Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

On 7/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are there any river cruises that start in Passau or Vilshofen and sail West?  If so, I would avoid those even more!

I am doing Amawaterways from Vilshofen to Budapest . 

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The Danube has reached its peak at Passau and the river level is on its way down fast meaning the bridge should not pose a problem anymore.

notamermaid

We just got the announcement today (leaving Regensburg headed to Passau) that we have no water level problems and will cruise all the way to Budapest on the same boat (Atla)! A round of fervent and excited applause from all of the passengers! No problems this week at all! Such a wonderful blessing-and a wonderful cruise! 

• Like 1

We travel from Bucharest to Budapest on Avalon in October. We were originally scheduled for this trip last October and our trip was cancelled two days before we were to depart.  I'm trying to monitor/understand this feed but am a little unclear of how the levels now will impact our trip. Does anyone have suggestions for me going forward? It will obviously be highly disappointing if we get cancelled again this year and I'm trying to anticipate as much as I can.  Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give us. 

31 minutes ago, egw1 said:

We travel from Bucharest to Budapest on Avalon in October. We were originally scheduled for this trip last October and our trip was cancelled two days before we were to depart.  I'm trying to monitor/understand this feed but am a little unclear of how the levels now will impact our trip. Does anyone have suggestions for me going forward? It will obviously be highly disappointing if we get cancelled again this year and I'm trying to anticipate as much as I can.  Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give us. 

To early to predict what October will bring (except Oktoberfest 🍻🍻), Keep checking this thread from about 4 weeks out to give you a feel of how the river conditions are. One week before you travel ask here what the levels are like.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 5:16 PM, Wingman2010 said:

Fingers crossed that the water levels hold for the following week!!  We board the Gate One Monarch Princess in Budapest on Sunday and hope for an uninterrupted sail.....

Going in early October on Princess.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts about the trip !  Have fun 

The latest update of the report on low water published by the BAfG (the authorities) is out. In it we can see the tendency for the Danube at Hofkirchen - and in consequence the situation at Pfelling further upstream. Both station figures have fallen fast and will drop lower in the next couple of days. A bit of rain will slow this down but one can see the next problems in the making.

Currently Pfelling is at 299cm with 284cm possible tomorrow.

In the report we can also see a probability graph not published elsewhere that shows us the situation at Kaub on the Rhine. There a steady drop in the level can also be seen but with rain forecast the river is very unlikely to drop below 120cm in the next week.

notamermaid

On 7/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, Senga said:

hsack:  While I admire your attitude there is no way I am willing to spend such a huge sum of money for a glorified bus trip.  We are on Scenic September 3rd and we made sure to book everything through them and take out the best insurance possible so that we can cancel if the canals are impacted.  This will be our first river cruise and, with all the worry ahead of time regarding water levels, it will probably be our last even if all goes well and we have a great trip.

We did the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Scenic last year (July/August 2018) and had to transfer ships 3 times. Worst was that we went through the Rhine Gorge on a regular ferry boat making more than a dozen stops to let regular commuter people on and off. This was supposed to be the highlight with us sitting on the upper deck and narration of the wonderful scenery and history and instead, we were on a very crowded regular commuter ferry boat.  While the service and people on the cruise ships were great, it certainly was not the enjoyable experience we were expecting, packing and unpacking 3 times. (not being told till the night before that were were changing ships again)

As others have said, Mother Nature is not controlled by the cruise companies and we are left to her ways. Also as others have said, it is a tremendous amount of money to fly from North America to Europe and the cost of the cruise for basically a bus trip. We were "compensated" for the inconvenience but really, it is more than just inconvenience. It was not the "dream" vacation we anticipated and will forever be remembered as the messed up trip, not what should have been the best trip.

Hello ShadelandCruiser,

I was referring to the weekly report which is text format and published weekly in low water situations. Is is only available in German language. You have linked to the map which is ideal for up-to-date water levels. Hovering over the dots brings up the gauging stations. On the Danube the most relevant for river cruisers now is the one at Pfelling. The river level there is currently at 310cm. A drop is anticipated for tomorrow afternoon of a figure just under 290cm. For further explanation see posts further above.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing word

We are travelling on the Viking Idun, 19 - 29 August 2019.  We will be cruising from Budapest to Bucharest.  I would appreciate an update on the river levels from anyone currently sailing on this bit of the Danube.  Thank you so much!

11 hours ago, wanderingoz said:

Or perhaps celebrate? 🥂😉

😢

Is that why you waited to answer because you have heavenly connections to the great stumps in the sky.

I'm going back to football.

🍻

• Haha 1

Notamermaid, have you looked at the smart phone app "Meine Pegel", it looks good, you can set up a favourite list of measuring station so saves time checking each station individually.

Only available in German and Dutch languages versions.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:59 AM, G.M.T. said:

Notamermaid, have you looked at the smart phone app "Meine Pegel", it looks good, you can set up a favourite list of measuring station so saves time checking each station individually.

Only available in German and Dutch languages versions.

Seen it, installed it, recommend it. Thanks for the tip🙂. I like that it is the official one by the authorities. If anyone wants to do it, search for hochwasserzentralen meine pegel . You are asked to put in the name of the river in German and then you choose the gauge. With basic knowledge of German it is straightforward. I suggest as stations Regensburg Strombrücke, Hofkirchen, Pfelling, Passau. For the Austrian Danube one would need to look towards the Austrian authorities' website.

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Hi ,

Has anyone got any info on current levels on the DANUBE. We are sailing from Passau to Budapest on Monday.

Any info much appreciated.

All OK, Danube level in Passau is 480cm (normal).

Have a great cruise, wave if you see me.🍻