15-day Los Angeles/Hawaii

bestdogever

Those sea days can keep you busy. Lots to do: destination lectures, lei making class, ukulele class, plus the usual trivia, etc.

It's always a thrill to watch the temperature get warmer & warmer as you get closer. Plus we keep an eye out for turtles, whales, dolphins & flying fish.

We've done 7. One after we moved to Hawaii. :classic_rolleyes:

What is the time for best chance of less choppy waters?  Also, best time for whales/turtles/ other wildlife?  Does the departure port make a difference for these things?

I know “best” is subjective but wondering about this based on the many of you who have traveled route multiple times.

3 hours ago, bestdogever said:
If you have taken the 15-day Princess cruise to Hawaii we would love to hear your thoughts about the itinerary, ship, activities, etc. Thanks.

We did it in early December last year. Enjoyed it a lot. Lots to do on the ship plus saw a lot of the things we wanted to see in Hawaii. Definitely will do the same trip again. Check out the video if you like :classic_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txwriter said:

What is the time for best chance of less choppy waters?  Also, best time for whales/turtles/ other wildlife?  Does the departure port make a difference for these things?

I know “best” is subjective but wondering about this based on the many of you who have traveled route multiple times.

As posted the highest possibility of less desirable conditions is near the West Coast.

If asking about viewing sea life from the ship don’t expect it because the ship transits between islands after sunset.  There are opportunities to see whales or turtles from the Maui shorelines at this time of the year.  Whale season is generally best during February (and only slightly less desirable in January & March) however that can vary & it’s best from a boat excursion.

I’ve sailed roundtrip LA several times which having fewer wintertime storms may provide better weather closer to CA than from SF.  If you want fewer crowds then January is a great time to visit Hawaii because with daily high temperatures of about 80° the weather is just perfect with fewer visitors!  😎

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks everyone for your comments, and nf5894 for posting your super video - looks like your family had a great time. This cruise is very tempting. I believe we would be on the Star if we take it the end of this year. We are going on a 12-night Alaska journey in a few months and that will give us an idea about how we like a large number of sea days. I am hesitant to wait until after we return to book a Hawaii trip for fear the cabin location we want won’t be available or the price will go up. All that said, we are looking forward to  hearing everything our fellow cruisers want to share.

9 minutes ago, bestdogever said:

Thanks everyone for your comments, and nf5894 for posting your super video - looks like your family had a great time. This cruise is very tempting. I believe we would be on the Star if we take it the end of this year. We are going on a 12-night Alaska journey in a few months and that will give us an idea about how we like a large number of sea days. I am hesitant to wait until after we return to book a Hawaii trip for fear the cabin location we want won’t be available or the price will go up. All that said, we are looking forward to  hearing everything our fellow cruisers want to share.

Our cruise departed on Dec 4th 2018. We didn't book it until late September and there were still lots of cabins available then. We're looking at doing the same cruise again this year which leaves on the same date - this year it is on the Star, which does have fewer cabins so maybe we'll have to book earlier!

Have fun on your Alaska cruise :classic_wink:

Although it is a lovely cruise it was too expensive for the few ports. If they had some over night stays in port I would have liked it much better.  The naturalist they had on board was very interesting and I attended all her lectures. 

I can't provide any meaningful feedback on this itinerary yet. However, I'm leaving for L.A. this Thursday to board the Emerald for the L.A. to Hawaii trip and will likely post a "Live from..." thread here in order to answer any questions that people may have (although I warn you all that I'm pretty low key when I go on vacation so don't expect any sort of adventures like Pescado Amarillo or TracyABD post about).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Croptop said:

I can't provide any meaningful feedback on this itinerary yet. However, I'm leaving for L.A. this Thursday to board the Emerald for the L.A. to Hawaii trip and will likely post a "Live from..." thread here in order to answer any questions that people may have (although I warn you all that I'm pretty low key when I go on vacation so don't expect any sort of adventures like Pescado Amarillo or TracyABD post about).

Can you please do a screen shot or provide information on the pricing  offered to platinum /elite for unlimited internet packages instead of the free minutes?  I’m on the same cruise later this winter and I’d like to get an answer ahead of time.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, nf5894 said:

We did it in early December last year. Enjoyed it a lot. Lots to do on the ship plus saw a lot of the things we wanted to see in Hawaii. Definitely will do the same trip again. Check out the video if you like :classic_wink:

Very nice video.  I loved the street painter in California.  That was awesome

• Like 1

We have been to Maui, Oahu and the big island on land trips with at least a week or more on each island.  We will be on the Star in November for our first cruise to HI.  The only new port will be the garden island which we are looking forward to doing.  Now to address the many sea days.  We have been on TA cruises also with many sea days one after the other.  We enjoy them because they truly are relaxing where we can enjoy the ship, read our books, have leisurely meals and enjoy the entertainment at night without having to worry about getting up early the next day for a tour.  We driven the road to Hana (all day adventure), rode bicycles down Maui's Haleakala volcano, toured Volcano NP, snorkeled the many beaches etc.  

