to booking a studio cabin.  Comments from those who have used them please.  I know every cruise is different ...

I used it quite a bit on my 11 day cruise.  Since the bed is the only place to sit in the room, the lounge is more comfortable.  Also, you never know when someone will come through who wishes to talk.  The crowd ebbs and  flows but the lounge is an all day meeting place and the solo director posted the day's planned activities there.  There are pastries and cereal in the morning and cookies the rest of the time.  Cold juice in the morning and iced tea the rest of the time.  The coffee machine made several types of coffee including cappuccino and hot  water for tea.  There was also a bartender there for 2 or 3 hours a night. 

Posted (edited)

On my Mediterranean cruise in April, the studio lounge was used a lot late in the afternoon, when the bar was open and the solos host was there. However, you don't have to be in a studio to attend the solo passengers' gathering each afternoon (and on NCL ships without a studio lounge it is held in whatever lounge is convenient).

I agree that price is the main reason. Unless you can book when the single supplement is removed or reduced, usually very close to the departure date, an inside double will cost more than a studio. When there's no single supplement (rare) an outside double could cost less than a studio. Waiting for favorable terms is a good strategy if your schedule is completely flexible and you can get to the departure port without a high last-minute air fare.

Some other cruise lines have have ships with single inside cabins (without the special decor and lighting of NCL studios).  For example, Radiance-class ships on RCI have a very small number of single insides, at lower fares than NCL studios. I have one booked for 2020 and to get it I had to book almost on the day that bookings for that itinerary opened.

Edited by kochleffel

• Thanks.  I didn't know you could attend a singles/solo gathering on NCL without a studio!  I have only sailed NCL once (prefer Princess or Carnival) and it was not as a solo.  The only time I experienced a great singles meet/greet/mingle was on a Princess transatlantic to Europe several years ago.  Perhaps I will have to reconsider …  

I enjoy cruising for the experience of being on the ocean, not the waterworks, corny pool games, etc.  Therefore, I usually try for a balcony even though they are so expensive.  Nothing beats watching the ocean go by on a warm, sunny day ...