Cruise Critic Community
Takeusawaynow

Transportation from Le Pecq to Versailles

We are leaving from Le Pecq on Oct 3, 2019 taking the Viking River Boat to Beaches of Normandy. We have one day on October 4, free to explore. We would like to go to Versailles. We will have been in Paris for 4 nights prior to this and will purchase the Paris Museum Pass.  We will get the 6 day pass which will give us admittance to the palace therefore we only need  transportation from Le Pecq to the Palace of Versailles ? Thank you for any suggestions/help

I would choose Uber.

GoogleMaps says it will take about 20 minutes.

Robin

If you aren't into Uber, there are websites that will help you estimate on the cost of taking a cab. Viking does offer a tour to Versailles but it is $179pp for a half day tour--or at least it is when we go in March--and it doesn't even include a meal. Way, way more than I would consider spending, even for the convenience.

PS, to those who aren't already following the thread, please join us on 

Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

, an attempt to corral the conversation about Viking's Rhone and Seine cruises in one place.

Edited by Peregrina651

I'm thinking of spending a couple of extra days beyond the 3 days that Viking offers so I can spend a full day seeing Versailles. One can buy skip the line tickets for only 30.00 a person plus train fare. Vikings price is too high to see Versailles and too short time wise.

15 minutes ago, dolllover said:

I'm thinking of spending a couple of extra days beyond the 3 days that Viking offers so I can spend a full day seeing Versailles. One can buy skip the line tickets for only 30.00 a person plus train fare. Vikings price is too high to see Versailles and too short time wise.

It is very easy to take the train to Versailles - we have done the trip several times. Info here: https://www.paristoversailles.com/paris-to-versailles-by-train-rer/paris-versailles-by-train-rer/

18 hours ago, Takeusawaynow said:

We are leaving from Le Pecq on Oct 3, 2019 taking the Viking River Boat to Beaches of Normandy. We have one day on October 4, free to explore. We would like to go to Versailles. We will have been in Paris for 4 nights prior to this and will purchase the Paris Museum Pass.  We will get the 6 day pass which will give us admittance to the palace therefore we only need  transportation from Le Pecq to the Palace of Versailles ? Thank you for any suggestions/help

It is very easy to take the train to Versailles - we have done the trip several times. 

RER Line C5 from Paris to Versailles-Rive Gauche Station

The simplest way to travel from Paris to the Chateaux de Versailles is by RER line C5 to Versailles-Rive Gauche station (Chateau de Versailles is often added to the station name), which is a mere five minute stroll to the palace. Line C5 trains have names starting with a V. Avoid if possible lines C7 and C8 that stops at Versailles-Chantiers station, which are far less convenient when heading towards the palace.

The RER line C5 runs through central Paris on the left bank of the Seine with stops at amongst others Champ de Mars – Tour Eiffel, Pont de l’Alma, Invalides, Musée d’Orsay, St-Michel – Notre-Dame, and Gare d’Austerlitz.

RER line C5 trains run up to four times per hour in around half an hour from central Paris to Versailles. The round trip fare is around €8 – buy tickets before getting to the platform.

Info here: https://www.paristoversailles.com/paris-to-versailles-by-train-rer/paris-versailles-by-train-rer/

Purchase your Versailles tickets here: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/

Edited by dogs4fun

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

It is very easy to take the train to Versailles - we have done the trip several times. 

RER Line C5 from Paris to Versailles-Rive Gauche Station

The simplest way to travel from Paris to the Chateaux de Versailles is by RER line C5 to Versailles-Rive Gauche station (Chateau de Versailles is often added to the station name), which is a mere five minute stroll to the palace. Line C5 trains have names starting with a V. Avoid if possible lines C7 and C8 that stops at Versailles-Chantiers station, which are far less convenient when heading towards the palace.

The RER line C5 runs through central Paris on the left bank of the Seine with stops at amongst others Champ de Mars – Tour Eiffel, Pont de l’Alma, Invalides, Musée d’Orsay, St-Michel – Notre-Dame, and Gare d’Austerlitz.

RER line C5 trains run up to four times per hour in around half an hour from central Paris to Versailles. The round trip fare is around €8 – buy tickets before getting to the platform.

Info here: https://www.paristoversailles.com/paris-to-versailles-by-train-rer/paris-versailles-by-train-rer/

Purchase your Versailles tickets here: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/

The problem is the the OP isn’t starting in central Paris, which makes the trip a bit more complicated. 

Ah yes, I see - it does make the trip more complex. Well, the OP could still take the train to Paris and then switch stations (via metro) and then take the train to Versailles.

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Ah yes, I see - it does make the trip more complex. Well, the OP could still take the train to Paris and then switch stations (via metro) and then take the train to Versailles.

Scratch this - taxi makes much more sense from Le Pecq. Train is great from Paris but not from Le Pecq.

Thanks everyone,  The Rome2rio website is very helpful.  I will find out how and where to purchase the bus ticket that is recommended.  If that fails my husband and I will call the taxi.   Nice to have a backup plan.

You might want to consider doing this trip before you board the ship, since you will be spending 4 nights in Paris. As noted, the trip is simpler from Paris than from Le Pecq.

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

It is very easy to take the train to Versailles - we have done the trip several times. Info here: https://www.paristoversailles.com/paris-to-versailles-by-train-rer/paris-versailles-by-train-rer/

Very easy to do if you are staying in "downtown" Paris.

BUT, I don't want anybody to be confused.

It is an entirely different story if you are trying to get to Versailles from the ship because Viking docks in LePecq not in the center of Paris, so taking the train means going into Paris and then back out again, like two sides of a triangle. Plus, you have to either take a cab or walk to and from the train stations. Le Pecq is only a 20 minute drive to Versailles, which gives Uber or taxi greater appeal because you save an hour or more each way. 

image.png.db3046d31d535709d9455a0568f72591.png

I know your question refers to transportation to Versailles but let me provide some additional information. When we visited we pre-purchased a guided tour ticket on their web site http://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices?public=10&visite-tid=2. This worked out great because upon your arrival you directly to the guided tours waiting area, avoiding the crowds waiting to enter the palace. We had a wonderful English-speaking guide and saw areas that are normally closed to the public. When our tour ended, we were free to roam the rest of the palace and/or the gardens. A guided tour ticket is 10 Euros in addition to the palace admission. I would arrive as early in the day as possible and when viewing the gardens, rent a golf cart. The gardens are huge and much more enjoyable from a golf cart. We had lunch in the garden restaurant and it was very enjoyable. 

Thanks, djett...I did not want the $$$Viking tour but it is always so much nicer with a guide!!

Take Us Away...or others....where are you staying pre-cruise in Paris?  We will be with another couple so an apt/airb&b would also be fine.  We have not been to Paris in many years so I do not even know which neighbhood/Arrondissement to look in...we will be typical wandering tourists....monuments, cafes etc.....going fall of 2019

On 1/12/2019 at 4:12 PM, gnome12 said:

You might want to consider doing this trip before you board the ship, since you will be spending 4 nights in Paris. As noted, the trip is simpler from Paris than from Le Pecq.

This is what we plan to do in November. We will be staying in Paris for three days before the cruise and would like to do Versailles before embarking on the ship. Do you have any references for drivers of tour guides that would do something like this: Pick us up from our hotel in the Saint Germain area, take us to Versailles and possibly give us a tour, and then take us to Le Pecq to the ship...?

that sounds perfect traveljems...I hope someone has some ideas...we will be there mid October