Cruise Critic Community
nelblu

Another Gratuities Question, But Not RCL--Frontier Airlines

I've been away a couple of days and apologize if this has been covered.  Frontier airline is asking passengers to tip flight attendants.  I'm sure they are decently paid and question the motive.  Are we suckers?  I know I'm not going to.

Below is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/other/frontier-airlines-is-asking-passengers-to-tip-flight-attendants/ar-BBRXIUL

There's a thread about it on the cruise air forum but it only has a couple of posts so far.

My understanding of this is that it's for when people PURCHASE food/drink on board, like tipping your server at a bar or restaurant -- it gives you an option to leave a tip on the tablet used to process the credit card payment. 

This is totally different than expecting every passenger on the plane to cough up a couple bucks in cash, IMO.  

Restaurant servers (in the US) are paid a lower than normal wage with the expectation that tips will make up the difference.

Are Flight Attendants paid a lower than normal wage for their services, thereby needing to supplement their compensation with tips?

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Restaurant servers (in the US) are paid a lower than normal wage with the expectation that tips will make up the difference.

Are Flight Attendants paid a lower than normal wage for their services, thereby needing to supplement their compensation with tips?

This whole thing kinda puts the old "Flight attendants are here for your safety" line into a new light.