Keeping Items Secure At The Beach

Raxter54

My wife and I are looking for ways to keep our items secure at the beach while swimming. We've heard about the KYSS bags, but we're wanting other people's ideas on the subject. We were looking at this "safe" on Amazon, anyone have an opiniob/advice?

https://www.amazon.com/FlexSafe-Portable-Packable-Resistant-Version/dp/B07GVRTZH9/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G7RTZJFMWGJS728SEG1T

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1547139767&sr=1-1&keywords=vacation+vault

i got my vacation vault from home depo     it holds my cell   kids ipod among other things.   It locks onto the palapa or chair   and we cover it with a towel

I dont like the one above because it doesn look like it holds much

3 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

My wife and I are looking for ways to keep our items secure at the beach while swimming. We've heard about the KYSS bags, but we're wanting other people's ideas on the subject. We were looking at this "safe" on Amazon, anyone have an opiniob/advice?

https://www.amazon.com/FlexSafe-Portable-Packable-Resistant-Version/dp/B07GVRTZH9/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G7RTZJFMWGJS728SEG1T

I just don't bring anything that I need to worry about.  SeaPass, CC and Cash in my pocket that zips up.  I'm good to go.

4 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

$80! 🥺

We usually use a small TSA lock and lock the zipper of our backpack and bring a bike lock (the rubber rope like kind) to lock the bag to the chair. It has always worked great and we can utilize stuff we already own as opposed to buying something new!

We had a KYSS bag for a few years and I honestly never felt like it was very secure. After a few trips, the top seam started to pull apart, rendering the bag completely unsecured.  Since that time I have been using a CoolBag (Gen 2) and am really happy with it ! It is better thought out that the KYSS bag and feels more secure. I have a lime green color but they come in several choices. The Gen 2 has improvements over the gen 1 and I would recommend the 2. 

https://www.amazon.com/CoolBag-Locking-Anti-Theft-Insulated-Compartment/dp/B074G4MXGB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547157380&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cool+bag+gen+2&psc=1

Hi

People keep asking this question, and the answer is simple. Don't bring so much stuff. 

I guess the big problem for people is their (valuable) phone. Used to be you carried a cheap waterproof camera, some cash (bills), a credit card, driver's license, and your S & S card. There is nothing else that you are carrying of value to anybody and that you can't replace. A small waterproof pouch was all you needed. Very often I would just (discretely) dig a hole in the sand and bury my valuables. Even in the water I can watch what is happening around my towel. It's very unlikely someone will find and dig out my "treasure" before I get back. It would be pretty dumb too, considering I could just be burying some dirty diapers. Now, a locked purse would seem a lot more attractive to me. I figure if someone can get into your car in 10 seconds, a determined someone will find a way to get into anything.

• Like 2

So first I think it depends on what items you want to secure to determine your best option.  Whenever we go on any excursions, we usually like to take some type of beach bag for everything, therefore its easier for us to have a locking bag.  We own 2 KYSS bags of different sizes and not only use them on all of our cruises but also for all of our trips to the beach all summer long.  We have never had any problems with either of our bags and I truly love them both.  Also they are in the price range of what I want to spend on a lockable bag.  The Cool Gen bags seem very similar but way over priced for the same concept.  The smaller lockable safe packs seem to be also a great option if you only have a few smaller items to secure.  We just feel better about locking all of our belonging together in one bag.  The chain is more than adequate to secure to chairs, umbrellas, or even smaller trees in some instances.  We feel that the locking feature is more than enough to just deter anyone from even attempting to mess with it, lol.  Good Luck on your search!

I discreetly bury a zip lock bag filled with valuables in the sand in front of my chair.  Cover it with something; towels, garbage, whatever.  Has worked all over.  That being said...……..if you are in a nice place you probably do not need to worry about it.  Nobody will bother your stuff.  I have left everything in a bag next to our chairs for hours with no problems.  In some areas probably the only way to keep your valuables safe is to either not go there or keep them in your possession all times.  I have no faith in taking anything with you to swim in the ocean.  At many  ports that I have been to I have found driver's license's,  sail and sign cards, credit cards washed up on shore.  Obviously, something went wrong with their planning.  

Anyway, I am old school and will continue to discreetly bury my stuff in the sand in a zip lock.  And act like I do not have anything worth stealing.   Or if I really need to worry about it that much, will not go there.

I don't bring anything worth stealing. I have a wristband with a zipper for my cruise card, credit card, drivers license and a $20 bill. It doesn't really matter if that stuff gets wet. I also have a waterproof camera that I usually have in the water with me. Our beach bag is generally just towels, sunscreen, water, a book, and our clothing/cover-ups. 

