Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Shellbackx3

QM2 Dance lessons and dance hosts

Recommended Posts

This has probably been answered, but, if so, i cannot find it.  We are scheduled for a seven day cruise on QM2.  We have been told by Cunard that there are no pros to provide dance lessons on seven days cruises. Was surprised to learn that, but we are wondering if the dance hosts will provide private lessons?

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised to hear you've been told there will be no dance pros on your 7 night voyage. On my many voyages with Cunard there has always been a pro dance couple onboard regardless of the number of nights and there have always been dance classes on sea days. I have never heard of the dance hosts giving lessons but that doesn't mean that they definitely don't, however not all dance hosts are good dancers.

 

Daisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Daisy, yes, we were surprised too. Hopefully, the Cunard agent was wrong.  Agree that not all the hosts are great dancers, but most we have seen are better than we are!  So, maybe lessons from one of them might be a good thing.  Thanks for your response.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shellbackx3 said:

Hopefully, the Cunard agent was wrong. 

 

When we called the Cunard agent about questions we had regarding dining and decks (we are in the US and got a US agent) we got some very uninformed answers from the lady we talked to... My husband and I were on the same call and looked bewilderingly at each other after talking to her, because she really did not seem to have a clue how to answer us. We have honestly gotten better and much more informed answers asking fellow Cunarders 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shellbackx3 said:

Thanks Daisy, yes, we were surprised too. Hopefully, the Cunard agent was wrong.  Agree that not all the hosts are great dancers, but most we have seen are better than we are!  So, maybe lessons from one of them might be a good thing.  Thanks for your response.

 

Keep in mind that the pro dance couple usually teach International Style ballroom dance as opposed to American Smooth Style found in most US land based ballrooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shellbackx3 said:

This has probably been answered, but, if so, i cannot find it.  We are scheduled for a seven day cruise on QM2.  We have been told by Cunard that there are no pros to provide dance lessons on seven days cruises. Was surprised to learn that, but we are wondering if the dance hosts will provide private lessons?

 

Thanks! 

Your post is not clear if your voyage is a Transatlantic crossing ? or something like those  July 4th  'port intensive' trips between NY- Canada etc.

All Transatlantic Crossing ( sea days) schedule midday 'basic' dance lessons. 

 I doubt you'll find a suitable Gentleman/lady dance host to give you private lessons. Incidentally, dance hosts are not permitted to accept payment from guests for lessons  , unlike the pro's .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, this answers the question. If the hosts cannot accept payment, we would not want to ask them for lessons.  

 

This is a seven day port intensive trip, but the Cunard agent said that there are no dance pros on any cruises seven days or less. That certainly was not true in May, 2017, so we are hoping the agent was wrong.

 

Thanks again for your response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BobBranst said:

Keep in mind that the pro dance couple usually teach International Style ballroom dance as opposed to American Smooth Style found in most US land based ballrooms.

Good point!  We would not do well with International Style.  During our last QM2 cruise, the pros were New York City based, and, of course, had no trouble with American smooth, but maybe they were the exception.   Thanks for your response.

Edited by Shellbackx3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On QV in 2017 there was an internationally ranked dance couple who gave occasional demonstration dances and I believe could offer paid lessons.   They were around a lot during dance events and fun to talk to.  On QM2 in August and November 2018 there was no dance couple- the assigned one was missing and lead dancers from the show filled in.  This arrangement was apparently resolved in December 2018.  

 

In all cases for us the dance hosts were from the UK.  They seemed to know many dances, were quite good and would be very involved in sequence dances.  They were on short contracts.  They were not very busy- surprisingly.  

 

During orchestra dance events the floor was crowded (good), but one could not get formal in technique - the ship was moving and there was no space.  The serious dancers met during recorded music events when the floor was not as full.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure when you are sailing but I would have thought so long as the dance pros were onboard then there would be lessons.  I know there has been some changes of personnel recently but am sure that one of the regulars will be back on QM soon.  I agree that I don’t think the dance hosts would be able to give private lessons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tangoqueen said:

Not sure when you are sailing but I would have thought so long as the dance pros were onboard then there would be lessons.  I know there has been some changes of personnel recently but am sure that one of the regulars will be back on QM soon.  I agree that I don’t think the dance hosts would be able to give private lessons. 

Quite correct Tangoqueen, the 'international Dance Pros' will most certainly be onboard , regardless of the length of the voyage/cruise, as they are often on a contract of up to three months, or even longer if they opt for it. 

 

For the original poster Shellbackx3;  ...I'd take no notice of what you may have been told by a Cunard agent shoreside, they may be getting mixed up  with onboard activities on 'port days rather than sea days'.  

Edited by Bell Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...