Front of the ship?

zitsky

At first, when getting off the elevators, we didn't know which side of the ship was the even-numbered or odd-numbered rooms.   Then we noticed the wall phone to the side of the elevators was always on the same side of the ship on every floor.  So we started looking for the phone to show us which way to go to our hallway/cabin.  (of course, now I don't recall if the phone was on the port or starboard side!  Too many visits to those bars, I guess).  You'll just have to do your own research onboard.

To complicate your decision, there are three bars on seven, Explorers at the bow, pool bar midships (only open certain hours) and Aquavit stern in back of World Café.  Of the three, Aquavit is open nearly all day where Explorer will order your drinks from Aquavit if they are not currently pouring and you will have to wait for someone to bring them.

7 minutes ago, ropomo said:

To complicate your decision, there are three bars on seven, Explorers at the bow, pool bar midships (only open certain hours) and Aquavit stern in back of World Café.  Of the three, Aquavit is open nearly all day where Explorer will order your drinks from Aquavit if they are not currently pouring and you will have to wait for someone to bring them.

Anyone know when Explorer bar opens?  Aquavit sounds nice.  Just not sure how comfortable the chairs are.

This is getting too complicated. Kidding.

Explorer is open practically all day (juice, coffee, etc.), but in my experience, the alcohol is locked up and they are not pouring until about 6:00pm.  Also, Explorers may be open (alcohol) later (midnight or so) than Aquavit (9:00pm+).  If it's not apparent, I am an experienced beverage package optimizer. 😉 

Edited by ropomo

Our first night on-board we were exploring the ship using the map Viking supplied. We’ve done this on other big ship cruises. We found the Explorers lounge when the bar tender noticed us looking at the map. He told us the ship was easy to get around on. He said for everything we need/want just remember decks 7, 2 & 1. Bars on 7, restaurants 2 & 1 aft. The exceptions are World Cafe on 7 and the Viking Bar on 1. I found this tip to work and never looked at a map again. Still had problems quickly finding Port/Starboard. I try the telephone location tip on our June cruise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Living room bar starts serving alcohol as soon as it is open, in the 6:00 am timeframe.  Aquavit no later than the World Café, at least by 11:00am

Yes!  I guess I'll be in the living room.

Just an old fashioned way to remember port and starboard - use the old saying 'The red port was left on the table'; so when you are facing forward (the front) port is always on your left.  Simples.

To get all the phraseology in place - the front of the ship is the bow or forward, the back of the ship is aft or stern.  Midships is midships (middle of the length), and the middle of the width is athwart.

We have known people (on cruises where all the drinks had to be paid for n board, in the bad old days before drinks packages) spend virtually all the cruise in the bars (as long as the bars were open), and then they would have drinks parties in their cabins when the bars were closed!  I simply don't see the point of that.

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes!  I guess I'll be in the living room.

We liked the Living Room in general. Comfy chairs, bar and often nice music. They serve tasty snacks in the late afternoon and sometimes at night. They were puffy bits with cheese. They also have muffins in the morning, cookies pretty much all day, and some sandwiches and salads.  They have an espresso machine and they can make hot chocolate, so you can get a tasty hot beverage with or without a spike of stronger stuff 😜

We also liked the Aquavit Terrace. We ate breakfast and lunch out there every day, but we had warm weather. I don’t think I would choose that In cooler climes 😁

I found the ship one of the easiest to learn of all the ones I’ve been on - except for the Longships where you can’t get lost!  They offer a tour on the first day at various times. I highly recommend doing it!  I had studied the deck plans and did the 360 tours on the website, but the tour really put everything into place for me. 

After that I was home. 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Deck 1 is the Viking Bar in the Living Room

Deck 7 - Explorers Lounge, Pool Bar

And the bar in the disco Torshavn (Deck 2) which open each evening after dinner.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

And I remember aft not sure why.

Because it the opposite of 'forward,' which already is crystal clear?

While we are at it.  Here is how to tell if you are using the forward or aft elevators, just in case you get disoriented (which I do all the time). Forward elevators and stairwell share the same foyer and only two elevators. Aft, stairs and elevators have separate foyers and there are four elevators.

5 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

We have known people (on cruises where all the drinks had to be paid for n board, in the bad old days before drinks packages) spend virtually all the cruise in the bars (as long as the bars were open), and then they would have drinks parties in their cabins when the bars were closed!  I simply don't see the point of that.

An (expensive) way to get someone to do the mixing, serving and the cleaning up?

20 hours ago, VJMAZZ said:

There are signs on the both sides of the hallways as you enter from the elevations/stairs. 

8D39A17A-70AB-4645-881B-5594125EA3EB.jpeg

Ha, it's helpful by the elevators but not exiting your room.  Took me awhile to remember R to elevators and L to laundry from my room.  Being a small boat sailor and always having the bow and stern visible, not knowing directions in the hallway drove me batty.  🤣

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And the bar in the disco Torshavn (Deck 2) which open each evening after dinner.

Because it the opposite of 'forward,' which already is crystal clear?

While we are at it.  Here is how to tell if you are using the forward or aft elevators, just in case you get disoriented (which I do all the time). Forward elevators and stairwell share the same foyer and only two elevators. Aft, stairs and elevators have separate foyers and there are four elevators.

Thank you... but now I have to go figure out what a "faux yea" is.  (Kidding)

I will remember 2 and 4 elevators.  Lower cabin numbers towards the front of the ship.