Sign in to follow this  
pf778c

Sur, Oman?

My upcoming Shadow cruise features a stop in Sur, with only one offered tour - an underwhelming trek about the city.  I believe Mr. Spectre did a stop here not too long ago.  Would anyone have any recommendations?  I've done some internet sleuthing as well, but am really having trouble coming up with anything tempting for this port.

Thanks,

Bechi

Hi Bechi,

When does your voyage begin? Sometimes the excursions appear slowly on the website in the months leading up to embarkation. Example: Haines, in Alaska for next May, had zero listed excursions for a long time, then one for a few weeks, and then more appeared. If Sur is a relatively new port, they are likely scouting excursions and working with vendors.

Hi Unibok,

Sur is scheduled for the 28th of April, so just under four months away.  What I'm most discouraged of, however, is the lack of options I'm finding outside of Silversea.  Worst case, we'll just consider it an additional "sea day", which I rather enjoy!

Thanks!

Bechi

11 hours ago, pf778c said:

My upcoming Shadow cruise features a stop in Sur, with only one offered tour - an underwhelming trek about the city.  I believe Mr. Spectre did a stop here not too long ago.  Would anyone have any recommendations?  I've done some internet sleuthing as well, but am really having trouble coming up with anything tempting for this port.

Thanks,

Bechi

Hi, we stopped in Salalah and disembarked in Muscat. We have previously also been to Khasab. I had never heard of Sur, but it’s probably cheaper than stopping in Muscat. Please let us know what you think of it.

Hi Bechi,

We are on that cruise too.  I read that  Sur and/or Khasab have a market or "souk" near the dock, so DH and I will probably have a walk, although I am not much into dickering so it may be just enough to get a taste of the area.  There should also be a local guide or welcome desk either on the ship or at the terminal to give suggestions.    "Google Earth" gives a good idea of where the main population areas are.   Based on the board recommendations, we are taking the jeep tour at Salalah.

Wow.  I didn't realize Sur was a new port to Silversea.  Supposedly Sur was once an equine Mecca and home to the birth of the Arabian bloodlines.  Some horsey stuff would do me quite well, but from all I can uncover there are a few serious Arabian horse trainers still plying their trade there, but no one that would be interested in taking me out for a nice gallop through the sands.  I do wish we were stopping in Muscat instead; so many more options there.  I'll probably take a peek at the souq as well, but not being a shopper to begin with, any sign of a hard sell will have me fleeing for the ship!

I'm planning on doing some diving in Khasab, and have reserved the jeep tour in Salalah as well, so will see you there, darntrdr.  We've also reserved Petra and the Egypt overland tour.

Bechi

Should be a toasty 95F+ in late April.  Probably a good day to find a shady spot around the pool and a tall cold drink.