Cruise Critic Community
Rick&Susan

Which luxury cruise line offers best included wines?

First time on Regent, decent wines included, wondering who has the BEST included wines among the luxury all-inclusives- Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Regent,...?

Thanks!

Wines are so subjective - what one person likes, the other may not and the price of the wine isn't always a good indicator of whether or not you will enjoy it.  Personally I prefer Veuvre Cliquot Champagne over Dom Perignon even Dom is double the price (I know - you asked about wines - not champagnes).

There is a current thread on the Crystal website that shows some of their included wines (see post #9)

We have sailed on Silversea and felt that the wine choices were no better or worse than Regent.  

Agree, wine is very subjective.

With that said, the included wines on Regent are ok to good.  You can usually find a favorite or two for the cruise.

Not well versed on the other lines, but will state that even if you prefer something more dynamic than the “included” wines, the Regent “upgrade” wine list is good and reasonably priced relative to a typical US restaurant.  We are avid wine collectors/consumers and find the “included” wines to generally be just fine, but will purchase a few bottles each cruise when we want something a little more special.

Have sailed both Silversea and Regent about 200 days each line. Silversea, in our view, has a better complementary wine list as well as a connoisseur wine list.  Just as an example, Silversea had a special 14th anniversary Valpocella Ripassa made for comp pours that was very good.   Silversea also has some delightful Australian Shiraz's on their comp wine list as well as NZ sauvignon blanc vintages.

Regent provides good complimentary wines, but we splurge (thanks to our TA's generous SBC) and enjoy the connoisseur wine list more often than Regent's comp list.  A few of Regent super stars on the Comp wine list are the Sterling Cab, and the Cline Zin.

Silversea prioritizes the fine wine experience on board--do not know of another luxury cruise line that has their own Wine Ambassador.  Moreover SS has certain voyages desigated as wine voyages (four in 2019).  

We have enjoyed the most outstanding wine tasting on board Silversea with Lawrence featuring the trio of Super Tuscans (Ornellaia, Solaia, and Sassicaia )for just $100.  The Silversea Sommeliers in support of Lawrence's wine tasting, generously poured not only one glass but another for the 15 guests attending this fabulous Super Tuscan Italian fine wine tasting.

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2018/july-/tastes-of-distinction-to-travel-deeper--silversea-develops-excep.html

Edited by WesW

Agree that Silversea has amazing wine tastings but if you are talking about included wines, they are similar in quality to Regent.

We are onRegensnow and really enjoy the Sterling Cab S.For a Pinot noir we 

like the Back House.   And our real feelings about this is there is no perfect wine - It is your pallet which decides - - 

I cannot find the world cruise thread for 2019 == and I can only tell you that we are having a super fantastic time.   Today we saw the Polly Wong’s get to be Shell BACKS AND IT WAS SO FUNNY!!!   D

Included wines a onll luxury cruise lines change according to inventory, location of ship and availability. What you get on one cruise may not be available on another or the next time. So it is pointless to ask which line has the best included wines since things change constantly. This is in addition to the point well taken by other posters here that wine is subjective. 

Just got off Voyager yesterday and IMO, the wines were always acceptable, often good, and occasionally excellent.  I also think that the included wines have declined in quality a bit over the last 5 years or so but they're still not bad, and we've found some that we really enjoy drinking at home at a better price point than some others we used to buy.

And yes, the Sterling Cab was very good indeed.  The GM ordered a bottle the night we had dinner with him and we really enjoyed it.  My wife will upcharge a bottle every now and then in P7 or Chartreuse but we can almost always find a bottle or three we like in the included list.  Don't be afraid to ask the sommelier for alternate suggestions!

We are just off Voyager.  We had to spend some OBC.  We selected the Opus One in Prime 7 and a bottle of Chateau Palmer for the last night.  A good time was had by all.  

If they are offering something that you aren't excited about, ask for an alternative.  Our traveling companions asked for alternatives at least two times.  They were happy to accommodate.  

I don't consider myself a "wine expert," but I've developed some preferences over the years after living near the CA wine country for almost 20 yrs, and in WA state since 1997.  I found the wines on Regent to be mostly quite good, a few outstanding, and several that were exceptional.  A few were good enough that I searched them out when I got home after my cruise and ordered a case of each (I'm single, so it's rare that I order a case of anything).  I always take advantage of the wine tastings offered on every cruise, and did two "connoisseur's wine lunches" on my first (and so far only) Regent cruise to discover a few more that I've purchased for special occasions.  Totally worth the extra expense ($169) for the 6-course meal with wine pairings.  

Can't compare to other luxury cruise lines as I've cruised only Regent and Holland America so far (and I found some really wonderful wines on HAL as well -- especially their South African and New Zealand offerings).  

I'm always eager to explore the offerings onboard, and so far have not been disappointed.

Lana in Bellingham, WA