Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I know this is a trivial question but we haven't sailed on Princess in eight years and I am seeking an update.  Is Bingo as big an activity on Princess as it used to be?   We are leaving for Mexico soon and I need to know should I pack my dauber or not.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Kathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on our recent cruise on the Island, Bingo was offered frequently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KMooney929 said:

I know this is a trivial question but we haven't sailed on Princess in eight years and I am seeking an update.  Is Bingo as big an activity on Princess as it used to be?   We are leaving for Mexico soon and I need to know should I pack my dauber or not.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Kathy

 

IMHO, Bingo is the biggest rip off on Princess.  DH and I were bored one day so we decided to play Bingo.  We paid $45 for a round and won nothing.  They keep the jackpot going day after day.  It's designed that no one wins so they can keep people coming back in hopes that they win.  A woman sitting next to us had at least 50 tickets laid out in hopes her number would be called.  She kept saying "I just want a bottle stopper!"  I said, "go down to one of the shops and buy one for $4.99, instead of wasting hundreds of dollars for a bottle stopper."  We gave her our tickets when we left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, elliair said:

 

IMHO, Bingo is the biggest rip off on Princess.  DH and I were bored one day so we decided to play Bingo.  We paid $45 for a round and won nothing.  They keep the jackpot going day after day.  It's designed that no one wins so they can keep people coming back in hopes that they win.  A woman sitting next to us had at least 50 tickets laid out in hopes her number would be called.  She kept saying "I just want a bottle stopper!"  I said, "go down to one of the shops and buy one for $4.99, instead of wasting hundreds of dollars for a bottle stopper."  We gave her our tickets when we left.

 

And to answer the question that  the OP asked, yes, Bingo is offered twice a day. The rolling jackpot is given away on the last day if it doesn't go sooner. I have won at Bingo on Princess (not a bottle stopper but a few hundred dollars).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ripoff  and rigged since they went to that electronic cr%p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, voljeep said:

ripoff  and rigged since they went to that electronic cr%p

tried to edit - too late, I guess

 

rigged ? on a cruise ship?... nah

 

wife quit playing ... and she went almost every time they had it at $ 20-30 a pop ... never even got to stand up, much less win ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring your dauber but be aware that they sell the automated tablets so someone can just sit there and almost doze off and then all of a sudden they win without hardly paying attention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KMooney929 said:

I know this is a trivial question but we haven't sailed on Princess in eight years and I am seeking an update.  Is Bingo as big an activity on Princess as it used to be?   We are leaving for Mexico soon and I need to know should I pack my dauber or not.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Kathy

Yes on sea days. Yes bring your dauber if you want to play. You can also play electronically, some do. Don't know exactly how that works, but you really don't need to pay much attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is ok on the smaller ships like the Pacific, where I won three times on a 12 day cruise. Few people played because the ship is so small. Only bought one card for $10 each time. Sometime only 25 playing out of 680 passengers. I would not play until the last game on the larger ships as it is almost pure profit for Princess with very little given out.They do not seem to increase the pay out even when more people are playing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played bingo on one day of our Mexican Riviera cruise in December.  The more money you spend on bingo cards/electronic pads the better your odds.  We didn't win anything, but had fun.  Decided we wouldn't go back.  Too overpriced for us.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it rigged or fixed, no. The "jackpot" is paid when bingo achieved before a certain number of balls called. Without a winner, that number of balls is increased daily. If no winner, there is no ball count used during last game. Now why is there no need to rig the game? You go to Vegas, the odds you winning are about 95%-99.5% depending on the game. On the ship, either the odds are changed (slot machines need two cheery for payback instead of  one) or the payout is reduced (BINGO jackpots only about 60% of that in established land games. Bottom line they make loads of money telling you ahead of time your going to loose, but the people keep sitting down to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our tablemates won several games but not the big jackpot. She also won a few jackpots on slots. We never heard about how much money she was spending, but I'm thinking Princess still came out ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elliair said:

 

IMHO, Bingo is the biggest rip off on Princess.  DH and I were bored one day so we decided to play Bingo.  We paid $45 for a round and won nothing.  They keep the jackpot going day after day.  It's designed that no one wins so they can keep people coming back in hopes that they win.  A woman sitting next to us had at least 50 tickets laid out in hopes her number would be called.  She kept saying "I just want a bottle stopper!"  I said, "go down to one of the shops and buy one for $4.99, instead of wasting hundreds of dollars for a bottle stopper."  We gave her our tickets when we left.

