Cancel or Postpone Cruise

fair-winds39

I've purchased Carnival's Insurance in the past, had to cancel the cruise, and I received a full refund without a problem. I was wondering for the future if I ever need to cancel again, could I instead postpone the cruise even if I've made the final payment and purchased Carnival insurance when we booked the cruise?? 

Thanks in advance for any responses.

There really is no postponement option, technically it is a cancellation and rebook, even if it is for the same ship and itinerary in a week.  Pricing will vary, too.

If you are wondering if you could just transfer the funds over, usually it requires separate payment, as the reason for cancellation must first be approved by the insurance adjuster.  If it was not a covered reason cancellation,  and you are using the 75% Any Reason cancel option, then it is sometimes possible to just transfer those funds to the new cruise, and you pay the difference.  

• Like 1

It depends on how far out you booked as to how much you will get back.

We canceled a cruise this past fall, as soon as we learned that we couldn't make it, and only had to pay a $50pp fee.  We rebooked for same ship for this coming April and all the rest of our downpayment went on that cruise.  Easy peasy.  

I would call Carnival and talk to someone, to see what your options are...

Not that easy, The insurance is through a third party now. I had to cancel a Vista cruise last year and it was a pain.

A couple forms required the medical doctor to fill out and sign along with medical codes of the back surgery my wife had to have from a car wreck. I got the port charges and taxes back right at cancellation but the rest took about 6 weeks. 

Thanks so much everyone. So if I have a cruise scheduled for March, could I just change it to the same cruise for later in the year, and be prepared to pay the penalties? Carnival could transfer the monies to the re-booked cruise?  Thanks for your help.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:57 PM, fair-winds39 said:

Thanks so much everyone. So if I have a cruise scheduled for March, could I just change it to the same cruise for later in the year, and be prepared to pay the penalties? Carnival could transfer the monies to the re-booked cruise?  Thanks for your help.

If the cruise is for March of this year, then you are already past final payment date and in the additional penalties phase.

No

You would have to invoke the Cancel For Any Reason clause and cancel the upcoming March 2019 cruise.

Then, you would have to book the 2020 March cruise, pay the new deposit requirements, buy new insurance policy, then you could use the 75% credit you received from the cancelled March 2019 cruise to pay towards the march 2020 cruise.