Mass2Cruise

Saphire Beach by Taxi or Royal's Saphire STF5 excursion?

On Symphony in February and stopping in St Thomas.  Believe we've settled on Saphire Beach for the day.  Docks at Crown and we are there 7am to 4pm.  It's two adults and one child.  Would like a lounger when we get there.  Looks like it's about 13 per person (with tip) for taxi there (26 pp r/t) and 9 pp for loungers.  Royal has an excursion to Saphire (STF5) that's 36 per adult and 27 per child.  Same beach.  Both have loungers.  Differences...Royal's excursion is 3.5 totals and lists only 2.5 hours at the beach (looks like they bank 1 hour r/t for their "scenic drive").  Also doesn't list a drink in the description, but the video on the site does.  With the taxi, I could be there 4, 5, 6 hours (pretty much till the little one is done with the sun).  Total for Royal's is 99 while taxi is about 107.  Opinions?

IMO I'd skip the excursion and grab a cab ,which is super easy to do, only because it's nice to have the freedom to stay as long as you'd like. If you're beach people it's such a beautiful beach to stay awhile at.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, Mass2Cruise said:

On Symphony in February and stopping in St Thomas.  Believe we've settled on Saphire Beach for the day.  Docks at Crown and we are there 7am to 4pm.  It's two adults and one child.  Would like a lounger when we get there.  Looks like it's about 13 per person (with tip) for taxi there (26 pp r/t) and 9 pp for loungers.  Royal has an excursion to Saphire (STF5) that's 36 per adult and 27 per child.  Same beach.  Both have loungers.  Differences...Royal's excursion is 3.5 totals and lists only 2.5 hours at the beach (looks like they bank 1 hour r/t for their "scenic drive").  Also doesn't list a drink in the description, but the video on the site does.  With the taxi, I could be there 4, 5, 6 hours (pretty much till the little one is done with the sun).  Total for Royal's is 99 while taxi is about 107.  Opinions?

Do it on your own, this way you can leave when you want. That is what we always do. 2.5 hours at the beach is not enough for me....Although I live in the Northeast, lol

12 hours ago, cathi007 said:

Do it on your own, this way you can leave when you want. That is what we always do. 2.5 hours at the beach is not enough for me....Although I live in the Northeast, lol

As do I.  And not very far from you more than likely.

Last year when we taxied on our own to Sapphire Beach, a lot of the loungers were already "reserved" for the cruise tour group.  I think we got some of the last chairs that were available.  I'd still go on my own.  It's a nice beach and no reason to limit your time there just for the ease of booking through the ship.

There are 2 bars there, one of which makes an outstanding Painkiller!

I was just wondering the same thing! Does anyone know how much it is to rent snorkel gear there? For Celebrity it is $34/pp but includes lounger and snorkel gear.. I also like the idea of taxing so theres no rush though! And is there any entrance fees to saphire beach?

Edited by JB333

35 minutes ago, JB333 said:

I was just wondering the same thing! Does anyone know how much it is to rent snorkel gear there? For Celebrity it is $34/pp but includes lounger and snorkel gear.. I also like the idea of taxing so theres no rush though! And is there any entrance fees to saphire beach?

NO entrance fee to use the beach. Some people just drop their towels and use them instead of paying for chairs.