Cruise Critic Community
zitsky

Has anyone had the beef tartare at Mamsen's?

How was it?  I've had salmon tartare on a recent trip.  Have had some pretty rare beef sometimes.  Never had beef/steak tartare.  Is it just ground up rare beef?

yes I had some

steak tartare recipes vary of course but in general there's the raw beef obviously and egg yolk as the 'liquid' then typical additions are some combination of capers, mustard, Worcester or anchovies, onions or shallots and sometimes hot sauce.  Everything is finely chopped then formed into a patty <think unckooked hamburger> .. and a side of whole capers and chopped onion/shallot is common, and with toast points. 

Mamson's was pretty good. I had it more than once; I recall it was on the app' menu in the dining room too.

<Viking Sky this past July, Midnight Sun>

There is a danger in eating raw meat and uncooked egg of course .....

You won't find many restaurants that even serve this anymore while 'in the old days' it was sometimes prepared tableside.

Bern's in Tampa has 3 variations on the app' menu.  Basic, Quail eggs and truffles .. I've had there several times over the years.

If you want something similar but a lil safer (no egg) try beef carpaccio which is super thin sliced raw beef (almost see thru) seasoned and hit with a lil olive oil and lemon and often served with some arugula and shaved parmesan. There are also versions which use a different protein like a game meat or tuna or salmon. Difference from tartare being it is not chopped or mixed with egg.

try some on your next cruze ... don't cost nuthin'

Edited by Capt_BJ

42 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How was it?  I've had salmon tartare on a recent trip.  Have had some pretty rare beef sometimes.  Never had beef/steak tartare.  Is it just ground up rare beef?

Our SIL is of Danish heritage and they make it for Boxing Day. Their version includes freshly ground raw steak piled on a thin piece of toast. They create an indentation in the top of the meat and add a raw egg yolk.

While I like my steak rare, the raw meat isn't of interest, so I have never tried it.

Ok let's see if I am brave enough to try it.  Maybe with a nice red wine.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Ok let's see if I am brave enough to try it.  Maybe with a nice red wine.

It was strange at Mamsons and very good  in the MDR. Mamsons was unflavored raw meat wrapped around a piece of bread. It badly needed seasoning and no raw eg either.  I eat tartare where ever it is on the Menu and would not eat it at Mamsons again. 👎

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

While I LOVE beef carpaccio, I found the beef tartare on VO unappealing. YMMV.

Where did you order it?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Where did you order it?

I’m almost certain it was at the Living Room bar on Deck 1.

They have a case of small sandwiches.

Manfredi's has a nice carpaccio on their appetizer menu.  It is sliced very thinly and nicely seasoned.  Not a big fan of tartare but have had it on occasion ... okay if the beef is very, very fresh.  Mamsen's has so many other nice options I wouldn't bother with the tartare ... but to each his own ... and as Capt_BJ says "don't cost nothing"!

15 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I’m almost certain it was at the Living Room bar on Deck 1.

They have a case of small sandwiches.

I didn’t try it but it was available in the living room bar.  I saw some eating it and they seemed to enjoy it.  I did enjoy the pickled herring in Mamsens.  My question is why that wasn’t available in the World Cafe?  I suppose it makes Mamsens unique.

33 minutes ago, wildcat68 said:

I didn’t try it but it was available in the living room bar.  I saw some eating it and they seemed to enjoy it.  I did enjoy the pickled herring in Mamsens.  My question is why that wasn’t available in the World Cafe?  I suppose it makes Mamsens unique.

Agree.

need to drive the pax to ALL the outlets!

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Agree.

need to drive the pax to ALL the outlets!

I think drive is the wrong word.  Think about enticing them there instead. 

Edited by zitsky

On 1/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, orchestrapal said:

It was strange at Mamsons and very good  in the MDR. Mamsons was unflavored raw meat wrapped around a piece of bread. It badly needed seasoning and no raw eg either.  I eat tartare where ever it is on the Menu and would not eat it at Mamsons again. 👎

Agree. Mamsons  was very bland and it was more like a paste. Didn’t like it in MDR either lately nor in Manfredi. Too much mustard and vinegar. You don’t taste the beef which is safe to eat on Viking or in very good restaurants. Only one time we had great steak tartare in MDR on our first day 2 years ago...and never since. The recipe probably has changed and now all the ships and their venues follow new recipe (info from my kitchen tour ). Steak tartare should have spices and herbs. NO vinegar! Mustard only on the side. It’s actually great tasting dish with a lot of flavor. It’s abailable in MDR, Manfredi, and Mamsons for sure but Mamsons is totally different.

In France, Germany and Austria it is made with mustard, sometimes with pickles and very finely chopped raw onions plus a raw egg, no vinegar.