Refrigerator on Liberty

GoBucksGoPhilly

Can someone help me out please...I am cruising on the Liberty on 2/10/19 and my two children will need medication refrigerated. One person at Carnival told me the cabin will have a refrigerator because all cabins do. Another told me they are a first come first served basis through Guest Services. Does anyone know if all rooms have refrigerators?? Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, GoBucksGoPhilly said:

I am cruising on the Liberty on 2/10/19

and my two children will need medication refrigerated.

One person at Carnival told me the cabin will have a refrigerator because all cabins do. Another told me they are a first come first served basis through Guest Services.

Does anyone know if all rooms have refrigerators??

In 11 cruises on Carnival ships

I can't think of any cabin we ever had.. that did not have a fridge!

One word of advice:

cooped up in the cabinets they're hidden away in

those little fridges don't work real well -unless you leave the fridge-cabinet door open

to dispel the hot air that fridges generate, in order to provide you

with cold on the other side of the heat-exchange equation!

Cabin stewards will routinely shut the cabinet door while you're away

but I swing it open as soon as I get back in.

The difference in function is noticeable!

Notice I'm speaking about the door of the cabinet that contains the fridge unit

-NOT the door of the little fridge itself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigcraig said:

Ours was broken, ran but compressor was gone.

Steward said almost all his rooms refrigs were inop, hope for new ones some day.....

I'll bet the burnt-out rate on cooped-up cabin fridges is high

due to over-heating/exactly what I described above

-no proper venting for the warm air they create.

Those silly little slots in the cabinet

are not nearly enough to efficiently vent the warm stuff out!

An extractor fan might help?

5 hours ago, Aplmac said:

In 11 cruises on Carnival ships

I can't think of any cabin we ever had.. that did not have a fridge!

The Fantasy class does not have them unless you are in a suite.

I was on the Liberty last year in an interior room. We definitely had a fridge.

None of the ship's before the Conquest Class had refrigerators in them.   The Liberty is in the Conquest Class so it will have one. Some of the ships that didn't and have went through refurbishing have had them added to some of the cabins, but not all.

For the original poster, what the Carnival rep you talked to meant was that they have special refrigerators just for medicine that are limited to the availability.  To be safe, request one at Guest Services as soon as you board, not knowing if the one in your cabin will work or not.

• Like 1

From Carnival's website: 

Diabetes/Medicine Storage

Staterooms on a number of ships are equipped with non-stocked mini bar units which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use them to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, medi-coolers are available on board in limited quantities, and on a first come, first serve basis - please visit our Guest Services Desk once on board; a $75 refundable deposit is required. If a medi-cooler is not available, our ship’s Medical Center will arrange storage - please contact them once on board. Note: A small, personal-sized cooler no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing medications is permitted as carry-on luggage. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bbtbear said:

From Carnival's website: 

Diabetes/Medicine Storage

Staterooms on a number of ships are equipped with non-stocked mini bar units which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use them to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, medi-coolers are available on board in limited quantities, and on a first come, first serve basis - please visit our Guest Services Desk once on board; a $75 refundable deposit is required. If a medi-cooler is not available, our ship’s Medical Center will arrange storage - please contact them once on board. Note: A small, personal-sized cooler no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing medications is permitted as carry-on luggage. 

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. Not sure how I missed that. But that is very helpful 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoBucksGoPhilly said:

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. Not sure how I missed that. But that is very helpful 

I would recommend you bring along a power strip that is NOT a surge protector. Surge protectors are not allowed, but you will probably only have one plug available in your room. So if you need a plug dedicated to a medi cooler, you won't have any plugs at all available for phone chargers, etc. unless you bring a power strip or extension cord with multiple outlets. Best of luck!