Cruise Critic Community
pcvtmom

Short time in Budapest...what's near the terminal?

Due to our flight schedule, we will only be in Budapest a short time before leaving on our river boat cruise.  For those of you familiar with the area, what's there to do and see near the terminal?  We want to make the most of the little time we'll have!  Thanks, in advance.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Due to our flight schedule, we will only be in Budapest a short time before leaving on our river boat cruise.  For those of you familiar with the area, what's there to do and see near the terminal?  We want to make the most of the little time we'll have!  Thanks, in advance.

Are you asking about the river boat docks or the airport terminal? 

Edited by dogs4fun

Sorry...the river boat docks.   Also, we're there on a Sunday, so I know many places will be closed (like Great Market Hall :classic_sad:).

1 hour ago, pcvtmom said:

Sorry...the river boat docks.   Also, we're there on a Sunday, so I know many places will be closed (like Great Market Hall :classic_sad:).

Your docking location will depend on your cruise line. Most river cruise ships dock between the Chain and Liberty bridges on the Pest side of the Danube. Our most recent visit to Budapest was November, 2018 - we stayed 5 days.

There is much to see and do on a Sunday & you will be located in a central part of the city. Metro is easy to use as are the trams - taxi is also available. How much time do you have & what are your interests?

Below is a short list of venues open on Sunday -it is by no means comprehensive:

PEST side:

Shopping - tons of shops/restaurants along Vaci street - open on Sunday.

Parliament - book tours online if you are interested:  http://latogatokozpont.parlament.hu/en/home

Shoes on the Danube are located just a short walk from the Parliament building.

St. Stephen's Basilica (open 1pm-4pm)

Dohany Street Synagogue (open till 3:30pm)

House of Terror

Franz Liszt Academy of Music

Buda side:

Royal Palace (National Gallery, Budapest History Museum)

Are you sure your cruise doesn’t include a full day in Budapest the second day? On our Amawaterways Cruise we did. 

We're traveling with Gate 1,  and according to the itinerary,  we're embarking at 2:00, having a Welcome Aboard dinner that evening, and "river cruise" is listed for overnight.  The next day, we're in Bratislava.  Our flight arrives at 11:30, so I figure we have a few hours before the Welcome Aboard and sailing. "Dogs4Fun", thanks for the list of possibilities! I see several things of interest on there, (along with a visit to a bar for local wine or beer!)  

4 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

We're traveling with Gate 1,  and according to the itinerary,  we're embarking at 2:00, having a Welcome Aboard dinner that evening, and "river cruise" is listed for overnight.  The next day, we're in Bratislava.  Our flight arrives at 11:30, so I figure we have a few hours before the Welcome Aboard and sailing. "Dogs4Fun", thanks for the list of possibilities! I see several things of interest on there, (along with a visit to a bar for local wine or beer!)  

That looks like a really tight schedule, in our humble opinion.

16 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise which ended in Budapest. Our ship (Monarch Baroness) was docked very close to the Elisabeth Bridge (between the Chain and Elisabeth Bridges) This is mere steps from the Legenda Cruise dock (Legenda offers day/evening/dinner cruises in Budapest & you can google their location on Google Maps).

If you are interested in seeing as much of Budapest as possible, you can always skip the welcome dinner aboard ship & tool around the city on your own until boarding time - you can check with your ship when you board as to the time you will be required to be aboard.

FWIW, you are very close to Vorosmarty ter (about an 8 min walk from where we docked) and from Vorosmarty, you can shop along Vaci street, grab a pastry at the famous Gerbeaud Cafe, visit the Hard Rock Cafe, or catch the #1 Metro (entrance located right in front of Gerbeaud). Additionally, there is a very large store on the corner of Vigado & Vorosmarty - Paprika Market. It is touted as the biggest souvenir shop in Budapest & is a cut above the usual souvenir shops - it carries some pretty unique stuff.

I spend about 3 months in Europe each year & am relatively familiar with Budapest. On our recent Gate 1 cruise, we scrapped several of the included walking tours and elected to DIY in order to maximize our time in certain cities. For example, on the evening of our arrival in Vienna, I had booked dinner reservations at the wonderful Figlmuller's & we took the tram into the city. The next morning, we had the early bird breakfast and were into the city (again via tram) and arrived at  Schonbrunn palace just as they opened (thus beating the tourist hordes). We we able to see a ton in that single day - much more than those who availed themselves of the included tour.

When we docked in Linz - we took the train to Salzburg rather than booking the optional tour through Gate 1. Benefit was more time spent in Salzburg, actually toured the sites we wanted (Mozart residence, Mozart birth house, took the funicular up to the fortress, had a nice lunch in the city & walked Mirabell Gardens before catching the train back to Linz.

I'm not recommending that you ditch any of your tours - I only ditched the tours in the cities I had visited on multiple occasions so as to show my family some sights they would otherwise not visit.

I am simply saying that there are options even though your time may be tight. Budapest is one such example and if I were to weigh the welcome aboard dinner against spending more time in Budapest, the city would win hands down.

Just sayin :classic_happy:

Edited by dogs4fun

If there is anyway you can change your flight and fly in early DO!!!  Budapest is a wonderful city to explore!  A couple of hours can not touch the surface and it is probably not somewhere you will return to.

I agree with deec.  It would be a shame not to experience Budapest while you are there.  If you can change your flight, try to get tickets to the Parliament before you go.

Have a great trip. I would recommend heading directly to ship from airport, check in, and find out from them what actual time frame you have to explore...There are a lot of things to do near where the boats are moored.

I do not know where you are flying from....but that sounds like a pretty tight schedule. Not allowing for any mishaps...Suggestion for a day ahead, night in Budapest, you can relax, breathe, and be glad you do not have to rush.....

Caripoo, we booked the entire package, including flights, through Gate 1.  It's our first river cruise (and only second time to Europe), so we went with the "safe" choice.  My husband and I recently retired, so we anticipate more travel in our future.  Perhaps next time we will see Budapest in a more leisurely fashion.

We did this cruise on the Monarch Empress, and it was fantastic! You will have such a wonderful time on this ship and at the ports. With a short time in Budapest, there is still much to see. The House of Terror was an unexpected experience for me since I learned so much of how Budapest was terrorized by the Nazis and the Communists. But I think I would recommend going to the thermal baths since that is such a special Budapest experience. The one right across the bridge from where you will be, St. Gellert, is very beautiful although you can take the train out to the Szechenyi Baths which has more indoor and outdoor pools.