Jump to content
Stateroom_Sailor

Edge Marketing to Millennials

Recommended Posts

This demographic was not on my cruise.  We had a dog wearing baby clothes in a stroller with a handmade sign saying "service dog".  Plus, we had  residents from the Villages in Florida.  I did not see them in the video....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keesar said:

This demographic was not on my cruise.  We had a dog wearing baby clothes in a stroller with a handmade sign saying "service dog".  Plus, we had  residents from the Villages in Florida.  I did not see them in the video....

 

I would question whether this kind of advertising is premature, before the product has proven to actually draw the targeted crowd.  Affluent and socially animated 28 year olds, may be disappointed if they take this ad at face value, finding few onboard in their peer group.  

 

X probably hopes for a dynamic "Power of Suggestion" maneuver.

 

 

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ad missed the mark, unless all Millennial are under 5'9 tall.   The shot of the couple sitting in the IV cabin is way off.  Those models are tiny.  There is no way my wife and I would fit in the alcove (as I call it),as the portrayal shows.  I'm 6'3".

 

But then, this is marketing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only market they will be attracting are those that have the money that like to foolishly spend on a overpriced product.   I think most baby boomers are too smart and a little tighter on their hard earned bank account unless they are trying  to not leave any behind.  

 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see a single model over maybe 40 in the entire ad.....and there is a lack of focus (to be kind) on multiple races, color and sexuality (hoping to be politically correct here).     To be honest, I'd probably feel very out of place if the entire ship had the passengers shown in the ad ... and I certainly would never wear a bathing suit in public.  The folks that are enticed based on this ad are going to be very surprised when they actually board a celebrity ship.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miched said:

The only market they will be attracting are those that have the money that like to foolishly spend on a overpriced product.   I think most baby boomers are too smart and a little tighter on their hard earned bank account unless they are trying  to not leave any behind.  

 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

 

 

It might be that the marketing team is just trying to get power of suggestion out there for the next few years as 'we' transition to another life cycle and leave them as mere mortals. As they age they will be thinking there has to be a better way to spend money in Las Vegas, Atlantic City or wherever there is almost no chance to not lose as much money as you have in all your bank accounts. In the meanwhile 'we' will continue to fill the ships and support the cruise lines while the beautiful younger people do whatever it is to their liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

The ad missed the mark, unless all Millennial are under 5'9 tall.   The shot of the couple sitting in the IV cabin is way off.  Those models are tiny.  There is no way my wife and I would fit in the alcove (as I call it),as the portrayal shows.  I'm 6'3".

 

But then, this is marketing.

 

 

Funny we fit, 6’2” and 5’9”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we will not be expected to sit wearing  spa robes on those swing seats!

Most wear swim wear in PG rooms

 

Maybe we will all magically  become younger, thinner and better looking upon boarding, that would be a perk worth paying for,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oville said:

Funny we fit, 6’2” and 5’9”.

We were on the Dec 1 cruise in an IV, and it was ridiculous to continuously jockey the furniture around in order to get comfortable, which I never did. I felt I was sitting in bleachers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm booked on the Edge for Dec. 2020, pending cancellation. Good to know that when I board, at age 73yrs., I'll once again have a 30" waistline, no gray hair or facial wrinkles, and do nothing but smile and gracefully walk around the ship showing off my physique!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I didn't see a single model over maybe 40 in the entire ad.....and there is a lack of focus (to be kind) on multiple races, color and sexuality (hoping to be politically correct here).     To be honest, I'd probably feel very out of place if the entire ship had the passengers shown in the ad ... and I certainly would never wear a bathing suit in public.  The folks that are enticed based on this ad are going to be very surprised when they actually board a celebrity ship.....

You weren't looking very hard if you missed the people of color and what Could be construed as a same sex couple (Tuscan dining room at the table with 2 other couples;last shot on the Magic Carpet). The point of advertising is to project a certain viewpoint of your product. I thought it was a tastefully done and projects the image and target market they are going for. I most certainly did see exactly those types of passengers on my Dec. 16th sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

I'm booked on the Edge for Dec. 2020, pending cancellation. Good to know that when I board, at age 73yrs., I'll once again have a 30" waistline, no gray hair or facial wrinkles, and do nothing but smile and gracefully walk around the ship showing off my physique!

