Maplemoose

Horizon Delay - What to expect

I received notice yesterday that I should arrive an hour later for checkin as the Horizon will be late into Miami tomorrow. (12:30 arrival appt instead of 1130). Anyone been through this before who can share their experience?  Is this orderly or does chaos and long queues become the order of the day? 

This exact same thing happened to us on Horizon on Dec. 1.  When we got to the port, we found out that not everyone got the e-mail (some in our party checked their e-mail right there and didn't have it).  I kept trying to figure out how they knew days in advance that the ship would be late coming back in to Miami.  Lots of people questioning the port-side employees, who were variously saying that there was an "incident" or a "sick passenger" or "something came up suddenly."  We never found out for sure.  Boarding area was crammed, but boarding went pretty smoothly once it started.  BTW, we showed up at our regularly scheduled time (11:30), and there were already lots of people there.  They started boarding weddings at around 12:30, and then the usual diamond/platinum/suites and FTTF, then zones.  We were on board around 12:40 (platinum).  The lines for regular check-in were extremely long.

I think they are finding that debarkation is taking longer, so they can't embark early so they are warning people to come later.

The OP may find that the hour delay in check in time might delay boarding for an hour (Yep Capt Obvious).

I believe Carnival is moving away from those early 10:30  - 11:30 boardings in their busier ports, especially with their larger capacity ships.  More people to debark, more luggage to move, more garbage to get rid of.

I have received several of those emails, and only once was boarding NOT delayed.  I'm speaking as a Diamond priority and check-in.

Edited by evandbob

Useful replies. Thank you. One more question. How much seating do they have in the check in/boarding area? Waiting I can do. Standing for an hour is something else!  

5 hours ago, CruzCrazy said:

This exact same thing happened to us on Horizon on Dec. 1.  When we got to the port, we found out that not everyone got the e-mail (some in our party checked their e-mail right there and didn't have it).  I kept trying to figure out how they knew days in advance that the ship would be late coming back in to Miami.  Lots of people questioning the port-side employees, who were variously saying that there was an "incident" or a "sick passenger" or "something came up suddenly."  We never found out for sure.  Boarding area was crammed, but boarding went pretty smoothly once it started.  BTW, we showed up at our regularly scheduled time (11:30), and there were already lots of people there.  They started boarding weddings at around 12:30, and then the usual diamond/platinum/suites and FTTF, then zones.  We were on board around 12:40 (platinum).  The lines for regular check-in were extremely long.

I was on the Horizon sailing that returned on 1 Dec, so I can fill you in. We had to detour to Key West on the last evening to drop off a passenger for medical care. The stop itself was surprisingly quick, but obviously sailing out of our way to Key West delayed us a bit. On a side note, I absolutely loved Horizon - it ranks as one of my favorite cruises after spending some time away from Carnival!

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I think they are finding that debarkation is taking longer, so they can't embark early so they are warning people to come later.

I agree.  Vista has over 900 more passengers/guest than their other ships.

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

The OP may find that the hour delay in check in time might delay boarding for an hour (Yep Capt Obvious).

I believe Carnival is moving away from those early 10:30  - 11:30 boardings in their busier ports, especially with their larger capacity ships.  More people to debark, more luggage to move, more garbage to get rid of.

I have received several of those emails, and only once was boarding NOT delayed.  I'm speaking as a Diamond priority and check-in.

It seems these e-mails are fairly normal for Horizon from talking to friends and reading posts online.  I think you hit the nail on the head...Carnival can’t turn around Vista class ships as quickly as they can smaller ships, plus like you mentioned, there always seems to be at least 5 or 6 ships in port every time we sail out of Miami. 

8 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

Useful replies. Thank you. One more question. How much seating do they have in the check in/boarding area? Waiting I can do. Standing for an hour is something else!  

There is maybe seating for 500? but they will stop allowing anyone into the terminal if they reach fire capacity and boarding has not begun.