Cruise Critic Community
cntrydncr1

12 voucher package gripe

So the package including 12 vouchers has disappeared and the vouchers will be discontinued in March.  So those of us who purchased this package but don't sail till after that time have been told we are just not getting the vouchers.  They have no plans to replace or compensate in any way because the contract says 'they reserve the right to change the package",   I just don't see how they fulfill their agreement with some people and screw the rest of us.  What really aggravates me is that my niece and her family (3) people and I all added this PURELY for the drink vouchers.  The extra $60+ isn't going to break the bank but for my nieces family that is over $180 lost and now they must add the cost of purchased drinks on top of that.  This is my second MSC cruise but guaranteed it will be my last.  Terrible customer service and appreciation.  I'm sure there are quite a few of us on here getting screwed out of our money.  Do we have any recourse or is there anything else we can do???  This is very frustrating.  I mostly sail Carnival and they would overcompensate for losses rather than screw their customers!

Welcome to MSC!

You have a very valid grievance;  you're not getting what was promised when you booked.

MSC, at the moment at least, is 'grandfathering in' the old all-inclusive drinks packages.  I believe this may be partly due to the backlash they've probably received around the withdrawal of the vouchers.

I used to tolerate some of the negative aspects of sailing MSC because of the great value and low prices.  However, the way things are going, I'm not sure we'll be sailing with them into the future.  There is just no regard for their customers - even regular ones (though the onboard experience often makes up for it).

It has been known for a long time that the vouchers were going away in March. They are being replaced by the "drinks on us" package that they have been including since the decision. You will still get drinks, just not only 12.

I'm pretty sure OP is talking about Seaview where for some time the 12 vouchers were still offered for Fantastica bookings.  Over time it has become only for sailings before March 25th.  What people thought they would get depended on what - and when - they used as their information source because the wording for non Caribbean sailings on the US website was changed several times and it also differed from some of the US brochures which made no mention of the March 25th end date.

We are losing our 12 drink Fantastica vouchers on our Mar 30 Splendida sailing, even though the MSC booking agent assuured us they were included as we were booking. We never received any proof in writing and then I read about the policy change on the MSC website and here on this board. We will survive, but not hsppy as their sales agents REALLY ought to know when something is being eliminated and not tout it to customers!

Edited by lambs2

Same thing happened to us. 4 couples booked in April 2018 for an April 2019 sailing . The drink vouchers were part of the Fantastica experience and were listed on our booking when we logged in. They have since been removed and we are told they will not be replaced. Our cruise is on the Med so there is no Drinks on Us promotion. 

Horrible customer service!

Lois

I booked our first cruise with MSC for 5/2020 in Fantastica because of the vouchers.  My husband doesn't drink much, so this was a great deal for us.  I booked through a TA that I have never used before and was assured that the vouchers were available.  I found out a couple of days later that they were no longer offering this, so I called the TA.  She said she had heard the rumor and would confirm with MSC and call me back.  Sure enough, nothing.  I told her that I would have booked Bella had I known this, and she started giving me this song and dance that if I switch to Bella I will lose my OBC and in the end it will be a $25 price difference.  I have stewed on this all week, and I finally called and spoke with a supervisor, she is going to review the calls and get back with me next week.  The bottom line for me right now is that I have ZERO trust in TA and would switch if I could (I did tell the supervisor this)!  Unfortunately, if I cancel everything I am out the cost of the insurance, so I guess I am stuck.  My husband and I are really looking forward to this cruise, but this all just makes me sad.

On the Armonia cruise we are looking at in October the fine print for Fantastica says the vouchers will be offered until the last winter sailing.

Ah vouchers, so the decision to drop the vouchers in March was made in August, so anyone who booked before August should still get them after March. After arguing this point with MSC customer service in November for an hour and half I was assured the vouchers would be honored. 

Although upon reflection we decided to upgrade to classic before the December deadline.

Regarding the drinks on us argument,  bella also got DoU, and anyone that sailed fantastica this year got both DoU and vouchers. Also the fantastica vouchers were an integral part of the fantastica experience, they were never a promotion (unlike the Armonia vouchers).

Edited by ssmea03

22 hours ago, SeaShark said:

It has been known for a long time that the vouchers were going away in March. They are being replaced by the "drinks on us" package that they have been including since the decision. You will still get drinks, just not only 12.

August 2018, and a lot of people booked much earlier than that. In fact I have an April 2018 brochure and there is nothing in it about the vouchers ending.

I was just going to book the Preziosa with the Fantastica package for October, 2020. It's a week cruise out of Germany if that matters.  Will this cruise get the Drinks on Us promotion? Is this a package you have to purchase?  I cruised once with MSC 8 years ago so not at all familiar with them!  Thanks so much.

19 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

I was just going to book the Preziosa with the Fantastica package for October, 2020. It's a week cruise out of Germany if that matters.  Will this cruise get the Drinks on Us promotion? Is this a package you have to purchase?  I cruised once with MSC 8 years ago so not at all familiar with them!  Thanks so much.

No, the current promotion if you are booking in NA is "all in" with the easy drinks package.

6 minutes ago, ssmea03 said:

No, the current promotion if you are booking in NA is "all in" with the easy drinks package.

What is NA? Is the easy drinks pkg the free water and coffee?

Just now, 3dogmom said:

What is NA? Is the easy drinks pkg the free water and coffee?

North America.  Easy is drinks up to 6$ and includes the 15% service charge. 

Yes this is for the Mediterranean sailing of the Seaview.  No vouchers...no replacement of any drink package even though we booked long before August.  Everyone needs to voice their displeasure with this to MSC for what it is worth.  I'm going to keep bugging them.  We originally booked Bella and then upgraded.  Our room did not change so we are asking for the upgrade money to be refunded.  WE still have a few months to complain.  Will let you know if we get anywhere with it.