It's all smoke and mirrors, Pro. All of the people in the video are at least 70 years of age and most of them are wrinkled and overweight. This is, of course, an attribute of the Revolution. Not previously revealed.

 

By the way, no elders were hurt in the production of the video. All canes, walkers, and scooters were stored closely in case of emergency.

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you guys drink from the fountain of youth, from whatever they got going in that Edge Spa area, don't let it go to your head.  No wonder they're not adding self service laundry facilities, you'll all suddenly be tempted to swallow Tide Pod and take the challenge. 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 43 and my wife 39 ........ We both laughed at the above video. They sure are trying hard to target younger cruisers. Like said, let's see how many 20-30 somethings drop $5K to $7K for only a week on the edge ..... I'll bet very few even if they aren't experienced cruisers. Celebrity is dreaming this scenario with those prices and in the meantime Celebrity is having their loyal demographic of cruisers walk the plank (or roll) right off the Edge. This idea is a double bust ....... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even traditional cruise video adverts show cruises in which stunningly attractive women smile lovingly at impeccably handsome men. Yet to go on one of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No different from any other ad, and any cruise ad i’ve seen. So no sure what the issue is. Young, well dressed, and when a bit of gray does show: very fit, trim and look like someone whose 40 with premature gray hair. 

 

I keep looking for the 5’6’’ balding guy whose a bit ‘round’ and more than a few wrinkles.....but expect for my wife, who wants to cruise with that geezer!?!? 

 

Even ads for geezer meds, reverse mortgages (give me a break!), scooters,etc all of them look fit and the only indication of being older is a gray wig on a model and a guy who just played 6 sets on the tennis court, and not out of breathe. 

 

Personally I hope they are successful bringing on a younger crowd. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wiltonian said:

Even traditional cruise video adverts show cruises in which stunningly attractive women smile lovingly at impeccably handsome men. Yet to go on one of those.

 

I hope no one goes on a cruise to see attractive women smiling at handsome men.  This type of advertisement is meant to indicates that you can have a romantic experience with your partner, and it does not require the whole ship to participate.  For instance:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No different from any other ad, and any cruise ad i’ve seen. So no sure what the issue is. Young, well dressed, and when a bit of gray does show: very fit, trim and look like someone whose 40 with premature gray hair. 

 

I keep looking for the 5’6’’ balding guy whose a bit ‘round’ and more than a few wrinkles.....but expect for my wife, who wants to cruise with that geezer!?!? 

 

Even ads for geezer meds, reverse mortgages (give me a break!), scooters,etc all of them look fit and the only indication of being older is a gray wig on a model and a guy who just played 6 sets on the tennis court, and not out of breathe. 

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Personally I hope they are successful bringing on a younger crowd. 

Den

 

X retro advertising has average looking older men, linked below.  

 

As far as being successful bringing on the younger crowd, I hope it works too, they're too far in.  It's likely going to be seen as a successful risk of marketing genius, worthy of admiration, or a train wreck.  Either way X is marking their spot in history.

 

 

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiltonian said:

Even traditional cruise video adverts show cruises in which stunningly attractive women smile lovingly at impeccably handsome men. Yet to go on one of those.

That's me and my dh....stunningly attractive and impeccably handsome....all in our heads but it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 9:17 PM, keesar said:

This demographic was not on my cruise.  We had a dog wearing baby clothes in a stroller with a handmade sign saying "service dog".  Plus, we had  residents from the Villages in Florida.  I did not see them in the video....