It's a conspiracy !   .... 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So would you recommend only playing the last day since no one is going to win on earlier days? My son has really good bingo luck so it is a must do for us. He's won $1100 over 2 cruises on Celebrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

So would you recommend only playing the last day since no one is going to win on earlier days? My son has really good bingo luck so it is a must do for us. He's won $1100 over 2 cruises on Celebrity.

There are prizes every day for different games. The bigger jackpot normally doesn't go until the last day. The odds of getting a full card before that are very slim since you have to fill your card within a certain smaller number of calls.

You have better odds of winning in the casino with table games, especially craps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't play Bingo but my wife does.  She states that the players who have played everyday will ask who ever wins the jackpot on the last day if that is the first day they have played.  I imagine that if the answer is yes, the winner will be held in scorn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, c-boy said:

It's a conspiracy !   .... 🤣

 

Princess is always conspiring with ways to lift money out of your pocket and into theirs.  However, only if you allow them to do it.  It's a learning curve with some of us, but I have caught on to their conspiring ways. :classic_ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people must like the idea of shelling out a fair bit of money and going through the process every day. Those who are only in it to win the jackpot should turn up only on the last day if the jackpot has not been won. The amount is published in the Patter.

 

Regards John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Is Bingo as big an activity on Princess as it used to be?"

 

Is it as big?! heck it's about the only activity they haven't eliminated and only increased it. That, and trivia. We're very loyal Princess cruisers but have seen a decrease in the amount of activities other than passive ones like trivia, bingo, etc  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elliair said:

 

Princess is always conspiring with ways to lift money out of your pocket and into theirs.  However, only if you allow them to do it.  It's a learning curve with some of us, but I have caught on to their conspiring ways. :classic_ninja:

According to Ask Google, conspiring is a verb meaning make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.  While I don't think Princess is doing anything unlawful, I do believe the company makes plans on how to increase profits.  That makes them just like every other business.  They never claimed to be a charity.  If they don't make a profit they will cease to stay in business and I would have to sail on a cruise line that I don't like as well as Princess.  But then my helping them make money will not include me paying to play Bingo.  Now if I could just convince my wife to quit Bingo and sell her collection of daubers.:classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nukesubsailor said:

According to Ask Google, conspiring is a verb meaning make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.  While I don't think Princess is doing anything unlawful, I do believe the company makes plans on how to increase profits.  That makes them just like every other business.  They never claimed to be a charity.  If they don't make a profit they will cease to stay in business and I would have to sail on a cruise line that I don't like as well as Princess.  But then my helping them make money will not include me paying to play Bingo.  Now if I could just convince my wife to quit Bingo and sell her collection of daubers.:classic_rolleyes:

 

C-boy above was the one who mentioned "conspiracy," I just gave my two cents.  I have a couple of daubers to add to your wife's collection, I won't be using them again.  Let me know where to send them.  I'm not much of a gambler, it's entertaining to watch other lose their money.  Cha ching!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it on my last Princess cruise last year being offered quite frequently! I didn't end up playing. I never win, but it's fun to give it a shot from time to time - especially on the big jackpot at the end of the cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JustinPlusLauren said:

I saw it on my last Princess cruise last year being offered quite frequently! I didn't end up playing. I never win, but it's fun to give it a shot from time to time - especially on the big jackpot at the end of the cruise!

there's the spirit.  The Countess (d w) plays frequently, occasionally I will accompany her.  Some times I partake in the jovial atmosphere and play.  If I win, it's drinks for everyone on me. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, elliair said:

 

C-boy above was the one who mentioned "conspiracy," I just gave my two cents.  I have a couple of daubers to add to your wife's collection, I won't be using them again.  Let me know where to send them.  I'm not much of a gambler, it's entertaining to watch other lose their money.  Cha ching!

The only gambling I do with Princess is on whether I will die or go broke booking cruises first.  Every time I hint to the wife that she might want to quit Bingo, she points out that she once won a $4,300 jackpot.  I estimate that after not winning on one more cruise she will break even between what it cost to play and her winnings.  Oh well, if she plays Bingo in the afternoon on a sea day, then I can sneak in a nap in our cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...