Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CRu1853!!

Boston on your own

Recommended Posts

Cruising with Holland end of April. Looking for info/ideas for touring on our own and any Hop on Hop off trolley ideas.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoy walking thru the streets of Boston and their parks.

 

We take the shuttle bus from the pier to Faneuil Hall Park. And then walk along Tremont Street and the Boston Commons and Public Gardens. There are many sites that you will come upon.

 

We have been to Boston so many times that we like to leisurely just stroll around and even pick a restaurant to enjoy the local fare..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are HOHO options in Boston.  There is the Freedom Trail.  Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  Tons of stuff to do.

 

Whatever you are interested in you will likely find here.  What are your interests?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Old Town Trolley has a connector trolley that stops near the pier at stop 17A. https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

 

It takes you to Stop1 where you can transfer to the main trolley loop.

 

The Silver Line bus stops near the pier.  For $2.75 you can go to South Station to do a free transfer to the Red Line subway.  The Red Line will take you to Park Street for the Boston Common and the beginning of the Freedom Trail.  The Red Line also goes directly to Harvard Square and has free transfers to the Orange and Green lines to go elsewhere in Boston.  https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/maps/2018-04-map-rapid-transit-key-bus-v31a.pdf

 

Lots of possibilities.  If you want to go elsewhere, post back for suggestions.  If you want to go out to the Constitution, the suggestion is to do that first by Uber and work your way back via MBTA water taxi, walking back to the Common, and Red Line/Silver Line back to the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, 138east said:

The Old Town Trolley has a connector trolley that stops near the pier at stop 17A. https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

 

It takes you to Stop1 where you can transfer to the main trolley loop.

 

The Silver Line bus stops near the pier.  For $2.75 you can go to South Station to do a free transfer to the Red Line subway.  The Red Line will take you to Park Street for the Boston Common and the beginning of the Freedom Trail.  The Red Line also goes directly to Harvard Square and has free transfers to the Orange and Green lines to go elsewhere in Boston.  https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/maps/2018-04-map-rapid-transit-key-bus-v31a.pdf

 

Lots of possibilities.  If you want to go elsewhere, post back for suggestions.  If you want to go out to the Constitution, the suggestion is to do that first by Uber and work your way back via MBTA water taxi, walking back to the Common, and Red Line/Silver Line back to the port.

We’ll be in Boston from 0800 till 1800. We are thinking of doing the HOHO for the full circuit then maybe take it around again getting off in the areas we want to spend more time. We would like to walk some of the Freedom Trail and have lunch at a “local” restaurant. We are more into history of the area.

Thanks for ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, CRu1853!! said:

We’ll be in Boston from 0800 till 1800. We are thinking of doing the HOHO for the full circuit then maybe take it around again getting off in the areas we want to spend more time. We would like to walk some of the Freedom Trail and have lunch at a “local” restaurant. We are more into history of the area.

Thanks for ideas.

Just be aware that the HOHO can suck up an inordinate amount of your time, if you wish to get on and off a lot, and during peak times.  Just because there may be a trolley coming in 5 minutes, or you see one approaching your stop, that doesn't mean it will stop to pick you up if it is already full.  Sometimes waits can get quite frustrating.

 

The Freedom Trail is only 2.5 miles, and some of that can be bypassed.  As Carol (138east) says, take an Uber to Charlestown to see the Constitution and Bunker Hill, then a water taxi back to the North End, and finish the Freedom Trail from there to the Common.  Dining in the North End is a problem of overabundance of good places, I would stay away from the Quincy Market restaurants myself, but "walking" food in Faneuil Hall is good.  Have a rest and a beer at the Bell in Hand, one of the oldest taverns around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the Hoho downtown is that the streets are narrow and the trolley doesn’t actually pass by the actual site.  For example in the North End you have to walk in to see Old North Church, the Paul Revere House, and Copps Hill Burying Ground,. Same with the Constitution - you can see the ship from the street, but that’s about it.  That’s why they created the Freedom Trail - a well marked walking route through Old Boston that makes sure you actually pass by the historical sites with an opportunity to explore them more closely should you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From our pier, we took the public silverline bus and metro in to the Boston Commons and then walked the Freedom Trail.  I'd downloaded the pamphlet onto my tablet so it was really easy to do a self-guided tour.  Highly recommended for the sheer history.  We also walked part of the "Emerald Necklace" of parks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Enjoyed this thread. I will be in Boston in September on Carnival. We are there until 10pm. Is the MBTA a good option for returning late in the evening? Can you enjoy walking around public areas after dark? I assume the public gardens close at sunset? I am not interested in a baseball game. I would like to just enjoy the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What time do you arrive?  What day of the week?

