Does UBP affect your cruise choice

pjo

Our family (5 adults in 2 cabins) went on our first NCL cruise last year (Canary Islands cruise on the Spirit) and had a terrific time. We had the UBP and it was the best perk we have ever received.  We have taken many cruises on Princess, RCCL, Costa, and MSC but have received nothing close to the UBP.  So...my question is this...does getting the UBP have any affect on what cruise line you choose when you plan your next cruise.

Paul

Absolutely, especially if the cruise is more than 7 days.  Drinks and beverages add up fast.  I prefer not to spend my vacation keeping track of my consumption.  However, after cruising primarily on Celebrity over the last few years, I'm very disappointed in the mandatory gratuity charge by NCL on the "free perk package".  If it wern't for the fact that Celebrity didn't have an itinerary this year to compete with NCL's - 21 day Arabian cruise, we would have remained with Celebrity.  $800 plus in beverage gratuities is a bit much and if you have a day where you only consume one or two drinks in a particular day, you end up paying gratuities for beverages you didn't consume or service that wasn't provided.  Celebrity provides the drink package perk on many of their sailings without tacking on a mandatory gratuity charge. Reportedly, they cover the gratuity on the free beverage perk.  We also make sure our Celebrity servers and bartenders are well compensated throughout the cruise. 

25 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Absolutely, especially if the cruise is more than 7 days.  Drinks and beverages add up fast.  I prefer not to spend my vacation keeping track of my consumption.  However, after cruising primarily on Celebrity over the last few years, I'm very disappointed in the mandatory gratuity charge by NCL on the "free perk package".  If it wern't for the fact that Celebrity didn't have an itinerary this year to compete with NCL's - 21 day Arabian cruise, we would have remained with Celebrity.  $800 plus in beverage gratuities is a bit much and if you have a day where you only consume one or two drinks in a particular day, you end up paying gratuities for beverages you didn't consume or service that wasn't provided.  Celebrity provides the drink package perk on many of their sailings without tacking on a mandatory gratuity charge. Reportedly, they cover the gratuity on the free beverage perk.  We also make sure our Celebrity servers and bartenders are well compensated throughout the cruise. 

Are you doing the Spirit Arabian Odyssey in Feb 2020? If yes, join us here

Depends on the trip we are planning. This time around, dh & I were looking for something cheap and easy from the NYC area. I got a balcony on the 7 day Nassau run on the Escape with a beverage package for the same price it would have been an inside room on Anthem (8 day Nassau run) if I was paying for 2 beverage packages. So this time we went with Escape. 

If I was looking for something where I was taking my mom or we were flying to get the cruise, then any line would be on the table. 

I pretty much add in drink package cost in when I'm looking at the overall cost of the trip, same as I add in transportation and excursion costs. 

Not for me, itinerary and connivence of port is why I decide on a certain ship/line. It just so happens NCL sails out of NY, so it is the line I usually sail on, although I have sailed CCL, RCI, and Celebrity. The UBP is a great perk though 🙂 

Edited by cathi007

It absolutely does for us. No matter which cruise line we’re going to sail on, we’re going to be buying the beverage package. So that cost has to be figured in when I’m comparison shopping. 

The whole reason we’re taking our first NCL cruise in 11 days is the UBP perk. This is a trial run, if Norwegian works for us I plan to buy some CruiseNext certificates and book a cruise on the Encore next winter. 

Edited by Phaedrus78

I just drink lemonade and water on cruises and maybe buy one or two diet Pepsis a day, so no it doesn't affect my choice of cruise at all.  The taxes on the perk based on the fact that I'd maybe buy two sodas a day would mean it's not worth it to me.  I'm not against alcohol, but prefer to skip the calories and it puts me to sleep.

We're the odd balls here, we just don't drink that much, so with the gratuities, it's not worth the cost for us to get it on the longer cruises. For the 7 day ones, yes, but I am not paying $600. for it when we usually don't drink more than 2 drinks per day for the both of us. For most, I am sure it's a great deal!

Yes is our answer.  After sailing on Carnival and Princess for years we went on NCL and will not go back to Carnival or Princess because we enjoy the UBP.  We did just sail on MSC and had the Drinks on Us package and loved it.  Booked this year for 21 days on MSC with the Drinks on Us package.  Would love to go on NCL again but seems like their prices have skyrocketed if you want the drink package.

11 hours ago, pjo said:

Our family (5 adults in 2 cabins) went on our first NCL cruise last year (Canary Islands cruise on the Spirit) and had a terrific time. We had the UBP and it was the best perk we have ever received.  We have taken many cruises on Princess, RCCL, Costa, and MSC but have received nothing close to the UBP.  So...my question is this...does getting the UBP have any affect on what cruise line you choose when you plan your next cruise.

Paul

As our cruising days are winding down due to age, etc we strictly cruise NCL. But if it was 10 years ago, I dont know if the UBP would make a difference. I think it would influence us. We are not "see how much you can drink" people but we love knowing we can order almost anything we want and not have to worry about the bill at the end of the cruise. 

Yes! The UBP promo's value only increases on longer cruises. It was a major factor in choosing our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise coming up on the Bliss in March. We get a drink package on every cruise no matter the line we are sailing. It was less than a $500 service charge for 15 days for the package for the wife and I. Similar Panama cruise on other lines would have cost more than $1500-$1600 for drink packages for that duration. A thousand dollars + is a lot of money. Some will say that they just put that cost into the cruise. When I can sail the new Bliss for 15 days with the UBP for $500 less than a 14 day on Carnival with Cheers on an old ship its apparent which was the better deal. 

• Like 1

Not anymore. I have probably done more than 180 days with drinking packages, most UBP on NCL. But now the difference between sail away rate and the cheapest cabin for the drinking package promotion and then added fees is just not worth it. And the quality of included drinks has dropped so significantly over the last years as well. 

Oh and of course > 50 days a year with free drinking is not healthy at all over time. 

Edited by micm