CRUISE FROM PORT NEW ORLEAN

Mysticalbama

I will be on May 5 Carnival Dream and noticed that is the time New Orleans is having a Jazz Fest, Room rates are ridiculous, so i went outside area and booked in Metairie. Has anyone else stayed there and how safe is it? I work for Wyndham resort and can get a great discount on rooms there. They will also let me park car there for cruise for free. I am just curious has anyone stayed in that area before.  

I don't know about staying in that area, but I looked up the hotel on TripAdvisor after seeing your post. Apologies, as I know you work for the company, but the reviews of the property are abysmal and pretty disgusting. I'd pass and find other accommodations.

This is the property I looked at: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g40314-d89162-Reviews-Wyndham_Garden_New_Orleans_Airport-Metairie_Louisiana.html

Edited by bbtbear

The one i booked is the Super 8. Its a Wyndham chain. I know reviews can get bad, just like the one i manage. I just cant see paying those high dollars. Reviews from my portal on Super 8 looks decent. I just want to know about the area and leaving my car.

Just now, Mysticalbama said:

The one i booked is the Super 8. Its a Wyndham chain. I know reviews can get bad, just like the one i manage. I just cant see paying those high dollars. Reviews from my portal on Super 8 looks decent. I just want to know about the area and leaving my car.

Gotcha. Sorry I was off base, looking at the wrong hotel. Hopefully someone can give you some feedback about the area.

2 hours ago, Mysticalbama said:

I will be on May 5 Carnival Dream and noticed that is the time New Orleans is having a Jazz Fest, Room rates are ridiculous, so i went outside area and booked in Metairie. Has anyone else stayed there and how safe is it? I work for Wyndham resort and can get a great discount on rooms there. They will also let me park car there for cruise for free. I am just curious has anyone stayed in that area before.  

I just checked with someone I know from Metairie. Metairie is safer than NO but as with any large metropolitan area, there is going to be some crime. She advised to not leave any belongings in the car where they would be visible. Also, there is a lot of road repair/construction going on in that area so traffic is heavy and will be heavier while you are there because of the Jazz Festival. Hope you have a great time on your cruise.

3 minutes ago, Mysticalbama said:

thank you so much for checking that out for me. I have no idea about any of the area except for last year we stayed at Wyndham Baroone and left car parked under parking garage and I didn't worry about anything.

You're welcome. I am an Alabama native so always glad to help out a neighbor.

Edited by Hillbillygram
Neede to add something.

Everytime we cruise from NO there is something going on so that rooms are very expensive. Thus we always stay in Metairie.

We have found it to be safe. We often catch the bus to NO street cars and to go back and forth between the 2 towns.

I just moved out of Metairie where I lived for most of my life.  Metairie is, in general, safer than New Orleans.  Of course there are parts that are more prone to crime.  If you're staying at the Super 8 on Clearview Pkwy, I don't consider that a bad area.  There are a couple of bars across the street that may get rowdy at night.  I always make sure to lock my car doors and try to park under a street light no matter where I'm staying.  

2 hours ago, Mysticalbama said:

Metairie in general is fine. I've stayed at a handful of hotels there. I did a park n cruise at the country inn and suites last month. Now the Super 8 you're talking about...I stayed there once...5-10 years ago...one of those deals where I decided to drive in a night early and got in late and just looking for a place to sleep. If I recall correctly the reviews were that there was a rowdy night club on one side of the hotel. When I got there the girl in the lobby had the door locked. I had to show my reservation for her to let me in. She said non-guests just wander in at night if the door isn't locked. Metairie is fine but I'd use caution parking my car at that particular hotel for a week.

Edited by Saint Greg

I manage the one in my town as well at night.  I also lock our doors only because I a there alone for 9 hrs and just feel it safer that way for me personally. My town is very safe but you never know when someone might want to rob or attack you. To the ones that live in area or have stayed there, can I park in back near lobby doors? closer to entry way to be seen better?

• 4 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 6:31 AM, Mysticalbama said:

I hope you post how the hotel was since we'll be staying there after our cruise next year.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, Sparky2 said:

I hope you post how the hotel was since we'll be staying there after our cruise next year.

Actually, I don't think we will be staying here.  I've now booked Best Western in Kenner because of too many bad reviews for Super 8 in Metairie.

That hotel is the old "Shoney's Inn" and has been there forever! It has outdoor corridors which automatically disqualifies most hotels for me. I don't know that I would park my car there but as long as you keep all valuables out of view and lock your car it should be okay. There are a fair amount of apartments in the nearby area. 

If you are at the Best Western Plus, I think you have made a much better choice.

11 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

That hotel is the old "Shoney's Inn" and has been there forever! It has outdoor corridors which automatically disqualifies most hotels for me. I don't know that I would park my car there but as long as you keep all valuables out of view and lock your car it should be okay. There are a fair amount of apartments in the nearby area. 

If you are at the Best Western Plus, I think you have made a much better choice.

Thanks.  You've convinced me.  We'll stay at Best Western Plus.