Cruise Critic Community
sargejenn

B2B on Oasis with early return due to Norovirus question

Anyone had this circumstance?  Are they going to make us leave the ship?  Do we need a hotel room?  Is it possible they won’t let us take the 2nd leg?

Call guest services!

Even if someone has been through this before, chances are it will be different this time...

I do realize they should tell us something but the longer it takes, the more challenging it gets to make flight changes, etc.  Hoping someone else has been through something close to this circumstance.  

Guest Services is absolutely swamped with people!

What a mess.  Hope it all works out for you and everyone on Oasis right now.

31 minutes ago, sargejenn said:

Anyone had this circumstance?  Are they going to make us leave the ship?  Do we need a hotel room?  Is it possible they won’t let us take the 2nd leg?

This is what happened to us. Could very well be different for you.

Was on the Grandeur doing a B2B a couple years ago.  Ship got the noro virus and we came back a day early.  Those of us on the B2B, were taken to a hotel  and picked up the next morning, taken back to ship. Yes,we had to pack up our belongings and take them off ship when we went to hotel.

All expenses was covered by Royal.  Handed in food receipts and got refundable obc.

Like others have said.  You will probably get a letter explaining everything. 

Good luck.  At least you know when the ship leaves for your upcoming cruise, it will be completely sanitized and very clean.  That is the kind of ship you want to get on.

Edited by retiredgram

1 minute ago, retiredgram said:

Was on the Grandeur doing a B2B a couple years ago.  Ship got the noro virus and we came back a day early.  Those of us on the B2B, were taken to a hotel  and picked up the next morning, taken back to ship. Yes,we had to pack up our belongings and take them off ship when we went to hotel.

All expenses was covered by Royal.  Handed in food receipts and got refundable obc.

Thanks for sharing. Good info. 

32 minutes ago, sargejenn said:

There's no way that ship doesn't sail the next leg and unless your sick, you won't be put off. As far as change-over logistics, you'll need to get that from Guest Services.

4 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Good luck.  At least you know when the ship leaves for your upcoming cruise, it will be completely sanitized and very clean.  That is the kind of ship you want to get on.

That's encouraging. Hopefully that will work out for the OP.

If they need to completely clean the ship, then yes, they could have you leave the ship overnight so they can do a thorough job.  But, you really need to find out onboard.

26 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

What a mess.  Hope it all works out for you and everyone on Oasis right now.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Very helpful information - thanks very much!  I suspect that’s how it might go.  

If they give you the choice, get off the ship and go to a hotel. The staff need to concentrate on cleaning and sanitizing not guests. Additionally, the whole ship will have a chemical/bleachy smell which could cause problems. 

We we were on the Independence last December after the outbreak and there were very strong odors. 

I saw a letter each passenger received on the ship letting you know how they are going to handle getting back early, covering flight changes if need be and even letting you book a hotel room up to $200 for the night.................Not sure if I was you I would want to get back on the ship, I might ask for a full refund for that sailing also. I think they would understand why you don't want to be on the ship and allow you to get a full refund and fly home early.

I don't think RCCL would have a problem giving B2B cruisers a refund for the second leg for the issues you have been dealing with.

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't think RCCL would have a problem giving B2B cruisers a refund for the second leg for the issues you have been dealing with.

Why would you think RCI would refund the next leg if the sailing is going to occur? They most certainly wouldn't refund anyone booked on the next sailing who decided to cancel because of the virus on the ship. I don't see it happening but maybe you are right and I am not.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why would you think RCI would refund the next leg if the sailing is going to occur? They most certainly wouldn't refund anyone booked on the next sailing who decided to cancel because of the virus on the ship. I don't see it happening but maybe you are right and I am not.

Because the cruisers on that sailing have been through enough Sh?? and don't want to chance on dealing with it again on the next sailing. It really ruins a vacation. Afraid to go out of the cabin, do anything, touch anything etc.

I would not want to be that next sailing. Even after the cleaning, the crew members that are sick are still on the ship, they aren't going home or anything like that.

Do you really think the next sailing is not going to have issues again?

Edited by Jimbo

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do you really think the next sailing is not going to have issues again?

How would I know? Do you think they should just cancel the next sailing and let the ship cool down? Not going to happen. I was once on a sailing the week after an outbreak. I think the ship was Adventure. I was not aware of any issues. The first couple of days they had crew serving food in the Windjammer. After that it was a completely normal sailing.

I don't see RCI letting b to b cruisers cancel. I did say that you could be the one who is right and not me.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I saw a letter each passenger received on the ship letting you know how they are going to handle getting back early, covering flight changes if need be and even letting you book a hotel room up to $200 for the night.................Not sure if I was you I would want to get back on the ship, I might ask for a full refund for that sailing also. I think they would understand why you don't want to be on the ship and allow you to get a full refund and fly home early.

My Magic 8 Ball says," don't count on it". The only way that is going to happen is if RC decides to cancel the next cruise.  

Spoke with a couple doing B2B, they have to pack and leave the ship.  This affects about 100 passengers. Royal is finding hotels

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Spoke with a couple doing B2B, they have to pack and leave the ship.  This affects about 100 passengers. Royal is finding hotels

Great pictures BTW in the album. 

32 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball says," don't count on it". The only way that is going to happen is if RC decides to cancel the next cruise.  

Never said they would annouce onboard as an option, but I would be down at Guest Relations asking for it. I'm not going to get back ona ship where that many have been sick. RCCL does make exceptions, but you won't know your options inless you ask......Even if they have to ask people in Miami at Headquarters, they have time to check with higher ups. Ship not returning until Saturday.

Edited by Jimbo

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Never said they would annouce onboard as an option, but I would be down at Guest Relations asking for it. I'm not going to get back ona ship where that many have been sick. RCCL does make exceptions, but you won't know your options inless you ask......Even if they have to ask people in Miami at Headquarters, they have time to check with higher ups. Ship not returning until Saturday.

Possibly that would be an option for those that got sick on the first leg and didn't want to get back on the ship for the second leg. If not your choice not to do the second leg and forfeit the cost of the next cruise. As long as the ship was cleared for the next cruise (second leg) and we were one of the consecutive cruisers we would have no issues getting back on the ship for the second leg knowing all the extra cleaning the crews are doing and will continue to do. 

We boarded the Serenade  of the Seas January 3rd. The ship came into Port Everglades with noro. The ship was thoroughly cleaned before we got on board. This evening is the final night of the 9 night cruise and there have been no incidences of noro on our cruise. I don't believe people should be freaking out about getting on the next Cruise of the Oasis.

Those who did the back-to-back cruise before ours and this one were given complimentary travel to Sawgrass Mills Mall while they cleaned the ship.

Stay calm, wash your hands and enjoy your next Cruise!