Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

Hello again Notamermaid.  How do this year’s water levels on the Rhine compare with the same period last year.  I’m hoping that if they are higher this year it augurs well for our August cruise!  

Now that is a good question! The answer is: we had flooding in the first half 2018, even as late as June. It was mild only, but any layman would not have guessed from the situation in June that we would see such a bad autumn. There were long-term predictions by weather experts in July who hinted at a specific weather pattern high over Europe bringing us a steady heat with little rain. It turned out they were right. As for this year, who knows. There are rumours circulating and the water table is lower than last year at this time. Courtesy of BAfG (the authorities) - and I hope I do not get into trouble for copying - here is the graph they issued in August 2018:

Pegel Deutschland BAfG.docx

The graph shows Maxau in orange at the top. On the left are the level figures. It spikes in June - mild flooding, slightly under the official mark I think. You can see that from 1 April the figure at around 500 is good, we had worse flooding in January 2018 (not represented in the graph). From 9 July the level at Maxau dropped fast and never recovered before the beginning of December.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
technical error

Thanks for the quick response.  What’s the expression - “you pays your money and takes your chance”.  The one good thing is that after reading all the information here we won’t be surprised if the water in August is low.  In any event we will love the trip and will see an English cousin now living in Switzerland who I haven’t seen for 15 years!

On 5/21/2019 at 12:08 PM, notamermaid said:

Hello KathyK13,

I like that itinerary, if it is the Avalon waterways one! Although I think going South from Koblenz to Basel is a bit more scenic IMO. The Moselle is lovely, I am sure you will enjoy it. Will you be coming from Paris with the company or independently? I always think that it is a pity the Lorraine area of the Moselle is not given more attention. But a bit of news to follow in the thread on the Moselle.

notamermaid

Hi Notamermaid,  

Yes, we are taking the Avalon Canals, Vineyards, and Castles cruise.  This will be our third Avalon cruise.  Pre-cruise we will be spending a few days with friends who live in Munich, then visiting Berlin with them.  We leave them in Berlin and take a train to Trier where we have rented an apartment for 2 days before the cruise.  We won't have much time to visit the region, we mostly plan to see the sights in Trier, do laundry, and relax!  The weather looks cool and rainy but we will pack accordingly and plan to have and awesome vacation..

4 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

Hi Notamermaid,  

Yes, we are taking the Avalon Canals, Vineyards, and Castles cruise.  This will be our third Avalon cruise.  Pre-cruise we will be spending a few days with friends who live in Munich, then visiting Berlin with them.  We leave them in Berlin and take a train to Trier where we have rented an apartment for 2 days before the cruise.  We won't have much time to visit the region, we mostly plan to see the sights in Trier, do laundry, and relax!  The weather looks cool and rainy but we will pack accordingly and plan to have and awesome vacation..

Apologies. Where is my memory?! Of course, we talked about your holiday plans some weeks ago when you asked for some ideas between Berlin and the cruise.

A long train ride but hopefully very enjoyable, with some great scenery along the way.

notamermaid

The level at Maxau peaked at 740cm yesterday afternoon. Down to 718, it is still on flooding status but is anticipated to fall below that. Kaub is still rising, now at 446cm. It will probably reach the navigation level mark I, that means a speed limit in that river section. Kaub has risen by 2m in 48 hours! Luckily the river was low before all the rain came.

Koblenz is at 380cm. Traffic might slow down there but it is less likely than around Kaub. Cologne authorities have already announced that they only expect very mild flooding.

All in all this is looking o.k. We have not been hit as hard as the Danube and its tributaries, where ship swaps are reported to be happening.

notamermaid

We sailed the Basel to Amsterdam route on AmaWaterways in early May. A bit of rain for several days, but the trip through the gorge was spectacular

6AADFF99-C2C4-4B18-8BCE-D4B3B16B75C5.jpeg

CA1E66E5-3EC5-4E21-887C-751285D027B6.jpeg

64819EA5-781D-4CF1-B59B-E776F4A34B50.jpeg

37F0E6C2-4498-42E7-BF9A-E70391B9F850.jpeg

Is the Rhine generally calm?  Does it get very rough during storms?  Just curious.  I lived on a beach on Long Island Sound so I am aware how water can get.

2inSETexas,

Thank you for the photos. Hmm, I think I should have boat trip this year, your pictures have certainly whet my appetite. Just never seem to find the time...

Talking of boats:

@patprov,

the river is fast-flowing and you can get stormy days, nevertheless the river is calmer than many ocean harbours I would say. Certainly those at the English channel can tell you that the open sea is just round the corner. We rarely get those unpleasant storms that cause larger waves and rock the boats. You might feel the waves of a wake of a passing speedboat or a large barge that sails past close. But that is a minor thing on a river cruise ship. The smaller excursion boats (let us say 40m x 8m) rock when turning round - which I find unpleasant - but on a large river cruise ship again this should be minor movement. Most people say the gentle movement of the ship helps them to get to sleep...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
clarification

Notamermaid,

We're scheduled to cruise the Rhine in early July and given what I read about last year's drought's impact on the river cruises turning them into bus tours, I've been faithfully following this board.  Thanks for your continuing monitoring of the river conditions and hopefully the water levels will be good for us in July.

Hello daveil,

Welcome to the river cruise board. I dare say that early July should normally not be a problem as regards water levels, but what is normal these days? I remain optimistic. July can get a bit hot and towns can be stuffy but sipping a cocktail on the sundeck watching the late sunset, well I cannot imagine that being any better on a Carribbean cruise! I am not good with too much water around me so prefer to see land at all times at least in the distance...

The river this morning. Maxau has fallen further but is still high, Kaub is on slow traffic, but it looks as if we are over the worst there. Koblenz gauge should start to fall during today as well.

Maxau may return to normal traffic but as more rain is forecast after a few dry days the level is predicted to rise a little again. Does not look as if it will get as high again as it was a couple of days ago.

The temperatures are pleasant right now but will go down during next week's rain.

notamermaid