This made me laugh......   the truth is funny sometimes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stateroom Sailor....interesting ad....more folks closer to our age...the lack of ethnic/color diversity jumps out at me.  I'm now looking forward to someone pouring champagne for me on my IV balcony on the edge and having the simultaneous reveal of the main dish in the MDR 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Stateroom Sailor....interesting ad....more folks closer to our age...the lack of ethnic/color diversity jumps out at me.  I'm now looking forward to someone pouring champagne for me on my IV balcony on the edge and having the simultaneous reveal of the main dish in the MDR 🙂

 

I saw cruising demographic statistics recently, and blacks and whites are both more likely to have cruised, or want to cruise.  Everyone else was lumped into "Other", and appeared to have little interest.  Our HAL Alaska cruise must have had 15 - 25% Asians in their 40's and 50's.  I think both the ad and the lumping statistic, were a bit short sighted.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

We were on the Dec 1 cruise in an IV, and it was ridiculous to continuously jockey the furniture around in order to get comfortable, which I never did. I felt I was sitting in bleachers.

 

I'm not against the renewing of the Summit décor before we sail next September, but I am not looking forward to the new balcony chairs. Not a deal breaker, but they look so uncomfortable, and we like sitting on the balcony to read during the day, or for after dinner cocktails in the evening sometime. Those chairs just don't look comfy at all. Makes me wonder about the new furniture. Just because something looks good, it doesn't mean it's comfortable. We did love Celebrity a lot on our first cruise with them last year, hoping for the best for our upcoming trip with X.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about  marketing a good cruise experience for all and backing that up on board? 

 

Early cruises on X had quite a cross section of ages, regions, countries backgrounds...Common factor was all loved cruising  ...sea, sky, sun, good dining / wine, varied  live music  and new experiences ..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bermadu22 said:

I'm not against the renewing of the Summit décor before we sail next September, but I am not looking forward to the new balcony chairs. Not a deal breaker, but they look so uncomfortable, and we like sitting on the balcony to read during the day, or for after dinner cocktails in the evening sometime. Those chairs just don't look comfy at all. Makes me wonder about the new furniture. Just because something looks good, it doesn't mean it's comfortable. We did love Celebrity a lot on our first cruise with them last year, hoping for the best for our upcoming trip with X.   

 

The littler mailer we received awhile ago  about the Revolution of the fleet shows very nice balc chairs, awesome decor in depictions for Millenium staterooms, suites,  the retreat, dining rooms,  lounges etc.   Style looks warmer than EDGE to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hcat said:

 

The littler mailer we received awhile ago  about the Revolution of the fleet shows very nice balc chairs, awesome decor in depictions for Millenium staterooms, suites,  the retreat, dining rooms,  lounges etc.   Style looks warmer than EDGE to me...

 

Let’s hope they haven’t purchased a ‘job lot’ of those Edge balcony chairs then 🤞.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People keep saying that this is specifically geared towards millennial but honestly it’s no different than any other companies ads that feature a group that’s younger, more beautiful, more physically fit, and more stylish than the average group of folks. For example, the average Victoria’s Secret customer doesn’t look like one of their angels. Yes it would be nice to see a more accurate reflection of their customers, but this is nothing unusual in the world of advertising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand that some cruisers may find the ad showing only the young, fit and beautiful.   Would you be enticed to cruise if the advertisement showed Overweight, Electric Scooter bound folks fighting their way to the buffet area.   

I don't find the advertisement offensive nor do I find that it is different than any other advertisement I see on TV daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can understand that some cruisers may find the ad showing only the young, fit and beautiful.   Would you be enticed to cruise if the advertisement showed Overweight, Electric Scooter bound folks fighting their way to the buffet area.   

I don't find the advertisement offensive nor do I find that it is different than any other advertisement I see on TV daily.

 

The big difference is that they are trying to sell a social experience to Millennials, that may be downright opposite to the truth.  This ad doesn't showcase ports, the ocean, or room amenities, just a giant nightclub full of outgoing 28 year olds.

 

Very different from pushing a toaster to Millennials, that's hip and techy.  If they buy that toaster in store, they're not doing it for the others in the checkout line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, a Celebrity brochure addressed to our son arrived our actual mail (in the post).  He is a senior in college, and took his first cruise, on Celebrity as it happened, when he was 6 months old.  What I noticed about the presentation was that there were no maps or details about any of the cruise itineraries.  Instead, each "featured" cruise presented listed the name of the itinerary, the ship, and days.  Accompanying this simple information, was a pretty photo and description of a supposedly appealing excursion available at one of the ports.  The cost of the cruise was not broken out by cabin category nor was a price range given.  Oh yes, and book ending the whole presentation was an emphasis in pictures and text on the Celebrity Edge.  Neither my wife or myself who regularly get cruise advertisements, both of us who are Elite + and sailed on =X= last year and have a scheduled cruise this year on =X=, received this particular brochure.

