Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
CleverScubaCruiser

Cabana Overbooking

We've just returned from a 9 night sailing on the Koningsdam. While we enjoyed the cruise and found the Koningsdam to be a comfortable ship there was one thing that we found particularly aggravating - they overbook cabanas (at least on the Koningsdam). Since we only wanted to rent a cabana on the three sea days we had to wait until we were aboard ship to do it. Upon boarding we immediately went to Guest Services and booked cabana 2 for all three days. They took our card, entered the appropriate information, charged our account, and handed us a receipt showing the days and cabana number. Everything was fine for the first and second sea days. The cabana workers showed us to our cabana, made sure we had everything, filled the ice bucket and fruit bowl, and took our orders for lunch. At our selected lunch time, they brought our meals and gave us the option of eating in the cabana or using one of the tables. In the afternoon, they served champagne, frozen grapes, and chocolate covered strawberries. The only downside on these two days was having to partially draw the curtains and block the view of the ocean to prevent overexposure to the sun. 

When we arrived on the third sea day we discovered another couple already in our cabana. We had to wait for some time before finally catching a cabana worker (one who had taken care of us on the earlier two days). We pointed out that our cabana was occupied and he stated that the other couple had indeed rented it. He told us that they often overbook cabanas and implied that we were out of luck. When we pressed him he agreed to call his supervisor. His supervisor's solution was to offer to move us to a different cabana (number 10) overlooking the roof of the pool - one that we had rejected when we made our initial selection. They were at a loss when we said that was unacceptable. Finally another couple who had overheard our discussion, offered to move from their cabana (20) to cabana 10. We agreed even though we knew we would once again be on the sunny side. What we didn't know was that cabana 20 was in disrepair with pieces hanging down exposing parts of the structure in serious need of pressure washing or replacing. We spent our last sea day in that cabana but the overall experience was less than expected (and paid for).

My advice if you choose to book a cabana, is to view it as a maybe and not a definite. Plan to arrive early just in case they give it to someone else before you get there. I view this as a very bad practice for Holland America. It definitely lowered our opinion of the cruise line and it really doesn't make sense. After all, they already have your money for the day in the cabana.

Agree, very bad practice. You booked it, you paid for it. It was yours. This is one problem I see about people bragging they "slip someone some cash" to get some extra considerations.  I wonder (but don't know)  if that happened in your case. You have every right to protest this, and I hope you do.

Unless they disclosed up front you would not be guaranteed a particular location, if you only bought a partial reservation. Thanks for the warning and sorry this left a bad taste on what had been a pretty good cruise experience up to that point. 

Edited by OlsSalt

This is not acceptable.  HAL should never over book anything!!

Sorry this happened to you.

I hope you write a letter to Seattle.

Been in cabanas on 6 different ships...this is the first time I have heard about overbooking. And we have sailed with a cabana on K-Dam. 

Did you have it in writing that the cabana you had the first two days was in fact the cabana assigned to you for the third day, or that you simply had a cabana booked, with no assignment?

How awful, I’ve never heard of overbooking. So sorry you had this happen to you. We book cabanas and have never had a problem. I hope you follow up on this. 

On 1/16/2019 at 4:07 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Been in cabanas on 6 different ships...this is the first time I have heard about overbooking. And we have sailed with a cabana on K-Dam. 

Did you have it in writing that the cabana you had the first two days was in fact the cabana assigned to you for the third day, or that you simply had a cabana booked, with no assignment?

Our receipt showed that we had rented cabana 2 for all three sea days.