Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BobInPa

Wearing Shorts on the Anthem's Chilly Sea Days?

Recommended Posts

I will be on the Anthem’s January 18 eight day cruise out of Bayonne.  I know it will be cold during the first and last sea day for sure.  Our cruise has just become one of those 8 day cruises that gets to Canaveral at noon after one and a half sea days and stays over night for another full day.  We don’t know why it was changed but it was.

 
My question is, do I have to wear anything warmer than shorts and a short sleeved shirt when I’m on board during the few possibly cold sea days?  As far as I can tell the only time I would have to be outside is if I were to walk between the Windjammer and the Covered Heated pool.  Is that really about my only chance of getting cold while just walking around?   I tend to stay in the Solarium for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I can easily avoid that chilly H2O Zone area.  Are all other areas of the ship warm enough for shorts from beginning to end of the cruise?
 
Thanks in advance,
Bob      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Warm enough" means different things to different people.  Why don't you bring something warmer than shorts, just in case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on in nov. And wore my jeans the first sea day, with my zip up hoodie. It definately felt weird to be so bundle up. 

But hey it was fun to sit at pool bar and have a cocktail, and we did do the north star. 

If you got khakis, a lighter pants, i would bring them. I know men who wear shorts in winter, and only switch to pants on single digit days. It's whatever your comfortable with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you planning to board in shorts? Are you taking long pants for dinners?

When we sail from Baltimore on Saturday we will be in long pants, sweaters, winter jackets. We would not want to limit ourselves to indoors only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should clarify, to me warm enough for shorts means in your own house warm, something around 70+ degrees. I live year round in the Mid Atlantic so I know I'll be wearing cold weather stuff the first and last day.  I am taking khakis and long sleeve shirts for dressier meals.  For instance, if I get up the first morning on the ship and walk up two decks to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast, will shorts be warm enough?  I know from our last two cruises on the Oasis that we will spend most of our time at the Solarium, which I hope will be warm enough for sitting around in wet swim suits?     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside the ship from day one to the day we get off the ship I have never found a need to bundle up, although I probably wouldn't be in shorts the first day due to travel from Upstate NY in February or January. 

 

I walk out to my mailbox so far this Winter in a T-shirt.  But everyone is different.. LOL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BobInPa said:

I should clarify, to me warm enough for shorts means in your own house warm, something around 70+ degrees. I live year round in the Mid Atlantic so I know I'll be wearing cold weather stuff the first and last day.  I am taking khakis and long sleeve shirts for dressier meals.  For instance, if I get up the first morning on the ship and walk up two decks to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast, will shorts be warm enough?  I know from our last two cruises on the Oasis that we will spend most of our time at the Solarium, which I hope will be warm enough for sitting around in wet swim suits?     

 

Yes, you can walk around in shorts, it is only cold if you are out on the pool deck or if you sit close to a door to the outside.  People will be in the indoor pool, but it can be pretty cool in there because of the doors opening to the outside.  That area acts as a buffer for the Solarium so it is only cooler near the doors to enter the Solarium.  Come up the forward stairs or elevator to get to the Solarium and you won't have to go outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BobInPa said:

 ... For instance, if I get up the first morning on the ship and walk up two decks to the Solarium Bistro for breakfast, will shorts be warm enough?   ...    

 

Again, this varies person to person, how can we know if you will be warm enough?  Being some warmer clothes, walk up to the Solarium Bistro in shorts, if you're too cold, put on the warmer clothes.  It does not seem to be an insurmountable problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can wear shorts year round as long as i have long sleeves up top. i'm in Texas though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grown-ups should have a pair of longs pants, especially in winter in the News York area I believe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobInPa said:

...My question is, do I have to wear anything warmer than shorts and a short sleeved shirt when I’m on board during the few possibly cold sea days?...

Thanks in advance,

Bob      

No. You don't have to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, where you'll be going on your cruise isn't very warm in January so please do keep that in mind while packing.  :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside the ship is comfortable....70-74, I'd say.....bring a pair or two of lightweight slacks, just in case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, having read this thread up and down, back to front - are you pulling my leg!!!

I know most Aussies would be as confused as I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BobInPa said:

I will be on the Anthem’s January 18 eight day cruise out of Bayonne.  I know it will be cold during the first and last sea day for sure.  Our cruise has just become one of those 8 day cruises that gets to Canaveral at noon after one and a half sea days and stays over night for another full day.  We don’t know why it was changed but it was.

