Cruise Critic Community
BirdTravels

Norwegian Joy Cancels Her First US Voyage

What happened to the thread on the Joy cancelling her first US voyage?  

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Joy's Alaska sailing from Seattle on April 27, 2019. All guests booked on this sailing must be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We regret to inform you that the April 27, 2019 sailing on Norwegian Joy has been cancelled. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment this may cause. As a gesture of goodwill, we are offering guests currently booked and fully deposited on this sailing the following options:

Option 1: Move to any Norwegian Joy, Norwegian Bliss or Norwegian Jewel 2019 Alaska sailing and the original cruise fare paid along with applied promotions will be protected. You will also receive a non-refundable $100 per person onboard credit (maximum of $200 per stateroom). Onboard credit may be used for any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges.  

Option 2: Move to any sailing in our fleet at the current published fare and your deposit will be moved to the new ship and sailing date. You will also receive a non-refundable $100 per person onboard credit (maximum $200 per stateroom). Onboard credit may be used for any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. 

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person for any flight change fees incurred. We look forward to hearing from you by January 24, 2019 to modify your reservation. If we don't hear from you by January 24, 2019, your reservation will be cancelled. We are standing by on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST. For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact information in handling your reservation.

We apologize again for this change and thank you for your continuous loyalty and support. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon and providing you with an exceptional vacation experience.

We’re on her May18..... is this most probably the refurb not getting finished or does anyone know?  That’s scary and I can just imagine the disappointments from passengers on the May 4th cruise!!

Perhaps the planned conversion renovation has had some hang ups and will not be done in time for that first sailing.

NCL has well learned it lesson about fixing renovation on the fly while under way cruising.

There could be crew issues - getting everyone on board to sail that first cruise.

The original dry dock was suppose to be something like March 24 - April 10.

Were we the victim of slow sales? The cruise was lightly loaded. The Joy was the first ship to ever get the "free airfare" promo then the Take All (before it was offered fleetwide) to try and fill the ship. Did NCL underestimate the market and their ability to fill two megaships a week out of Seattle?

Odd - but you may have the answer therein - too many cabins - way too many cabins for sale and

overestimating the market potential.

Maybe NCL should have put either the JOY or the BLISS in the total Alaska cruise trip replacing the

JEWEL but then there is the Lions Gate Bridge issue at Vancouver (clearance and sailing with the tides ?)

Maybe the origin of the trip should have been San Francisco or Los Angeles (San Pedro) for one of the mega ships

creating 10 day cruise trips instead of the 7 out of Seattle.

I have this feeling that someone is throwing blindfolded darts at a revolving dart board trying to get a piñata

Ouija board response ! What is NCL thinking or planning ?

So,,, this morning, NCL’s story is that they have decided to extend the inaugural events. According to the ship’s Schedule, they had planned to be in Seattle 5 days prior to the first cruise. Now, they have added a week. They want to “introduce” the ship to the US (Inagiral events, parties, media/TA non-revenue cruises) to hype the ship and their Alaska cruises. 

Bottom line is FDR is partying so our vacation has been canceled. 

Poor NCL Joy.  She just seems to not fit in no matter where she goes 😞

I was surprised putting a new MEGA ship in the Asian market as much as I was surprised 2 MEGA ships sailing Alaska at the same time.  The Alaskan market is strong but is it that strong?  The Asian market was strong but proved not strong enough.

The worst part in all of this is not getting BirdTravels full photo review of the ship :classic_angry:

57 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I was surprised putting a new MEGA ship in the Asian market as much as I was surprised 2 MEGA ships sailing Alaska at the same time.  The Alaskan market is strong but is it that strong?  The Asian market was strong but proved not strong enough.

which is strange since i see a lot of other cruise lines successfully deploy ships in the Japan/Asian area. Maybe FDR is getting a bit greedy and thinks they ship can make more sailing out of USA...hmm

I was watching the April 27 for weeks hoping for a price drop then it disappeared. We’ve moved our hotel/air to wait out a possible adjustment in the current May 4 departure. Anybody familiar with the Alaska market want to speculate on the likelihood of an adjustment down to my fav $449 or less pp? Best I can tell the ships still wide open/light, granted it’s over 3 months out. I’ve gotten some crazy great last minute deals with Norwegian.

10 minutes ago, Av8torcrj said:

I was watching the April 27 for weeks hoping for a price drop then it disappeared. We’ve moved our hotel/air to wait out a possible adjustment in the current May 4 departure. Anybody familiar with the Alaska market want to speculate on the likelihood of an adjustment down to my fav $449 or less pp? Best I can tell the ships still wide open/light, granted it’s over 3 months out. I’ve gotten some crazy great last minute deals with Norwegian.

I don't have personal experience but I live 3 hours from the Seattle cruise port - I will be looking for deals this summer, I am shocked at how much space is available on the Joy sailings I checked

The April 27 run was light until it imploded/sank. I was thinking it was because it was the very first cruise of the season and perhaps folks were waiting for things to warm up a bit. Maybe there’s more to it. 

30 minutes ago, Av8torcrj said:

So,,, many from the cancelled cruise will move 1 week to the next. So NCL takes two lightly loaded ships and gets a fully loaded ship. Airlines do it all the time. Prices may not drop. 

Ive considered that likelihood. I’m betting some will take their offer and move to more desirable sailings as well. We’ll see. No loss either way. The airline cost to change the dates was .40 cents ( I love SW). If it doesn’t work out on to the next great deal!

Edited by Av8torcrj
Add

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The original dry dock was suppose to be something like March 24 - April 10.

Were we the victim of slow sales? The cruise was lightly loaded. The Joy was the first ship to ever get the "free airfare" promo then the Take All (before it was offered fleetwide) to try and fill the ship. Did NCL underestimate the market and their ability to fill two megaships a week out of Seattle?

I've been watching the Joy pricing as I really want to sail her. I LOVED Bliss so wanted to check out Joy. To be honest, the pricing for the ports they are offering is way too high, in my opinion! I've done Alaska at least 10 times (maybe even more) as it's an easy (and usually relatively low cost) option for me living in Vancouver. The fact that they are not offering any real glacier viewing is a huge thing - that's the reason most cruise to Alaska unless doing a land tour as well. I'm surprised they didn't make it a 14 day roundtrip and go all the way up to Whittier and back - but maybe this ship is just too big for that?

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The April joy prices dropped at 5he end of last week, then popped back up. Then cancelled. 

Did they go below $749? I saw weeks of $749, a few days of $849 then gone.