1 hour ago, bbangel74 said:

For people who have done this cruise did you have excursion or other activites you would recommend in the ports?

When in Honolulu I would recommend an excursion to visit Pearl Harbor where you can see the Arizona museum and memorial, the battleship Missouri, and the USS Bowfin submarine museum.

Since you stay until late that day, I would recommend taking the short walk from the ship to try the great hot wings at Hooters.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grandmacruise said:

Can you please do a screen shot or provide information on the pricing  offered to platinum /elite for unlimited internet packages instead of the free minutes?  I’m on the same cruise later this winter and I’d like to get an answer ahead of time.  Thanks!

I don't have a screenshot to share (I will get one when I board the ship on Friday) but this was posted in the roll call for the 04 December 2018 L.A.-Hawaii sailing by @SingBill

"Onboard Emerald now. Platinum/Elite options when I sign in are as follows

250 free

100 min $25

200 min $40

social $95.99

surf $135.99

premium $187.99"

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, bestdogever said:
If you have taken the 15-day Princess cruise to Hawaii we would love to hear your thoughts about the itinerary, ship, activities, etc. Thanks.

This may be a little dated, and it is the 15 day from San Francisco, but it may give you a general idea.  Thought I would check in on the Princess boards, because I was getting several notifications as someone was reading the old review. 

Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

This may be a little dated, and it is the 15 day from San Francisco, but it may give you a general idea.  Thought I would check in on the Princess boards, because I was getting several notifications as someone was reading the old review. 

Enjoy your cruise.

That was fantastic! Thank you!

I'm doing this cruise in early April. I had been looking forward to spending lots of time in the pool on the sea days, but it occurs to me now that the first week of April might be too cold on the sea days? I'm not sure what to expect or if the pools will even be open? 

Loved the video .Fabulous shots & action :classic_biggrin:

We are going again on Star Princess Dec4 ,2019  from San Pedro  . We can drive to this port & park at the  Double Tree hotel by Hilton ,at the Harbor  . Staying there get free pkg & R/T shuttle to & from the ship .The Crown Plaza hotel in San Pedro also has a similar program stay &  park free 

We have been to all the islands many times both on fly ins & cruises . One of the best tools is to get the AAA auto club Hawaii tour book ,so you don't miss the important things to see & do  .In the book they use GEMS ;which are must sees .  Oahu is the culture capital with the Hawaiian cultural Center (book on line for a discount ) .Recommend getting  6 people to share a mini van & drive there .allow one hour each way  & return of the mini van . If not there go to the Bishop museum  for the history of the islands , then to PearlHarbor , The Punch Bowl  ,& the state capital 

On Maui ,of wanting to do the road  to Hana road trip do it through the cruise line because it is long & a private trip could miss the ship  .  Kanapali  beach is a short ride by taxi or bus or rental car (no life guards ) .There is a neat shopping center there & a maritime museum  .Above Kanapali is Kapalula beach which is imo the best place to snorkel from shore over reefs . 

Hilo is where you can rent a car  & drive up to see Volcano National Park . If you go with a senior who has the National Park card the car load gets in free .& do not miss the little museum . Kilauea volcano  recently   irrupted  . Kona is the desert side of the big island where Hilo is the Garden side .  Much to see on the Big island 

Kauai has  beauty because it is so green from a lot of rain  .it is the wettest of the main islands  . Check the AAA tour book  before  your cruise

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, txwriter said:

The Pacific is a big ocean.  You can get heavy swells from down by New Zealand during our summer

(their winter) ...or not.   You can get heavy swells from the Gulf of Alaska during out winter.  ...or not.

Seeing wildlife mid-Pacific is an absolute crap shoot, but you're not going to be able to see, for example,

dolphins from up on the Lido deck even if the bridge notices them, slows the ship, and announces them.

What difference the departure port makes is the likely temperature outside the first few and the last

few days.

Edited by Haboob

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, bestdogever said:

I actually wrote about it last month.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2617085-underwhelmed-by-princess-emerald/