Zuiderdam's drydock

steviek49

I'm not sure if others feel the same but I'm a bit disappointed about Zuiderdam's drydock work from what I've read so far.

I was kind of "hoping" and sorta expecting HAL to deal with the few problems that people discussed on these and other boards including;

carpeting through out the ship not just "on some decks"

Plasma tvs and DVD players

all signature of Excellence upgrades

vibrations (aft) and dining room.

I'm sure my family and I will have a great time but I'm kind of surprised that from what I read so far (besides code red) that they didn't do these things during drydock. If not then.....when?

We were on the Zuiderdam the week of 12/3 - prior to dry dock - needless to say we would have never booked on the ship if we had known what condition it was in. There were pot holes under the carpet, places where the carpet was duck taped, our lounge chair on the verandah falling apart, mattress so worn out you woke up sore. The maintenance crew was preparing for dry dock during out entire cruise - not a relaxing atmosphere. When you cruise once a year - this is very unfortunate. After contacting Hollland America - they offered us a VIP upgrade on our next cruise - big deal - flowers & a bottle of wine on our next cruise. That really makes you want to return!!

We were on the Zuiderdam the week of 12/3 - prior to dry dock - needless to say we would have never booked on the ship if we had known what condition it was in. There were pot holes under the carpet, places where the carpet was duck taped, our lounge chair on the verandah falling apart, mattress so worn out you woke up sore. The maintenance crew was preparing for dry dock during out entire cruise - not a relaxing atmosphere. When you cruise once a year - this is very unfortunate. After contacting Hollland America - they offered us a VIP upgrade on our next cruise - big deal - flowers & a bottle of wine on our next cruise. That really makes you want to return!!

WOW. I was on this exact same sailing. In fact, there were quite a few CC'ers...sorry we missed you, as we had a wonderful get together. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the cruise. Yes, there were pot holes under the carpet, but it didin't personally effect us, as we knew of them before we cruised. Out of my last 10 plus(2 on HAL before this one) cruises or more in the past few years, for me it was the most relaxing. I loved it so much, I came home home and booked the Oosterdam for March. This is also the friendliest crew I have ever encountered.

I did not observe the maintenance crew preparing for drydock. We were on Deck 5. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, and hope you'll give it another try, at another time.

Marie

WOW. I was on this exact same sailing. In fact, there were quite a few CC'ers...sorry we missed you, as we had a wonderful get together. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the cruise. Yes, there were pot holes under the carpet, but it didin't personally effect us, as we knew of them before we cruised. Out of my last 10 plus(2 on HAL before this one) cruises or more in the past few years, for me it was the most relaxing. I loved it so much, I came home home and booked the Oosterdam for March. This is also the friendliest crew I have ever encountered.

I did not observe the maintenance crew preparing for drydock. We were on Deck 5. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, and hope you'll give it another try, at another time.

Marie

Couldn't have said it better Marie! Like Marie, we too were on the Zui Dec. 3. This was one of the most relaxing cruises we have taken. This was my 8th and my wifes 4th. I was on deck 6 and did not notice any manintenance crew preparing for drydock. Yes, the hallway right outside our room 6094 was pretty bad, but hopefully that is taken care of now.

We like Marie, just had to book a cruise when we got back. Only I got a fantastic deal of the Dawn Princess. Soooo here we go again.

Of all the cruise lines I've sailed, HAL is my favorite so far. I have sailed Carnival, Sitmar, Azure Seas, NCL, and HAL. Really want to try Celebrity.

Hopefully you'll try HAL again. :D

I am so anxious to hear how you like Princess. I've been reading alot of good things about Princess, but have not yet had the opportunity to sail the line. Like you, I think I would take the smaller ship versus the big one like Caribbean Princess.

Oh, btw, with Steve's blessings I DID make deposit on the 30 day Hawaii/South Pacific, HAL Ryndam, Jan 2007. I have until Nov 2006 to decide without penalty. I am in frugal mode now trying to make it happen :). I WILL miss Steve terribly, but it's not an itinerary he is interested in anyway, so it's a good one to take solo. Keep in touch.

Sorry for the hijack thread y'all.

Marie

Archived