Cruise Critic Community
etravel

Munich to Nuremberg by train, and getting to Avalon ship

We will be traveling from Munich to Nuremberg on the Bahn train, hoping to do the ICE fast train....I am assuming there is only 1 station in Nuremberg? If so, can anyone say how far it is to the Imagery II, Avalon ship? I understand you can go to the ship in the a.m. and drop bags and then we wondered if there would be any activities that we could do before boarding our ship? Thinking about the Rally Ground excursion for the next day as it appears that is offered then on an Avalon excursion.....And does anyone know of any other sightseeing opportunities that wouldn't be too far from the ship? Even just checking out the Village and having a nice lunch would work! Thanks in advance..This will be in late June....

While the train station is easily walkable to many hotels & the historic old town on Nuremberg, the river cruises are a few kilometers away and you'll need to taxi there.  (we boarded in NUE for our cruise - my husband, Mother and I flew in a couple days early and took taxis from the airport to our hotel; mom's husband was working overseas that year so he flew to Munich and took the train to NUE, walked from the station to the hotel. We all took a taxi from our hotel to board Avalon (Vista)....

Just exploring town, the Castle, having a meal would be enjoyable (we were there for Christmas markets, so that's what we did 😉 Also there's a train museum we visited)

On our Avalon cruise (Dec 2016) although not starting in Nuremberg, (started in Frankfurt), Avalon transfered all guests from a hotel to the ship. They had a function room set up to drop bags and a meeting time for all guests. Check your cruise documents/itinerary to see if this applies to your cruise. We had overnighted at another hotel, (actually closer to the docking location), checked out and had our bags held, had a morning sightseeing - Christmas markets and a HO ho ride, then collected our bags and walked to the meeting hotel before being bussed to the ship.

We are actually flying in and doing our own air, and then staying in Munich for a night to visit the Beer Halls! Lol...So the next day when we train over that's when we will have a little time before the River cruise departs..but thought if we have big luggage, just may have to get it to the ship first! If that makes sense...

36 minutes ago, etravel said:

We are actually flying in and doing our own air, and then staying in Munich for a night to visit the Beer Halls! Lol...So the next day when we train over that's when we will have a little time before the River cruise departs..but thought if we have big luggage, just may have to get it to the ship first! If that makes sense...

That may not work. Avalon seems to be different in that they really do seem to want to get everyone--including those who book their on air--together at a meeting point and then transfer everyone to the ship at once. You should check with Avalon directly and see what they say.

We took our own cab to Avalon to board in NUE and it was not a problem. Without transfers paid to Avalon, we we're responsible for getting ourselves to the boat....

As others said check with Avalon first.

With luggage I highly suggest a taxi to the port.

If you want to go back into town. On the bridge is a bus stop which takes you to a subway station to downtown.

steamboats

I think that Avalon used to want all passengers to meet in one place. In the last year or so, that seems to have changed.

46 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think that Avalon used to want all passengers to meet in one place. In the last year or so, that seems to have changed.

My trip was Dec 2014 where we were told to make our own way to the ship. So if between 2014 and 2018/19 it's back to that, the "gather everyone up" change was in between?

It also might depend on the port? I've heard most of the "gather in one place" stories only from Amsterdam.....

We had to "gather" in one place in Vienna, in 2016. Fortunately, the meeting hotel was only a few blocks from where we were staying, so the luggage drop off was easy. It was the planning our day to be back in time to catch the bus to the ship that was a hassle.

Robin