Puerto Madryn penguins or dolphins/seals

Woodstock_sr

We are currently on the Celebrity Eclipse and just found out our penguin excursion tomorrow in Puerto Arenas has been cancelled. 

We we are currently booked to do the dolphin/seal trip in Puerto Madryn.  Has anyone done both that and the penguin rookery tour and if so which do you recommend? Should we stick with our current plans or swap to the penguin rookery? Seeing penguins in the wild was going to be the highlight of this cruise for me but the long bus journey there and back does not appeal. 

Feeling very frustrated just now

21 hours ago, Woodstock_sr said:

We are currently on the Celebrity Eclipse and just found out our penguin excursion tomorrow in Puerto Arenas has been cancelled. 

We we are currently booked to do the dolphin/seal trip in Puerto Madryn.  Has anyone done both that and the penguin rookery tour and if so which do you recommend? Should we stick with our current plans or swap to the penguin rookery? Seeing penguins in the wild was going to be the highlight of this cruise for me but the long bus journey there and back does not appeal. 

Feeling very frustrated just now

I did both of them in different trips. I think that the tour to Punta Tombo to see penguins was the best one.

I booked a private tour the last time with a company which was highly recommended on TripAdvisor. It is called   tourguideushuaia.net   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AryMay said:

As someone who will be doing this itinerary in a couple of weeks I'm curious which tour was cancelled and why.

Was it a tour you had booked through the ship or independently?

It was booked through Celebrity and was a ferry ride to and from the island with an hour on the island with the penguins. Apparently it was cancelled because of operational reasons. When pushed we were told the particular ferry we were booked on had a technical issue. It was only cancelled the afternoon before we docked.

We just returned from Antarctica/South America last night and did 3 independent penguin tours . We would rate the Falkland Islands as best , Punta Tombo as second best and Magdalena Island as third best . We missed Ushuaia due to high winds but got and extra 1/2 day in Antarctica .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Thanks 1