Is this new Dress to impress?

People want to impress. 

Many think formal is old and boring. 

Just a good marketing strategy. 

Maybe, this way the cruise ship can have people look nice, hopefully, decrease the complaints from people about the wrong type of clothing showing up in a formal setting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

People want to impress. 

Many think formal is old and boring. 

Just a good marketing strategy. 

Maybe, this way the cruise ship can have people look nice, hopefully, decrease the complaints from people about the wrong type of clothing showing up in a formal setting. 

You could be on to something. Tell people that have to dress formal and they'll roll their eyes and groan. Tell them to dress-to-impress, and they'll break out their fanciest threads/gear/duds.

Ironically, more people may end up dressing fancier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

We had both a formal night and a dress to impress night on our Empress cruise in October. I had never seen that designation before.😀

Sherri🙂

I thought Empress had no formal night.   At least there was no formal night when we sailed about 18 months ago.  Perhaps things have changed.

M

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I thought Empress had no formal night.   At least there was no formal night when we sailed about 18 months ago.  Perhaps things have changed.

M

Our October sailing was a 7 night cruise so I think that was a change for Empress.  I had read on CC that Empress did not have a formal night so we did not pack any dressier clothes.  My husband wore dark jeans with a polo style shirt and I wore a long sundress.😀

It worked out well as our table mates wore shorts😂😂

Sherri🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, springfire said:

We are going on the Jewel in Feb, wondering if we will have any formal nights or will they both nights be dress to impress?

Nothing has changed, wear whatever you like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

A positive way to say partly cloudy.

Actually, in meteorology they are two different descriptions.  Mostly sunny is the classification just below sunny in terms of cloud cover and can only be used during daylight hours.  Partly cloudy is the next level down and can be used to describe daylight or night time hours.  Bit of a weather geek here if you can't tell 😁

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I think the rough translation is "dress in something that makes you want to have our professional photographers take your picture."

BINGO. If anyone thinks “formal night” is anything more than a cruise line trying to make a few extra bucks selling photos, they’re fooling themselves.

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Our October sailing was a 7 night cruise so I think that was a change for Empress.  I had read on CC that Empress did not have a formal night so we did not pack any dressier clothes.  My husband wore dark jeans with a polo style shirt and I wore a long sundress.😀

It worked out well as our table mates wore shorts😂😂

Sherri🙂

Our empress sailing was also 7 nights. No formal night.  

M