I mention this, because the advertising campaign seems of all a piece, and I AM NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE!!!  anguish, woe, and deep disturbance!  

 

Well, it really does drive home the message the world is moving on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cruisefam38 said:

Yesterday, a Celebrity brochure addressed to our son arrived our actual mail (in the post).  He is a senior in college, and took his first cruise, on Celebrity as it happened, when he was 6 months old.  What I noticed about the presentation was that there were no maps or details about any of the cruise itineraries.  Instead, each "featured" cruise presented listed the name of the itinerary, the ship, and days.  Accompanying this simple information, was a pretty photo and description of a supposedly appealing excursion available at one of the ports.  The cost of the cruise was not broken out by cabin category nor was a price range given.  Oh yes, and book ending the whole presentation was an emphasis in pictures and text on the Celebrity Edge.  Neither my wife or myself who regularly get cruise advertisements, both of us who are Elite + and sailed on =X= last year and have a scheduled cruise this year on =X=, received this particular brochure.

I mention this, because the advertising campaign seems of all a piece, and I AM NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE!!!  anguish, woe, and deep disturbance!  

 

Well, it really does drive home the message the world is moving on. 

 

 

All our recent emails from X appear to be addressed to our teenage son, who, like your son, has sailed with them since being young. Perhaps you are correct, they are their target audience and we are not (unfortunate as we still pay for his vacations).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cruisefam38 said:

Yesterday, a Celebrity brochure addressed to our son arrived our actual mail (in the post).  He is a senior in college, and took his first cruise, on Celebrity as it happened, when he was 6 months old.  What I noticed about the presentation was that there were no maps or details about any of the cruise itineraries.  Instead, each "featured" cruise presented listed the name of the itinerary, the ship, and days.  Accompanying this simple information, was a pretty photo and description of a supposedly appealing excursion available at one of the ports.  The cost of the cruise was not broken out by cabin category nor was a price range given.  Oh yes, and book ending the whole presentation was an emphasis in pictures and text on the Celebrity Edge.  Neither my wife or myself who regularly get cruise advertisements, both of us who are Elite + and sailed on =X= last year and have a scheduled cruise this year on =X=, received this particular brochure.

I mention this, because the advertising campaign seems of all a piece, and I AM NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE!!!  anguish, woe, and deep disturbance!  

 

Well, it really does drive home the message the world is moving on. 

 

Personally, I would have copied the casinos and gone for Gen X in such a way, that it still appeals to boomers and millennials, tried for a smooth transition.  New Wave music seems like a neutral music that most generations like, or at least don't mind.

 

What I don't get, is the our 2014 Celebrity cruise was repetitive in 70's references, nods to the Village People and Abba.  In 2016, this had all switched to 90's alternative, appearing to go after younger Gen X, like me.  I even heard Green Day and Pearl Jam inside Blu one morning!  Evidently, that got scrapped at some point, and it was back to 70's music on our fall 2018 cruise.

 

Now we're witnessing an even bolder and expensive attempt, at an even younger generation.  Don't be surprised if they fallback with flyers directly aimed at you before long...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

 

The big difference is that they are trying to sell a social experience to Millennials, that may be downright opposite to the truth.  This ad doesn't showcase ports, the ocean, or room amenities, just a giant nightclub full of outgoing 28 year olds.

 

Very different from pushing a toaster to Millennials, that's hip and techy.  If they buy that toaster in store, they're not doing it for the others in the checkout line.

 

Engagement in a 30 second video is already a tough sell. 15 second and even 7 second video spots are where you capture attention. You cannot incorporate ~4 different topics in a 30 second spot. Like others said, this isn't a heavily targeted piece. It's standard advertising fare. I don't think I've ever seen an ad featuring scooters and chubby people eating hot dogs at the Mast Grill. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Win a Cruise with the Most Highly-Awarded Small Ship Cruise Line in Alaska
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×