What's the difference between a veranda and a balcony?

annimc19

I agree as far as the words meaning the same thing on the S and the M class ships. Eclipse is an S class ship. But on the edge they are trying to re-define the word veranda. They are describing their rooms as having an infinite veranda. In fact it’s just a room with a window. (I am reminded of Humpty Dumpty claiming that when he used a word it meant whatever he wanted it to mean)

Let me offer my thoughts and see which ones you may agree with.

Veranda and balcony are pretty close to synonyms in their usage in descriptions of cruise ship cabin space. In the design of a house, I think of certain verandas as supported from below, while balconies are suspended or cantilevered. The examples of veranda I am thinking of occur mostly in the Southern USA. Also a veranda as part of a house is a space you can walk up onto from off the property, while a balcony is not generally reachable except from the rooms it is attached to. I once lived in a flat that had a small patio (the developers called it that anyway). For the exact same floor plan, one floor up, the developers and residents agreed the space above my patio off their flat was called a balcony. The one qualifying feature of those balconies was that they were suspended over each other and over patios like mine.

In light of the above, perhaps both terms don't apply well to something attached to a cruise ship cabin, except where they are clearly cantilevered. The balconies on Princess ships are cantilevered in the cases I've seen up close. Their weirdness is that the Sky Suite (oddly enough the most expensive cabin on the Sky Princess) has a "wrap around balcony" that could better be described, in land terms, as a terrace. 

Edited by cardiffman

On 1/16/2019 at 5:27 AM, bigbeergut said:

An infinite veranda gives the illusion of balcony without any of the benefits of a balcony and several disadvantages.  

Well, thanks for that.  I'm a nurse and whenever I saw IV in this or other posts, I thought it meant IntraVenous.   Infinite Veranda!  Haha.

4 hours ago, CruisinRoxy said:

Well, thanks for that.  I'm a nurse and whenever I saw IV in this or other posts, I thought it meant IntraVenous.   Infinite Veranda!  Haha.

I'm not in the medical profession, yet every time I see that "IV" in this forum, even knowing what it means, I still think "intravenous."  Or sometimes "four."  But never "infinite veranda." 

• Like 1

It sounds to me like the OP is asking about veranda as a class of cabins on the Eclipse.  Veranda class cabins have balconies. Concierge and Aqua class cabins also have balconies. Hope that helps.