Where are the posts on the Cuba cruises?  Any of you Americans up for it?  Don't want to sail alone 😞

You are not sailing alone, Loving Life. Which voyage are you on? We are on a back-to-back, starting in San Juan on the 26th with the last two days of that voyage being in Cuba, and then the first Cuba voyage (2/4) from Cienfuegos to Havana. We are extremely excited. Although we have spoken to many of our friends who have been to Cuba over the last few years, it seems like the rules change a lot so I don't know what to expect. For instance, one friend was there at a time when you couldn't exchange American dollars to CUC's, and they had to bring euros or pesos to exchange. Others say they had no issue exchanging dollars, although the commission was much higher on dollars than it was on euros.

I'm also wondering about the wifi on SD. We all know that it is normally not the best, but I'm wondering if we will have any wifi in Cuba. And if we do have wifi on the ship, will that mean that we would be able to have our communications (phone, email)? That sounds too good to be true. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zimmy said:

You are not sailing alone, Loving Life. Which voyage are you on? We are on a back-to-back, starting in San Juan on the 26th with the last two days of that voyage being in Cuba, and then the first Cuba voyage (2/4) from Cienfuegos to Havana. We are extremely excited. Although we have spoken to many of our friends who have been to Cuba over the last few years, it seems like the rules change a lot so I don't know what to expect. For instance, one friend was there at a time when you couldn't exchange American dollars to CUC's, and they had to bring euros or pesos to exchange. Others say they had no issue exchanging dollars, although the commission was much higher on dollars than it was on euros.

I'm also wondering about the wifi on SD. We all know that it is normally not the best, but I'm wondering if we will have any wifi in Cuba. And if we do have wifi on the ship, will that mean that we would be able to have our communications (phone, email)? That sounds too good to be true. 

Hi Trap.  The wi-fi goes through the satellite to major land stations.  Not sure which one will be available, probably same one used in Caribbean.  Don't believe they could use a Cuban one.    I don't know if they use available land stations but I would suspect the usual spotty wi-fi.  Ship's business still goes on and they use the satellite internet.  Hoping it is good enough for a Trapper Zimmy on the spot reporting!🍸

Edited by Jim Avery

I wonder, Jim, if they might be close enough to Key West to get wifi from there.  It will be tough being incommunicado for as many days as we will be gone.  But then again, it might be a welcome relief.

Sorry about what happened Monday night.  I feel for you.  We got double-doinked on Sunday.

btw, Zimmy was greatly offended that you looked at her and thought it was me.  Remember, you are the guy who insisted I get my own presence.  Even suggested the pic, which doesn't look at all like the beautiful Zimmy.

33 minutes ago, TrapperZimmy said:

I wonder, Jim, if they might be close enough to Key West to get wifi from there.  It will be tough being incommunicado for as many days as we will be gone.  But then again, it might be a welcome relief.

Sorry about what happened Monday night.  I feel for you.  We got double-doinked on Sunday.

btw, Zimmy was greatly offended that you looked at her and thought it was me.  Remember, you are the guy who insisted I get my own presence.  Even suggested the pic, which doesn't look at all like the beautiful Zimmy.

Forgive me! I am old and drooly and was not wearing my glasses.  And I regularly get smacked about the head by my DW also from Chicago......😳

While on board SD II last week I discussed wifi with a SeaDream exec.  For what it's worth he told me that SD wifi is delivered by satellite so my guess (and that's all it is) is that the on board wifi during the Cuba voyages will be the same as experienced elsewhere on SD.

On a different line, the same thing took place.  WIFI on board was available.  No service while ashore.

You will not be able to get WIFI from Key West.