Dress Code query - would a tie look out of place on an Evening Casual night

PrincessPete

Hi, just some advice please. On those nights where formal attire is not required do many (or indeed any) men tend to wear jacket and tie?

I am not terribly comfortable being a "casually" dressed person in the evening being old fashioned (and liking it when the nights other than formal were jacket and tie, not open necked shirt).

I know times change and I have no problem with the relaxed dress codes......my query is whether I would look totally out of place with a sports jacket and tie on non-formal nights other, obviously, than Tropical nights.

Thanks for any guidance.

Kind regards. Peter

13 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Hi, just some advice please. On those nights where formal attire is not required do many (or indeed any) men tend to wear jacket and tie?

I am not terribly comfortable being a "casually" dressed person in the evening being old fashioned (and liking it when the nights other than formal were jacket and tie, not open necked shirt).

I know times change and I have no problem with the relaxed dress codes......my query is whether I would look totally out of place with a sports jacket and tie on non-formal nights other, obviously, than Tropical nights.

Thanks for any guidance.

Kind regards. Peter

Not at all, many gents will wear a tie.

You won't feel out of place - a lot of us ladies dress smartly even on the Evening Casual nights and don't feel overdressed or out of place and a lot of men wear jackets and ties and look very smart too. Go for it.

I nearly passed out when I saw this thread - how refreshing, someone who actually wants to  follow the dress code and wants to dress smartly on all other evenings. May need to lie down in a darkened room now ;-)

Seriously,

P&O is still one of the most formal lines around (I think) and when we have sailed on even the most casual of her ships in the Summer most people dress smartly in the evening and we have seen lots of ties and jackets even in August. Have a great time - if you like to dress up you will love it. :-)

Edited by Presto2

I agree with Presto. I am in my early 30s and think it is wonderful that P&O maintain that tradition of having a dress code and it adds to the cruise. We dress smartly on all evenings, and my dad who has been cruising for a long time now with P&O always wears a jacket and tie on non-formal nights as do many other gentlemen, so you certainly will not feel out of place Peter.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I tend to wear a jacket every night.  It's a question of where to put your reading spectacles etc.  Trouser pockets do not really work.  Most often I either wear a bow tie occasionally a normal tie.  In general I find the problem with them is that they like to jump into soup.  A Tie Clip system or tucking them in would be a system.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On our Christmas cruise (so maybe more dressy) I would say more guests dressed up almost every night than did the smart casual thing. I loved that and never felt overdressed even though I dressed up much more than on our usual cruise line.