Like this, but different material

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dilwe-5Colors-Outdoor-Sport-Running-Jogging-Exercise-Gym-Wrist-Band-Pouch-Wristband-Wallet-Sport-Wrist-Wallet-Running-Wrist-Wallet/212488995?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18381&adid=22222222228250499665&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=294151755978&wl4=pla-581241920797&wl5=9017288&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125211416&wl11=online&wl12=212488995&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA99vhBRBnEiwAwpk-uHgndbGYUJS8_3Blss9gIbJgbdiWIrRAjtO2BMlfNto5SFWjTmNRTRoCIeYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Jlk88
Link

I use a small (cigarette pack-sized) hard plastic waterproof container that I wear around my neck.  I place our id, ship cards, a credit card, chapstick, and some cash in it.  Have used them on each and every cruise/waterpark/land vacay we go on.  Have never had leakage.  If worried, put your stuff in a small plastic baggie - double protection inside the box! The only problem we have with them is they break after a while - but they only cost around $6 to replace.  I buy them in the Carnival gift shops on the ships.  If I bring my cell phone I also wear it around my neck in a waterproof plastic thingy they sell all over now.  (but I almost always leave my cell in the ship's safe when going to a beach at port)

Edited by pe4all

14 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

People keep asking this question, and the answer is simple. Don't bring so much stuff. 

I guess the big problem for people is their (valuable) phone. Used to be you carried a cheap waterproof camera, some cash (bills), a credit card, driver's license, and your S & S card. There is nothing else that you are carrying of value to anybody and that you can't replace. A small waterproof pouch was all you needed. Very often I would just (discretely) dig a hole in the sand and bury my valuables. Even in the water I can watch what is happening around my towel. It's very unlikely someone will find and dig out my "treasure" before I get back. It would be pretty dumb too, considering I could just be burying some dirty diapers. Now, a locked purse would seem a lot more attractive to me. I figure if someone can get into your car in 10 seconds, a determined someone will find a way to get into anything.

You got it right its the phones. My beach bag is just sun screen, bottles of water,  some towels and  a little bit of cash under 50 so not the end of the  world if someone walks off with it. but our phones are to valuable.

Especially this year since we got 4 new phones for Christmas. I know we will only take 2 ashore just in case but for the first time I am looking at a secure way to keep them safe while we enjoy the water.  

I use a waterproof arm band for lots of excursions so I can travel light. It has been nice using the Cool bag for a beach day because I can enjoy myself in the water without extra stuff around my neck or my arm. I feel confident to go far from my bag for long periods of time without thinking about it. The bright color makes my spot easy to see when I have floated a long way down a very crowded beach or returned from a walk.

No bag is going to stop a determined thief with the tools, time and privacy to break in, but what we are going for is deterring the casual opportunist thief. 

There are additional benefits such as saving your pair of loungers by locking your bag around both. It has prevented us from coming back to find 1 lounger with all our stuff left on it. 

20 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I just don't bring anything that I need to worry about.  SeaPass, CC and Cash in my pocket that zips up.  I'm good to go.

I do the same, but you end up with wet cash though. And it's not that easy to find swimsuits with more secure zippered pockets. Most of them tend to be snaps for men's bathing suits.

1 hour ago, chrislo said:

I love my KYSS bag.  I use it as my beach bag and it holds everything I need.

We also have a KYSS bag in medium size i believe, my wife also uses it for her normal carry on bag when flying.  Have had it for almost 5 years now (3 cruises a year at least) and ours is holding up just fine. Again mainly her phone, by it looks like a normal bag and not obtrusive.  it is really the "Drive By" thief that your looking to deter, and for us this works and i very happy with mine

Carnival's excursion in Roatan to Tabayana Beach has a nice perk:  when you are guided to your loungers, a security person will introduce himself and tell you he will guard your possessions if you walk the beach or go into the water to swim or snorkel.

I've been there 10 or 15 times and never had an issue, and I've left my lounger and possessions for an hour or two.  Of course, a tip is appreciated.  One guard, Albert, let me know he likes cashews, so I usually bring a can if I've booked this excursion.

Wished more beaches had a similar set-up.

We used these at Half Moon Cay while floating on our mats.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDXRVES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

They come w/ 2 in a pack and work great and are inexpensive.   I had my phone, passport, cash, S&S card, in this and not a drop of water got in there.   I tested these at home, fully submersed for 5 hours and not a drop of water.