Cruise Critic Community
662c

Buying Tequila

We are going to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV which port would be the best one to buy tequila to take home?  Are there any places close to the cruise ports?

3 hours ago, 662c said:

We are going to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV which port would be the best one to buy tequila to take home?  Are there any places close to the cruise ports?

I guess it might depend on what kind of Tequilia.  Here in Mexico we can find some Tequilia for about $6 a liter (El Compadre) and there are also some Tequilas that can cost hundreds of dollars a liter.  For basic stuff you might want to shop here in Puerto Vallarta because the port is within walking distance of both Walmart and Sam's....both of whom have several types of Tequila at decent prices.  For more exotic types of Tequila we have a few local liquor stores that have a decent selection...but are not so convenient to the port.  My only advice would be to price-out brands you like, before you leave home so you can do a real comparison to what the same (or similar quality) costs here in Mexico.

Hank

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I guess it might depend on what kind of Tequilia.  Here in Mexico we can find some Tequilia for about $6 a liter (El Compadre) and there are also some Tequilas that can cost hundreds of dollars a liter.  For basic stuff you might want to shop here in Puerto Vallarta because the port is within walking distance of both Walmart and Sam's....both of whom have several types of Tequila at decent prices.  For more exotic types of Tequila we have a few local liquor stores that have a decent selection...but are not so convenient to the port.  My only advice would be to price-out brands you like, before you leave home so you can do a real comparison to what the same (or similar quality) costs here in Mexico.

Hank

Have you seen anybody selling Tekali tequila?

2 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Have you seen anybody selling Tekali tequila?

Your question is one of those weird deja vu kind of things.  We arrived in our Condo, last Saturday, and there was about 1/4 of a bottle of Tekali Coffee Tequilia/Liquor sitting on the counter....obviously left by the prior renters :).  I kid you not.  And it is the first time I have ever seen the stuff.  My assumption is that is was purchased at either Vinos America or Le Playa which are the two major liquor stores within a few minutes walk of our condo.  But to give you a direct answer, since I have never looked for Tekali I cannot be sure.  If I remember, the next time I am in the booze store I will take a look.  Just keep in mind that we live in the Old Town/Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta which is about 4 miles from the Port.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

Your question is one of those weird deja vu kind of things.  We arrived in our Condo, last Saturday, and there was about 1/4 of a bottle of Tekali Coffee Tequilia/Liquor sitting on the counter....obviously left by the prior renters :).  I kid you not.  And it is the first time I have ever seen the stuff.  My assumption is that is was purchased at either Vinos America or Le Playa which are the two major liquor stores within a few minutes walk of our condo.  But to give you a direct answer, since I have never looked for Tekali I cannot be sure.  If I remember, the next time I am in the booze store I will take a look.  Just keep in mind that we live in the Old Town/Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta which is about 4 miles from the Port.

Hank

Did you give it a try? I love the coffee flavor. We normally buy it at Liquis in Algodonnes, but the kids will be looking for some while on the cruise. 

13 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Did you give it a try? I love the coffee flavor. We normally buy it at Liquis in Algodonnes, but the kids will be looking for some while on the cruise. 

Have not tried it yet but figure that one evening it will replace my normal Cognac :).  The stuff smells delicious.  My booze life down here is primarily margaritas (I call my own "killer margaritas) for which I use just basic Reposados like Jimador.  Using a really good tequila in a margarita is a waste of money.  My margaritas have no mixers or sweeteners and are just my own formula of tequila,  Controy (Mexican version of Cointreau...but sweeter) and fresh lime juice!  While a lot of purists prefer using Silver tequila, I like the more pronounced flavor of Reposados.  

Hank

I have had several Margarita's prepared by Hank and can vouch for them!

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, mexico8 said:

I have had several Margarita's prepared by Hank and can vouch for them!

LOL,  Get yourself over here (anytime) and have some more :).

Hank

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, mkcurran said:

So tonight was the night::).   I just had a small glass of that coffee flavored Tekali tequila.   It was too easy to drink, but a bit too sweet for my taste.  My "booze destroyed" palate tasted some coffee and chocolate...but when DW had a small sip she only tasted coffee.  I think it would appeal to folks who prefer a sweeter drink without much tequila taste.  At the risk of offending half the world I would call it a "girlie" drink :).  I do look forward to drinking the rest of that bottle (over a few nights) to see if I discover the error of my review.

Hank

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, mkcurran said:

Yesterday I was at my favorite booze store, Vinos America, and checked to see if they have your Tekali.  They have both the coffee and almond flavored versions for 125 Pesos or about $6.75 (US).  Vinos America is only convenient (for you) if you happen to be in the southside of town (Zona Romantica or Old Town).  The liquor stored is located on Basillio Badilo north of Vallarta (about 4 blocks from the beach).

Hank

Have never noticed that brand, but would sure love to taste the Anjeo if you are buying :).

Hank

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yesterday I was at my favorite booze store, Vinos America, and checked to see if they have your Tekali.  They have both the coffee and almond flavored versions for 125 Pesos or about $6.75 (US).  Vinos America is only convenient (for you) if you happen to be in the southside of town (Zona Romantica or Old Town).  The liquor stored is located on Basillio Badilo north of Vallarta (about 4 blocks from the beach).

Hank

Mucho Gracias Senor. And yes, it is kind of a girly drink, sweet and smooth.

14 hours ago, Hoofhearted+1 said:

As long as we are throwing out brand names of tequila, have you ever seen this one?