 

The public gardens are open until 11 pm, but would not suggest exploring them after dark.  MBTA would be fine in the evening.  Realistically, you would have to be back at the ship by 9:30 pm and would have to allow ample time to do that which means starting back from downtown about 8:30 if you need to do MBTA transfers.  Depending on where you are, Uber can be a fast and inexpensive option in the evening.  From Faneuil Hall you would walk out to Atlantic Ave southbound to position yourself for the fastest route back to the ship.  Same idea if you’re in the North End - get yourselves out to a major artery like Atlantic Ave, Commercial Street or Cross Street.

 

Silver Line SL2 runs about every 15 minutes on a weekday evening.  Be sure to download the schedule - https://www.mbta.com/schedules/742/schedule?date=2019-02-25&direction_id=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if RCCL offers a free shuttle from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Fanuiel Hall Park?  We will be in Boston on 5/2 and didn’t want to do the HOHO this time, but did want to wander through Quincy Market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, 487 said:

Does anyone know if RCCL offers a free shuttle from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Fanuiel Hall Park?  We will be in Boston on 5/2 and didn’t want to do the HOHO this time, but did want to wander through Quincy Market.

They are likely to offer a shuttle, but it won’t be free.

 

My suggestion would be to Uber or cab to Atlantic & State and walk into the Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area from Atlantic Ave northbound so you don’t get caught in the narrow one way side streets.  Coming back walk out to Atlantic Ave southbound to get an Uber or cab back to the port.  

 

Public Transit is an option but IMO it’s a PITA from Black Falcon - Silver Line to Red Line to Orange or Green Line plus some walking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took that RCCL cruise this past summer and don't recall any ship shuttles (free or not) into the city.  Just take that Silverline Bus.  It is so convenient and fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we cruised there several years ago, we walked from the terminal to the city, around to several sights, and back.  It was an easy enough walk, but now I have no concept of how far it was.  Can someone fill that in for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, CRu1853!! said:

Cruising with Holland end of April. Looking for info/ideas for touring on our own and any Hop on Hop off trolley ideas.

Thanks

here’s some information on Boston. If you’re looking for a great place to visit. If you’re healthy and can walk Boston is great. From the ship if you got the day take a cab ride to the Aquarium. It’s across from Fanuel Hall so you can visit that which is the big tourist destination. Live street performance shops and restaurant area.

Same walking distance is the historic North End. Excellent Italian food everywhere. Hanover St. Mikes pastry’s is the favorite for tourists. But those who know better Modern pastry across the street. Heavenly cannolis. Almond cookies. Cappuccino espresso. It’s as close to Italy as ya get without crossing the big pond. For cheap excellent Italian food Galleria Umberto On Hanover. Regina original pizza is the best. Also the little joints have great food. Cash is king in the north End. 

Boston harbor island tours are excellent cruise out to old civil war fort/prison. Harpoon Brewery has a beer hall.

No Name restaurant has the best seafood chowder. J Hooks lobster rolls are delicious. You can walk to the public gardens. Freedom trail.

North End has Paul Revere house museum. Old north Church. 

Original cheers bar is near public garden. Museum of contemporary art is on waterfront. Rowe’s warf has party boats. Near Aquarium is duck boat and other tours.

Fenway Park has tours. Like $25 pp. You could get lucky and find tickets for games. Tasty burger is on the corner and has $10 cheeseburgers and fries and 16 Pabst beer. Amazing.

 In August the north End has many Italian festivals. TripAdvisor yelp for specific information.

If you need help getting around the bus tours near Aquarium are great. Even hop on hop off bus ride. Cobblestones also so hiking shoes are great. Merrill’s or north face.  We learned from a Europe trip that sturdy low top hiking shoes for walking on uneven cobblestones are great.  

Boston harbor island cruise tours right near sea aquarium. Ride out to old civil war fort. Beautiful view of Boston. J Hooks lobster rolls are excellent. TripAdvisor yelp for specific information. Love Boston. 10,000 step day. Freedom trail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cementhands said:

here’s some information on Boston. If you’re looking for a great place to visit. If you’re healthy and can walk Boston is great. From the ship if you got the day take a cab ride to the Aquarium. It’s across from Fanuel Hall so you can visit that which is the big tourist destination. Live street performance shops and restaurant area.

Same walking distance is the historic North End. Excellent Italian food everywhere. Hanover St. Mikes pastry’s is the favorite for tourists. But those who know better Modern pastry across the street. Heavenly cannolis. Almond cookies. Cappuccino espresso. It’s as close to Italy as ya get without crossing the big pond. For cheap excellent Italian food Galleria Umberto On Hanover. Regina original pizza is the best. Also the little joints have great food. Cash is king in the north End. 

Boston harbor island tours are excellent cruise out to old civil war fort/prison. Harpoon Brewery has a beer hall.

