Cruise Critic Community
zitsky

Are hotel extension prices per person?

My TA is out of office, no hurry.  Would Viking answer this question or refer me back to TA?

Ex. Barcelona, Viking advertises $599 for 2 nights.  Is that per person?  I'm debating about this one to maybe pick my own hotel as I hear that the Viking hotel is not really a short walk to tourist areas, more like a taxi ride.

Be sure to read carefully what is included in the extensions.  If all that is included is the hotel room and transfers it would be much cheaper to do on your own.

Yep read carefully.  I read a few reviews of the Viking hotel which said it's fat from the tourist area.  I had a good experience in Prague only because they moved us from the regular hotel to the Intercontinental.  I just didn't remember what they charged us.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

6 minutes ago, Marykatesmom said:

Be sure to read carefully what is included in the extensions.  If all that is included is the hotel room and transfers it would be much cheaper to do on your own.

Ditto!!!! For $1200 you can spend 4 nights, pay for a taxi from the ship to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport (under $100 total), breakfast that is usually included in the extension package and, if you choose wisely on the hotel, still have money to spare. Viking hotels are sometimes not centrally located and you waste a lot of time getting to the the things you want to see.

Also, a two night stay does not give you two full days for touring: Day 1 you spend a portion of your day dealing with getting to the hotel and checking in; Night 1; Day 2 is all touring; Night 2; and, Day 3 you depart. 

Or, if this is pre-cruise, Day 1 spent arriving and depending where you are coming from, that might not be until mid-day; Night 1; Day 2 tour all day; Night 2; Day 3 --store luggage at hotel, tour part of the day, return to hotel to fetch luggage and be at ship by on board time.

Also, single passengers who occupy a twin cabin on board, and are charged a fare uplift of 100%, will find that they also pay an uplift of 100% on their extension.  Not only paying double on the hotel room (which is probably on a room rate, anyway, not per capita), they also pay double for any meals, tours and et ceteras included in the extension.  How does Viking justify this, either financially or morally, when their outlay is only for a single person and their ill-gotten profit is thereby significantly increased? 

Perhaps TellUs will tell us.  Please!

26 minutes ago, Rawmac said:

Also, single passengers who occupy a twin cabin on board, and are charged a fare uplift of 100%, will find that they also pay an uplift of 100% on their extension.  Not only paying double on the hotel room (which is probably on a room rate, anyway, not per capita), they also pay double for any meals, tours and et ceteras included in the extension.  How does Viking justify this, either financially or morally, when their outlay is only for a single person and their ill-gotten profit is thereby significantly increased? 

Perhaps TellUs will tell us.  Please!

Not disagreeing with you but don't hold your breathe waiting for a justification for their policies; it has been shown over time that it is just not the way that Viking handles these things, not even the folks at TellUs.

5 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not disagreeing with you but don't hold your breathe waiting for a justification for their policies; it has been shown over time that it is just not the way that Viking handles these things, not even the folks at TellUs.

Sorry.  I was being a wee bit cynical.  Well, maybe not just a wee bit! 

To charge for items and services in excess of what is received by passengers in order to increase profit does not endear Viking to me.  Most other cruise lines do have single supplements, but those I have come across in the past charge amounts which can be understood and withstand scrutiny.  Viking's does not.  T&Cs for singletons and especially for their extensions are not readily available, they do not feature in the brochures and costs can be found by careful reading of the invoice.

Will I have any problem if I take the Viking transfer airport to ship at the beginning, then make my own arrangements at the end?

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Will I have any problem if I take the Viking transfer airport to ship at the beginning, then make my own arrangements at the end?

No. If you are working with Viking Air, you only lose the included transfer on the leg(s) on which you deviate. If you are landing on Day 1 along with the your fellow pax, you get your transfers even if you are planning to stick around town for a few more days at the end. If you don't arrive or leave with your fellow pax, transfers are on you. Also, there is a fee for deviating, in addition to the Custom Air fee.

