Bonine or Dramamine for seasickness

Berkshires

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Equinox from Miami to the Caribbean in February to celebrate his 80th birthday.  I'd like to prevent any seasickness, but I'm not sure which pill is best: Dramamine or Bonine.  Someone has recommended Bonine, but how is the best way to take it.  Will someone please advise me  This is his first cruise, and I want it to be very special.  Thank you.

Both work but I prefer Bonine because it doesn't make me drowsy. Dramamine knocks me right out. You can also get generic versions from places like CVS. Look for Meclizine as the active ingredient and there are chewable ones which are great because you don't have to have a drink to wash them down.

I usually take one about an hour before sail-away and therafter another one each evening around the same time. 

Bonine is better.  You only take it once per day.  Best to take it at night as it can make you drowsy, though typically not nearly as much as Dramamine which also has to be taken several times per day.  If I take it at bedtime I have very minimal if any drowsiness the next day.

I bring it but I do NOT take it until bedtime on embarkation day unless I start to feel bad, because I don't want to be sluggish while embarking.  Some people say you should take it as soon as you board and before the ship sails to avoid any risk.  If you know you are prone to seasickness this is probably a good idea. 

Ginger root capsules do work for some people. It is very mild and does not have any drowsy side effects, but it can take longer to work and not everyone finds it effective.  If you try that route I would still bring Bonine in case you need something stronger.

I use Meclizine which is the generic ingredient in Dramamine and Bonine.  You can get a bottle of it at either Sams club or Costco for about $4.00.

i also start it the day before so it is in my system once I am on the ship.  I turn take it every day .

Edited by cheeseclan

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, txflood33 said:

Without even looking at your link we assume you are aware that Bonine and Dramamine-Less-Drowsy are exactly the same medication (Meclizine Hcl 25 mg),  Another shocker is that if you go some pharmacists at places like Target or Walmart and simply ask for generic Meclizine, they will usually sell you the same drug for a fraction of the cost.  About 3 years ago we picked up 100 Meclizine Hcl 25 mg chewable tablets at Target for about $6.  It sure beats paying around 50 cents per pill for Bonine of the same Dramamine Non Drowsy formula.

Hank

Thanks, Everyone, for your most helpful advice.  I did speak to my husband's physician, and he basically advised just as you did.  He recommended Bonine which I will buy now.  I will, however, also buy Meclizine just to keep on hand.   

On 1/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, cheeseclan said:

I use Meclizine which is the generic ingredient in Dramamine and Bonine.  You can get a bottle of it at either Sams club or Costco for about $4.00.

i also start it the day before so it is in my system once I am on the ship.  I turn take it every day .

Thanks for that great tip, probably much cheaper than thru a prescription.

Bonine or meclizine has worked for me. I take it the night before I fly and at night onboard.  This worked better for me than the patch, which had annoying side effects.  It is also difficult to get if you are over 65.

The big test for me with meclizine will be on the catamaran going to the Great Barrier Reef;  always get very sick on small ocean boats. 

Bonine knocks me out as well as my Ambien does, LOL.

A couple weeks ago I woke up with a vertigo attack.  Meclizine was prescribed recently for my husband who had a virus settle in his inner ear and caused extreme dizziness.  I took a Bonine for the vertigo and slept for a good 12 hours.  I guess it affects different people in different ways. 

Just a comment about Bonine which is actually the drug, Meclizine Hcl.  If you buy Bonine (which is simply a brand name) you will likely pay nearly 50 cents per chewable pill.  But if you simply go to a decent discount pharmacy like Target or Walmart and ask the pharmacist if they sell generic Meclizine, you will likely be able to get the same thing as Bonine at a fraction of the cost.  The last time we did this at Target we got 100 Meclizine Hcl (25 mg) Chewable (the same as Bonine) for $6 or about 6 cents per pill (a lifetime supply).

Hank