 

 

Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but I have to ask you a question.  How were you notified about this change in itinerary?  I just read this and I am also on an 8 day on the Anthem Feb 23rd.  I haven't received any email communications and my cruise planner still has our original itinerary with 2 sea days and then one day at Port Canaveral.  Also the same with the online travel website that I sometimes book cruises with. However, when I do a mock booking on Royal Caribbean's website, it looks like now it's one sea day and we arrive at Port Canaveral at noon on day 3 and depart at 8pm on day 4.    It also looks like the days at CoCo Cay and Nassau have switched. 

 

So curious how and when you discovered the change.  I guess I'll have to look to confirm if that also changed for me so I can plan accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

Yes, you can walk around in shorts, it is only cold if you are out on the pool deck or if you sit close to a door to the outside.  People will be in the indoor pool, but it can be pretty cool in there because of the doors opening to the outside.  That area acts as a buffer for the Solarium so it is only cooler near the doors to enter the Solarium.  Come up the forward stairs or elevator to get to the Solarium and you won't have to go outside.

 

22 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Inside the ship is comfortable....70-74, I'd say.....bring a pair or two of lightweight slacks, just in case!

 

These answer the question that I was trying to ask.  Thank you.

 

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Are you planning to board in shorts? Are you taking long pants for dinners?

When we sail from Baltimore on Saturday we will be in long pants, sweaters, winter jackets. We would not want to limit ourselves to indoors only.

47 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Bob, where you'll be going on your cruise isn't very warm in January so please do keep that in mind while packing.  :classic_wink:

 

Yes, I know that Port Canaveral and the Bahamas aren't as warm as our usual January destination The Southern Caribbean.  But it is way warmer than suburban Philly.  If it's chilly, we'll stay on the boat or make the ultimate sacrifice and wear long pants.

I had originally booked on the Grandeur out of Baltimore for this coming week.  Then I read about all the warm interior space on the Anthem but the capper was the heated Solarium with the cascading pools and its Bistro.  During the last couple of cruises we have tended to eat most of our meals in the Bistro.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, xadidas20x said:

 

Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but I have to ask you a question.  How were you notified about this change in itinerary?  I just read this and I am also on an 8 day on the Anthem Feb 23rd.  I haven't received any email communications and my cruise planner still has our original itinerary with 2 sea days and then one day at Port Canaveral.  Also the same with the online travel website that I sometimes book cruises with. However, when I do a mock booking on Royal Caribbean's website, it looks like now it's one sea day and we arrive at Port Canaveral at noon on day 3 and depart at 8pm on day 4.    It also looks like the days at CoCo Cay and Nassau have switched. 

 

So curious how and when you discovered the change.  I guess I'll have to look to confirm if that also changed for me so I can plan accordingly.

 

No problem it is very puzzling.

The most important thing to do is sign up for your Roll Call, that is how I originally found out about both of our changes.

Those who booked directly with RCI got email notification before RCI changed the Cruise Planner Calendar.  I booked thru a TA who sent me a reworded email notification a few days later.  So far our cruise has been modified twice. First it was the arrival at PC at noon with an overnight.  Second it was leaving Nassau 2 hours earlier as we head back to Bayonne.  I suppose that next they will tell us that we will be arriving in Bayonne a day earlier, so that we can enjoy the sights and sounds of beautiful Bayonne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobInPa said:

 

No problem it is very puzzling.

The most important thing to do is sign up for your Roll Call, that is how I originally found out about both of our changes.

Those who booked directly with RCI got email notification before RCI changed the Cruise Planner Calendar.  I booked thru a TA who sent me a reworded email notification a few days later.  So far our cruise has been modified twice. First it was the arrival at PC at noon with an overnight.  Second it was leaving Nassau 2 hours earlier as we head back to Bayonne.  I suppose that next they will tell us that we will be arriving in Bayonne a day earlier, so that we can enjoy the sights and sounds of beautiful Bayonne.

 

Thank you.  I did sign up directly through RCI for this cruise and hadn't received anything yet.  I checked the Roll Call also right after I saw your post and there's nothing yet there either.  I did Facebook chat with RCI customer service and they say they see no change, but as I said, if you do a mock booking for my cruise it has the change.  Interesting.  Guess I will sit tight and see if anything gets made official.

 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...