Cruise Critic Community

Thinking of booking cabin 3401 on Rotterdam.. any thoughts? Also would the cabin feel larger with single or king bed arrangement?

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Easier for the stewards to make up the bed if in the twin configuration, if there are no other considerations. The feel of the room does not change that much from my own experience.

To me the feel of space in the cabin is based more on the amount of drawer and closet space, and the sofa/desk area rather than the bed space- twin or double set up - which is not really usable for anything else. 

Thanks OlsSalt.... just wondered about which feels better:  window between beds or above bed.... also anyone with any comments about those promenade deck OV cabins?  We are a little bit apprehensive about those cabins but pricing was a big desl breaker.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

With the beds set as twins, there is more walking room between them. And it's easier to move your legs and feet around when getting dressed. It's also easier to get by the end of the desk and the end of the couch than when the aisles are on each side.
But it's easier to roll over when the bed is set as a queen.

I love that deck for the ease of getting outside, either when I spot something I want to go see quickly, or to sit on a lounger and watch the sea in peace.

Thank you Ruth.... my only worry about the deck is that the Lanai cabins have reduced the number of loungers available to other passengers, but may be each cruise is different.... i appreciate your thoughts on the cabin arrangement.

23 minutes ago, FrankieSue said:

my only worry about the deck is that the Lanai cabins have reduced the number of loungers available to other passengers

On the Veendam this is a real concern, while on the Maasdam it is much less so. The Veendam has a lot of lanai cabins along both sides, but by the time cabins on the Maasdam were converted, HAL had decided to have fewer of them. It's very easy to get a decent spot on the Maasdam, less so on the Veendam, in my experience.

The Rotterdam was the middle ship in the conversions, and I don't know which way it tips as to number of lanai cabins.

16 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

my only worry about the deck is that the Lanai cabins have reduced the number of loungers available to other passengers, but may be each cruise is different.... 

The Rotterdam being a bit larger than the Maasdam and Veendam also means more deck space. Possibly also some more Lanai cabins. But from my experience on the Rotterdam, there are always enough deck chairs available on Lower Prom deck .

Thank you all.  I hope that steamer chairs will be available... this is my favorite deck to spend the afternoon.

We were on the Rotterdam over this past Thanksgiving.  We had interior room 6133.  We had asked for the bed to be set-up as a single, but found that it was set-up as a queen bed.  We asked the steward, who remade the room as two single beds.......  I tell you that only so you know that I've seen the room in both configurations.  My wife and I both felt that the room felt 'larger' and was more serviceable in the two-single-bed configuration.

From the pictures that I have seen, the single beds arrangement also seems to me to make the room feel bigger. Thank you for confirming it.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:51 AM, FrankieSue said:

Thinking of booking cabin 3401 on Rotterdam.. any thoughts? Also would the cabin feel larger with single or king bed arrangement?

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Hi FrankieSue!

I have stayed (with my entire family) in partially obstructed OVs on Lower Promenade, on the Volendam and the Zaandam. We were in 4 and 5 cabins just aft of midship elevators (port) and as you say, the price more than made up for the view! I would take 3401 in a minute! (I chose the midship location for some of our party with limited endurance -- any one trip could theoretically be only half the ship's length at most!)

I have also stayed in interiors on the old Statendam. Insides are pretty much similar in layout to an OV -- they even have a curtain where the "window" would be -- we were THREE each time; one with the bed together, one apart (and one of our mom's on the sofa). The room DEFINITELY felt roomier with the beds apart! Also if you want to LOOK out of the window, much better if beds apart.

I can't speak to the availability of deck chairs -- both the above R-class cruises were to Alaska and I didn't spend too much time on the promenade, just checking the temps... Although several of the family walked it, even multiple times a day -- and loved being so close to the "biggest balcony on the ship".

Edited by crystalspin

Thank you so much Crystalspin, that really makes me feel good to hear something positive from someone who stayed in one of those cabins.... your input is very much appreciated... Happy sailing