I'm a little confused with the different packages and the different locations.

We booked Fantastica on Sinfonia for Fed 22 2019, Med cruise.  I thought we would have the vouchers.

After reading this post I checked my booking and I don't see them anymore.

It used to say 12 vouchers on this page. 

"I know give them a call" I seem to be giving them a call about everything and getting different answers for the same question

It feels like a full time job.  I'm not calling anymore.

I can promise you one thing.  If the vouchers are not there this will be our last MSC cruise. I'm sorry to say that because we liked them.

Cabins
Cabin Details
Stateroom # 1156 Ocean View
Experience
Fantastica Experience
Deck
Passengers
pax-M.png
JAMES
pax-F.png
April
Price Details
Services Included
Dining_75x75.png
DINING
entertainment_A_75x75.png
FREE ENTERTAINMENT
Gym_pool_C_75x75.png
ACTIVITIES, FITNESS & POOL
kids_club_75x75.png
KIDS CLUB
earn_points_2_75x75.png
EARN POINTS
Additional Benefits of Fantastica Experience Experience
  • • Bella benefits plus...
  • • Free Room Service
  • • Preferred Dining Time
  • • Ideal stateroom location

On 1/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, SeaShark said:

It has been know since Aug 2018. We booked our cruise in Apr 2018. There is no "drinks on us" package on Med sailings so if we want our drinks, we will have to pay for them, even though they were part of the experience when we booked.

15 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

Anyone calling to complain should point out that other CC members have been assured that if they booked before August they will still receive the vouchers after March. This assurance was given to me, and I was told it would be applied across the board (as we are sailing with friends on a separate booking).

2 hours ago, Bases5 said:

I'm a little confused with the different packages and the different locations.

We booked Fantastica on Sinfonia for Fed 22 2019, Med cruise.  I thought we would have the vouchers.

After reading this post I checked my booking and I don't see them anymore.

It used to say 12 vouchers on this page. 

"I know give them a call" I seem to be giving them a call about everything and getting different answers for the same question

It feels like a full time job.  I'm not calling anymore.

I can promise you one thing.  If the vouchers are not there this will be our last MSC cruise. I'm sorry to say that because we liked them.

Cabins
Cabin Details
Stateroom # 1156 Ocean View
Experience
Fantastica Experience
Deck
Passengers
pax-M.png
JAMES
pax-F.png
April
Price Details
Services Included
Dining_75x75.png
DINING
entertainment_A_75x75.png
FREE ENTERTAINMENT
Gym_pool_C_75x75.png
ACTIVITIES, FITNESS & POOL
kids_club_75x75.png
KIDS CLUB
earn_points_2_75x75.png
EARN POINTS
Additional Benefits of Fantastica Experience Experience
  • • Bella benefits plus...
  • • Free Room Service
  • • Preferred Dining Time
  • • Ideal stateroom location

And this is what was in the April 2018 brochure. 

20181117_163746.jpg

13 minutes ago, ssmea03 said:

And this is what was in the April 2018 brochure. 

20181117_163746.jpg

Thanks for the picture. 

We booked in June 2018 and we sail in Feb 2019. So by their rules we should get the vouchers. 

I’m just wondering if it’s the same in Europe as it is in the U.S. for U.S. citizens 

These coupons (or lack thereof) and mostly the oatmeal...ruined my cruise. 

Please book another line if the above are deal breakers...tilt at another windmill...the above is all in jest...breath.

Things change folks, everyone will never be pleased. Drinks are not that expensive, just buy some...plus if you see me at the bar...I will probably buy you one too...if a couple hundred $$$ is gonna break the bank, you best stay home and work.

I cruised Bella and Fantastica, loved both...

Cheers and enjoy your cruise!

4 hours ago, NMsunset said:

These coupons (or lack thereof) and mostly the oatmeal...ruined my cruise. 

Please book another line if the above are deal breakers...tilt at another windmill...the above is all in jest...breath.

Things change folks, everyone will never be pleased. Drinks are not that expensive, just buy some...plus if you see me at the bar...I will probably buy you one too...if a couple hundred $$$ is gonna break the bank, you best stay home and work.

I cruised Bella and Fantastica, loved both...

Cheers and enjoy your cruise!

Cheers! That is the attitude! Hope we run into you on future cruises! First Woodford Reserve is on me! 

Read a comment earlier where someone was complaining that MSC was no longer the line they were in 2010. Well, of course not! It is no longer 2010... 

MSC is growing rapidly. Things will change. And, that really is okay. We love the line and the on board experience! 

Cheers! 

I hope to book Armonia for May and was looking at a Fantastica cabin.  Don't want the All In package since my DD isn't much of a drinker.  The drink vouchers would've been nice but I certainly am not going to book with another line because of them.  NOTE:  just took my 1st MSC last month on Divina with >30 total cruises since 2001.

Armonia's cruises to Cuba are still a better deal compared to the others lines I've researched.  If I'm going to Cuba, I want an overnight stop there, not just a day stop, which is what most other lines offer at approximately the same price for 5 days as compared to Armonia's 7.

EDIT:  Just wanted to say that if the vouchers had been included at the time I booked, then, yes, I'd be a bit peeved that they were not going to be made available or substituted in any way.

Edited by NCTribeFan

37 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I hope to book Armonia for May and was looking at a Fantastica cabin. 

You may not know, but those booking Fantastica balcony suites on Armonia (on all Lirica-class) enjoy MyChoice dining (if it's of interest to you).