Regalo de Dios

IMG_8611.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

Actually I remember that one from one of the shops along the Malecon that had the free tequila tasting.

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Have never noticed that brand, but would sure love to taste the Anjeo if you are buying :).

Hank

Well I'd be happy to share if I had some!  We did a tequila tasting when we stopped in Cozumel (Playa del Carmen) and this stuff was REALLY smooth.  We should have bought some right then and there but I didn't want to have to carry it back on the bus and then the ship (plus it was $150/bottle - at least that was the price the tequila pusher was quoting).  I've been looking for it since, but its not sold in the upper 48.  Even asked some friends from Texas thinking they might have had some connections across the border but no luck.  If I see some when we are on the western side of the country I will buy it this time.

Cava de Oro, Extra Anejo.

We usually buy this at Casa Tequila in the marina mall in Cabo (Puerto Paraiso). They offer free tastings at Casa Tequila so you can dial in a tequila that meets your own standards for flavor and finish and their prices were the least expensive from my experience walking around the marina.

Be warned, really good tequila isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for if you're seeking a sipping tequila to enjoy.

Also be warned that "Tequila shops" are a dime a dozen in Mexico and often sell brands...not to be found anywhere else.  Some of these places are legit and others are simply fronts for Time Share sales.  Even in Puerto Vallarta we have a few of these places and you will seldom find any residents wasting their time browsing or buying.  We tend to go to decent liquor stores (just like at home) or sometimes places like Walmart, Costco or Sams.  Most of the best brands of Tequila, just like for other booze, are pretty well known with lots of online info, ratings, prices, etc.

Also keep in mind that if you are buying Tequila to simply use in mixed drinks such as margaritas, it makes little sense to purchase really expensive stuff.  The best Tequila should be savored like a good cognac/brandy...without being ruined by any kind of mix.  All my friends have their personal favorite brands and types for margaritas...but none of us is using Tequila that costs us much more then $10- $12 a liter (in Mexico).   If I am going to drink a decent Don Julio Anjeo...it sure will not be mixed with Controy and lime juice :).

Hank

On 1/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Would the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta carry Herradura Anejo or Sotol tequila?

56 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I have no clue :).  Those are not brands I buy and I do not normally buy booze (or much else) at Walmart.  Sorry.  And none of our friends shop at that Walmart.  For expats the popular place is Costco or some of the local markets and liquor stores.

Hank

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have no clue :).  Those are not brands I buy and I do not normally buy booze (or much else) at Walmart.  Sorry.  And none of our friends shop at that Walmart.  For expats the popular place is Costco or some of the local markets and liquor stores.

Hank

No problem Hank!  Thanks for taking the time to reply!

A friend of mine insisted on buying tequila at a grocery store in TJ as an impulse buy.  We found the same exact product in L.A. for less!  So take Hank's advice and do your research first!!

And it is a sin to ruin good sipping booze (rum, tequila, scotch, whatever) with sugary mixes or soda.  I like those no-melt ice squares.

My friend said he can get the Herradura Anejo in the States for $50 so $40 would be a good buy if we can find it.  He’s willing to spend $75 for the Sotol (which I have never heard of).

The Herradura Anejo is soooo smooth that we sipped it straight.  You wouldn’t want to mix it with anything. I haven’t tried Sotol before. 

On 4/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, mthomp5 said:

I seriously doubt Walmart would carry a premium tequila or any sotol (which isn't tequila, it's sotol).

Hacienda de Chihuahua is the only brand of sotol I know. You can buy it at Old Town Tequila in San Diego for around $30 and then tell your friend your had to negotiate in PV to get it down to $75.....

PS Total Wine carries Hacienda de Chihuahua too.

PSS Right above Old Town Tequila is El Agave, which I think is the best Mexican restaurant in San Diego and they carry over 2000 tequilas, sotols and mezcals.

If your tequila is 40%, it’s available in USA. If your tequila is 38%, it’s in Mexico and not the states.

Don’t waste your time buying gringo tequila. There’s some amazing stuff in Mexico you should experience when you’re there. And it’s tequila you’ll never get here (legally). 

We just brought home 7 750ml bottles on our last cruise. Should be enough to get us till next year. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, CA_Cruzing said:

If your tequila is 40%, it’s available in USA. If your tequila is 38%, it’s in Mexico and not the states.

Don’t waste your time buying gringo tequila. There’s some amazing stuff in Mexico you should experience when you’re there. And it’s tequila you’ll never get here (legally). 

We just brought home 7 750ml bottles on our last cruise. Should be enough to get us till next year. 

ROFL!  While I might agree with you on principle, you are wrong to tie the percentage of alcohol to Tequilia in the USA vs Mexico.  For example, one of the more popular cheap Tequilia's in Mexico (used by many bars) is called El Compadre which I believe is only 30%  alcohol...although it is 100% Agave.  But El Compadre costs about $5 a liter :).  The truth is that plenty of Mexicans (and we Gringos who live in Mexico at least part of the time) buy cheap Tequilia on either side of the border.  Keep in mind that the largest selling brand of Tequila in mexico is El Jimador (I use their reposado in my margaritas) which is hardly anything special.   When we first started living in Mexico (13 years ago) it was nearly impossible to find any Patron Tequilia in Puerto Vallarta.  Now, the decent liquor stores sell Patron because it is something wanted by Americans (not sure any Mexicans drink the stuff).  But I do think that Patron is quite decent...if not a bit overpriced.

Hank