No Name restaurant has the best seafood chowder. J Hooks lobster rolls are delicious. You can walk to the public gardens. Freedom trail.

North End has Paul Revere house museum. Old north Church. 

Original cheers bar is near public garden. Museum of contemporary art is on waterfront. Rowe’s warf has party boats. Near Aquarium is duck boat and other tours.

Fenway Park has tours. Like $25 pp. You could get lucky and find tickets for games. Tasty burger is on the corner and has $10 cheeseburgers and fries and 16 Pabst beer. Amazing.

 In August the north End has many Italian festivals. TripAdvisor yelp for specific information.

If you need help getting around the bus tours near Aquarium are great. Even hop on hop off bus ride. Cobblestones also so hiking shoes are great. Merrill’s or north face.  We learned from a Europe trip that sturdy low top hiking shoes for walking on uneven cobblestones are great.  

Boston harbor island cruise tours right near sea aquarium. Ride out to old civil war fort. Beautiful view of Boston. J Hooks lobster rolls are excellent. TripAdvisor yelp for specific information. Love Boston. 10,000 step day. Freedom trail. 

This is great information.  Thank you.  

 

My friend and I will be on the Carnival Sunrise in September which arrives in Boston at  3:00 p.m. (We leave Boston at 10:00 p.m.). So, we probably won’t be off the ship until at least 3:30 p.m.  What would you do in Boston under those circumstances?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When we cruised there several years ago, we walked from the terminal to the city, around to several sights, and back.  It was an easy enough walk, but now I have no concept of how far it was.  Can someone fill that in for me?

 

It's a solid 1.5 miles from the pier to get across the bridges to the central part of Boston.  Then another half mile to Faneuil Hall, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

 

It's a solid 1.5 miles from the pier to get across the bridges to the central part of Boston.  Then another half mile to Faneuil Hall, etc.

We ended up taking the Silverline bus then subway to the Boston Commons after I realized (if I recall correctly) that 1.5 mile walk from the ship to town was on city streets with traffic. So I decided on public transportation, an easy and fast method to get to the Commons, thus saving my back for our walk on Freedom Trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 7:53 PM, antmaril said:

This is great information.  Thank you.  

 

My friend and I will be on the Carnival Sunrise in September which arrives in Boston at  3:00 p.m. (We leave Boston at 10:00 p.m.). So, we probably won’t be off the ship until at least 3:30 p.m.  What would you do in Boston under those circumstances?  

I would recommend a cab to the Aquarium. From there you can walk to Fanuel Hall and tourist restaurants. Or from Aquarium walk to Hanover st and Boston north End great resteraunts. Comedy improv on Hanover is fun shows are around 8 pm. 

Night time walking tours. 

Harpoon Brewery has events and the Contemporary art museum is free on Thursday night. In same are is No Name restaurant excellent seafood chowder. If you’re healthy and can walk it’s about a mile from cruise ship.

Near Aquarium is hop on hop off bus. Duck boat tours. Boston harbor island tours. Other boat tours. 

Bostons pretty safe in the public areas. But being in a group much better in the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cementhands said:

I would recommend a cab to the Aquarium. From there you can walk to Fanuel Hall and tourist restaurants. Or from Aquarium walk to Hanover st and Boston north End great resteraunts. Comedy improv on Hanover is fun shows are around 8 pm. 

Night time walking tours. 

Harpoon Brewery has events and the Contemporary art museum is free on Thursday night. In same are is No Name restaurant excellent seafood chowder. If you’re healthy and can walk it’s about a mile from cruise ship.

Near Aquarium is hop on hop off bus. Duck boat tours. Boston harbor island tours. Other boat tours. 

Bostons pretty safe in the public areas. But being in a group much better in the evening.

Great.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RCCL does offer a shuttle to Fanuil Hall. In 2017 it was $20 found trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mets123 said:

RCCL does offer a shuttle to Fanuil Hall. In 2017 it was $20 found trip.

Maybe Carnival will do the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, antmaril said:

Maybe Carnival will do the same.  

For 2 people that’s $40!!!!  Round trip Uber or taxi to Atlantic and State (Aquarium) would be a lot less than that.  You can easily walk into the east end of the market area from there.

 

The market area all faces internally.  The surrounding streets are narrow and one way.  North and South Market Sts. are pedestrian only.   You’d have to walk at least short block into the market area from any drop off point.  IMO the quickest way to get there is to get dropped off on Atlantic Ave northbound and picked up on Atlantic southbound.  Traffic moves on this street - it’s the Rose Kennedy Greenway and was developed as part of the “Big Dig”, so it’s all relatively new with good access to the Seaport area.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Greenway and Big Dig were built with your tax dollars (if you are from USA) so you might as well see what you paid for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...