katz

Having second thoughts about the Great Barrier Reef

24 minutes ago, katz said:

We chose to go see the dragons.  

As did we.

The 2 times we have been there (not on Oceania though), after the dragon walk the tour had us catching a boat round to pink beach for snorkelling. There was even a chap there selling ice cold Bintang.

They put your bag with your snorkel gear onto the boat for you so you didn't have to carry that with you on the dragon walk.

It was very little extra money for an extra 3 hours added on.

But I don't know if Oceania does such a combo tour. 

Edited by Tranquility Base

5 hours ago, katz said:

Oh great, now I have to worry about jellyfish too ;).

The jellyfish are found close to the shore (they breed in the creeks), not on the outer reef. If there is a chance of jellyfish, the tour operator will supply what is called 'stinger suits'. Don't be put off by the negative comments.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The jellyfish are found close to the shore (they breed in the creeks), not on the outer reef. If there is a chance of jellyfish, the tour operator will supply what is called 'stinger suits'. Don't be put off by the negative comments.

agreed.

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

As did we.

The 2 times we have been there (not on Oceania though), after the dragon walk the tour had us catching a boat round to pink beach for snorkelling. There was even a chap there selling ice cold Bintang.

They put your bag with your snorkel gear onto the boat for you so you didn't have to carry that with you on the dragon walk.

It was very little extra money for an extra 3 hours added on.

But I don't know if Oceania does such a combo tour. 

We were with Seabourn and used Seabourns zodiacs to go directly from the ship to Pink Beach

I actually didn't go for a snorkel there as I got left behind as I was talking to one of the Venture Team. The wife went for the snorkel though and said it was excellent. Seabourn had inflated rubber tubes for the people to hang onto

There was definitely lots of jelly fish at the pontoon over the  reef when we were there. We were quite happy just to go on the glass bottom boat as they didn't want people sitting on the seats with wet clothes. Thats why we went on the glass bottom boat first then saw what was happening so didn't bother putting on the stinger suites

Another from the glass bottom boat which as you can see why we didn't bother getting wet

GREAT BARRIER REEF.jpg

Edited by Thecat123

DEAD?? it's not dead.  It was the single most spectacular thing I've ever seen.  We went with Wavelength out of Port Douglas. Absolutely spectacular. 

Agreed. I have snorkelled in many places around the world and it is still very much a vibrant living reef with multiple colours which can really only be seen by the eye as cameras do not do it justice (even with a flash). The glass bottomed boat makes everything look shades of blue as do cameras.

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

DEAD?? it's not dead.  It was the single most spectacular thing I've ever seen.  We went with Wavelength out of Port Douglas. Absolutely spectacular. 

It is dead, dull and boring. Nothing spectacular there to see.

I have snorkelled at Barbados, Curacao, Isla De Margarita, Apia, Savusavu, Dravuni Island, Isle of Pines, Lifou, Noumea (and surroundings), Port Vila (and surroundings after the damage), Norfolk Island. All of those places in my opinion are far superior in terms of being spectacular that the disappointment, dismal sight I found at the Great Barrier Reef.

4 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

I have snorkelled at Barbados, Curacao, Isla De Margarita, Apia, Savusavu, Dravuni Island, Isle of Pines, Lifou, Noumea (and surroundings), Port Vila (and surroundings after the damage), Norfolk Island. All of those places in my opinion are far superior in terms of being spectacular that the disappointment, dismal sight I found at the Great Barrier Reef.

Then we obviously weren't snorkeling in the same spot.  Mine was the best we've ever experienced.  Absolutely stunning.  There was not a spot of bleaching or dead coral.  My comparisons would be all over Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Edited by Cruise Junky

46 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

The GBR is the largest reef system in the world. Just because you have seen a tiny part of it that is "dead, dull and boring" does not mean that the rest of the reef is. I wasn't impressed with the coral around Green Island, but this isn't the outer reef. Other areas I have been to were spectacular.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The GBR is the largest reef system in the world. Just because you have seen a tiny part of it that is "dead, dull and boring" does not mean that the rest of the reef is. I wasn't impressed with the coral around Green Island, but this isn't the outer reef. Other areas I have been to were spectacular.

Agreed, and compared to anywhere else I have been (including Port Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines), the parts of the GBR that I saw, beat it hands down in terms of fish and coral.

Maybe it’s where I’ve snorkelled in the GBR but I found it rather disappointing. Have seen much better in other countries. And nothing beats the Maldives.  

19 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Maybe it’s where I’ve snorkelled in the GBR but I found it rather disappointing. Have seen much better in other countries. And nothing beats the Maldives.  

I will see for myself next month.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I will see for myself next month.

You are off to the Maldives? Enjoy! 

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

As much as I love Australia I wish I could say that it was great. Its just a fact every time and place I have been there it has been dismal. On the other side the first time I took to the waters in Lifou and New Caledonia and even the Caribbean it was like striking gold the moment you entered the water.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Nope - if you check news articles over the past 2 years it was heart attacks period - nothing to do with stingers. Nor sharks.

Agree totally, just medical.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, Docker123 said:

As a public service, would you care to tell us which areas you went to and which to our operators?

That would help members on this board do some informed planning.

Seems Brisbane41 can’t remember either the areas or the operators 🤔, shame as a GBR local, was looking forward to his reply.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:48 AM, katz said:

We have book an ship's excursion to the reef on our next cruise.  I would like to know what to expect on a typical trip to the reef.  I can swim and am 71 years old without any mobility issues.  Is this an excursion I should be doing?  I know this is silly, but I am afraid of sharks and have this in the back of my mind.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Katz, the excursion can usually involve a trip of over maybe 45 minutes out to a permanent pontoon on the reef. There you will be given options of; a glass bottom boat tour, snorkelling, just relaxing - or your tour may be more precise as to what you will be doing.

Regardless, if you are going into the water in the summer at the Reef, you will be supplied with a ‘Stinger Suit’ (or should be!!) - a neck to ankle, long sleeved suit which will protect you from marine stingers etc though not sharks 😉. (You snorkel in a group usually and sharks are extremely rare.)

Though the suits are not lovely, very necessary and regardless of your age, please make use of one of these! They also supply flippers and snorkel (though we always take our own snorkel).

Other than that, the Reef is a wonderful place - it has its problems, as does the whole planet, but we have great people doing their best to care for this protected area. Go on the tour, enjoy your day, experience our beautiful Reef - and have a great cruise.

Rose 🌹

Edited by Porky55

On 1/11/2019 at 11:46 AM, Docker123 said:

As a public service, would you care to tell us which areas you went to and which to our operators?

That would help members on this board do some informed planning.

We booked our excursion from QM2 off Cairns so I have no idea of the operators. About 90% of the boat including crew of QM2 were very seasick on the way out. I’m talking big garbage bags. A group of us were not affected and we had a great ride. The reef was ok, just very overrun with tourists. Not a lot of colour. The very large grouper was there. I have no idea where it was other than it was a 45 minute ride from the tender at Cairns. The way back to the ship was very peaceful and no one was unwell.