59 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No. If you are working with Viking Air, you only lose the included transfer on the leg(s) on which you deviate. If you are landing on Day 1 along with the your fellow pax, you get your transfers even if you are planning to stick around town for a few more days at the end. If you don't arrive or leave with your fellow pax, transfers are on you. Also, there is a fee for deviating, in addition to the Custom Air fee.

I have done the deviations on each end and never used  Custom Air.  The fee would be $100 pp and $50 pp for Custom Air.   We loved Barcelona and sent 3 days there before we boarded.

I have personally never seen a bargain with add on pre, or post cruise packages.  On our recent trip VO Rome to Miami we booked our own air.  It was more dollars than Viking offer but we sat in the front of the aircraft instead of the sardine section.  I figured I saved over $5000 over the Viking upgrade.  I did not use miles!  Bed and breakfast for two nights in Civitavecchia was $205, total for two.  Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia was 75€.  That was 1/2 the private rate for four pax as we set it up in advance.  Ship to Miami airport was offered by Viking for$49, pp.  $98 total.  Taxi was fixed rate at $27 per ride.  It was also faster, more comfortable and convenient.  None of this included a tour guide,  or large bus.  We did relax after the direct flight to Rome from LAX.  Explored Civitavecchia on our own and ate in nice places, enjoyed wine on our balcony overlooking Civitavecchia harbor and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  If we had decided on a Tuscan pre cruise stay we would have probably beat the price offered by the cruise line by 50% at least.  Just my opinion.

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Ditto!!!! For $1200 you can spend 4 nights, pay for a taxi from the ship to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport (under $100 total), breakfast that is usually included in the extension package and, if you choose wisely on the hotel, still have money to spare. Viking hotels are sometimes not centrally located and you waste a lot of time getting to the the things you want to see.

Also, a two night stay does not give you two full days for touring: Day 1 you spend a portion of your day dealing with getting to the hotel and checking in; Night 1; Day 2 is all touring; Night 2; and, Day 3 you depart. 

Or, if this is pre-cruise, Day 1 spent arriving and depending where you are coming from, that might not be until mid-day; Night 1; Day 2 tour all day; Night 2; Day 3 --store luggage at hotel, tour part of the day, return to hotel to fetch luggage and be at ship by on board time.

The extension I was looking at had nothing but transfers, the hotel room and breakfast.  I had enough points on Marriott to get a free room for two nights breakfast included and I had hired a private guide that took us the the airport at the end of the tour.   Much cheaper to do it on your own. 

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

My TA is out of office, no hurry.  Would Viking answer this question or refer me back to TA?

Ex. Barcelona, Viking advertises $599 for 2 nights.  Is that per person?  I'm debating about this one to maybe pick my own hotel as I hear that the Viking hotel is not really a short walk to tourist areas, more like a taxi ride.

We are staying at the Hotel Pultizer in Barcelona for two nights before our cruise.  I booked on-line for a discount of 15% off room rate for a "Signature" room.  Total with tax was $269.30 for two people.  Hotel is located off Placa Catalunya, along Las Ramblas, on a side street.....like a two minute walk to Las Ramblas and a short walk to the Gothic Quarter..  Very nice hotel - we stayed there in 2015 and chose this one again.  It's less than a 10 minute taxi ride to cruise port - depending on traffic.  I booked our stay this past August and price has gone up and they are not showing a Promo rate now.  Still worth a try to put in your dates and see what comes up.

A far cry from $599 booking a hotel through Viking :classic_rolleyes:

http://www.hotelpulitzer.es/en/

Exactly! Always cheaper to do it on your own, even if Viking Air is cheaper, do your own hotel and transfers (or apartments). Also nice to be not treated like cattle, if you book your own transfers in a car or a taxi.

We are using Viking pre and post our Egyptian cruise (Israel and Jordan) as the arrangements seem a little complex and we’d appreciate the extra security. 

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

We are using Viking pre and post our Egyptian cruise (Israel and Jordan) as the arrangements seem a little complex and we’d appreciate the extra security. 

Agreed. There are times when convenience and security trump cost.