Tortola snorkeling Brewers vs long Bay

MNsun2019

Hi. I've been searching the boards here and on tripadvisor to get some input and suggestions and can't quite get a clear answer that is current. We will be in Tortola later this month. Here are my questions:

1- Are there food, restrooms, and chair rentals on Brewers or Long Bay Beach?

2-Is a private taxi a less scary to drive to Brewers, Long Bay, or Cane Garden?

3-Is there off beach snorkeling worth bringing our gear to on any of those beaches? Some posters have said yes for Cane, others no. I'm not clear if Brewers still does or if not since the hurricane.

4-Is Long Bay beach open open given the recent sale? If yes, is there construction going on?

5-Will a taxi come get us from Long Bay or Brewers? ie-can we arrange a pick up or are there typically ones waiting?

Thank you!

Hi! 

First, are you asking about Long Bay (West End) between Apple Bay and Smuggler’s Cove?  Or Long Bay (Beef Island) by the airport and Trellis Bay? Cruise ships are now offering excursions to the latter so I want to be sure we are talking about the same beach...

4 hours ago, blue_water said:

Hi! 

First, are you asking about Long Bay (West End) between Apple Bay and Smuggler’s Cove?  Or Long Bay (Beef Island) by the airport and Trellis Bay? Cruise ships are now offering excursions to the latter so I want to be sure we are talking about the same beach...

I'm not sure which long bay. I didn't realize there were two. I saw "Long Bay" mentioned as a beach alternative for families not wanting the harrowing ride to Cane Garden.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, MNsun2019 said:

Hi. I've been searching the boards here and on tripadvisor to get some input and suggestions and can't quite get a clear answer that is current. We will be in Tortola later this month. Here are my questions:

1- Are there food, restrooms, and chair rentals on Brewers or Long Bay Beach?

Brewers has one beach bar, Nicole’s. They are selling drinks, not sure if the kitchen rebuild is complete yet. Yes to restrooms and lounges.

LB West End beach is open, not sure about lounges but Dan found out that atropicalmFusion Restaurant is open in LB, see last posts in this thread -

2-Is a private taxi a less scary to drive to Brewers, Long Bay, or Cane Garden?

It is a much flatter drive to LB WE if the driver takes the south shore to West End and crosses over to the North Shore Rd on Zion Hill Rd, which is the normal route there.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, MNsun2019 said:

3-Is there off beach snorkeling worth bringing our gear to on any of those beaches? Some posters have said yes for Cane, others no. I'm not clear if Brewers still does or if not since the hurricane.

We’re not avid snorkelers, I’m told there is a section in CGB, but Brewers is considered the best spot.

4-Is Long Bay beach open open given the recent sale? If yes, is there construction going on?

All beaches are open to the public, not sure what activities are taking place right now but there is work going on there.

5-Will a taxi come get us from Long Bay or Brewers? ie-can we arrange a pick up or are there typically ones waiting?

Taxi will return for you at Brewers. You may see taxis parked at LB WE but not sure with the LB Beach Club closed. You will need to ask your driver to return to LB or call one from the restaurant. Our favorite driver lives right by nearby Sebastian’s.

Thank you!

How long are you in port? The best snorkeling would be from a daysail or even Savannah or Spring Bay on Virgin Gorda if that is your main goal. Otherwise for a nice beach with snorkeling right on Tortola Brewers is your best choice IMHO. The ride isn’t that bad, there are a few steeper areas but drivers make this run several times a day all year...

7:30-5:45. The challenge we have is our youngest doesn't like to snorkel, but his sister, dad, and I do. A day trip to Jost and islands sounds amazing, not sure how well that would work. Brewers is still in the lead.

Gotchya! You cannot go wrong with Brewers, and you’d have less time to enjoy snorkeling if going to VG.

Not to confuse you even more, but if you would be more comfortable with a busier beach vibe for your son while the rest of you snorkel, a resident of CGB has posted that he finds good snorkeling right in CGB but it’s not widely known or talked about. I don’t know if this is in an area away from the main beach, and if so it wouldn’t help with your son being around other kids. But I can forward you his post if interested.

But if your son is fine with a more laid back beach Brewers should be your first choice.

Enjoy your visit to Tortola!

I've seen vague mentions of snorkeling on CGB, but nothing that says where.  Forward would be great! I also sent an email to Ocean Magic Mitch, but I'm guessing will be booked up. Sounded like some options there of beach time on Jost.

last question I think...We're 99% heading to Brewer's Bay and as it sounds like the odds of any food options being ready in the week are slim, is there a place anyone would recommend to grab food to take with us as we come off the ship before jumping in a taxi? Our plan is to hire a taxi vs the safari bus so maybe even a good option along the way?

On 1/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, MNsun2019 said:

last question I think...We're 99% heading to Brewer's Bay and as it sounds like the odds of any food options being ready in the week are slim, is there a place anyone would recommend to grab food to take with us as we come off the ship before jumping in a taxi? Our plan is to hire a taxi vs the safari bus so maybe even a good option along the way?

http://frenchdelibvi.com/

Amazing baguette subs and they carry wines, etc. Definitely worth stopping! 

Wickhams Cay II, directions to The Moorings, in the old Clarence Thomas Limited building. They are closed Sundays.