Vanessa55

Dreaded sunbed reserving

Hi, new to cruising and after reading reviews on here, I was wondering what everyone’s opinion if we removed towels from sun beds that obviously had no one on it ? Also would the cruise staff back us.?

Edited by Vanessa55
Spelling

It all depends on the line you are on, how long the towels have been there, and a number of other factors.

Unless you want to be right by the pool finding loungers is usually not a big issue, though people like to act like it is a problem.

1 hour ago, Vanessa55 said:

Hi, new to cruising and after reading reviews on here, I was wondering what everyone’s opinion if we removed towels from sun beds that obviously had no one on it ? Also would the cruise staff back us.?

Welcome to CC. Ask the pool attendant to remove the chair hogs belongings if it's obvious they have been away for more than 30 minutes. Not worth the confrontation. I prefer the deck above the pool deck. Less crowded and better views. 

Edited by davekathy

As a redhead from the Great White North, I *need* shade.  If I can't find a place in the shade, I'll watch various hogged loungers and move the towel after 30 minutes of non-use.  

If there are belongings beyond just a towel, I'd probably ask staff to remove them, but I've always been able to find plenty of towel-only chairs to use.  

Oh, and if the towel is fresh (folded and everything, obviously unused), I don't even bother moving the towel -- it's just my towel now!

Depending on the cruise line , they all have their rules on this ugly part of warm weather cruising, they enforce the Chair Hog rules from slightly to non existent .

If it really bothers you , take action .

If there are ABSOLUTELY NO LOUNGERS anywhere, we will ask those sitting near towels covered chairs if anyone is using them.  The folks in the area will know.  If they say they haven't seen anyone, feel free to move the towels....or ask the pool attendant to do it.

Generally, there are plenty of loungers...if not right next to the pool, then up one deck.  Cooler there, too!  And, a bit more space between the loungers!

I don’t agree with zqvol. I see it as a big problem. Many times we’ve circled around and around up a deck or two, down a deck or two looking for at least two seats. On our most recent cruise on Celebrity Equinox, the poolside workers were great and readily removed things to make chairs available. I would encourage you to ask a deckhand for help. 

Returned from a fifteen day Holland America cruise from Singapore last Friday. On the last two sea days I observed fourteen loungers next to the midship pool that was always covered with towels and passengers personal property. Only two of the fourteen loungers were always occupied by one elderly couple. I told my wife I was going to let a supervisor know about the chair hogs. My wife told me to mind my own business. It was close to three hours before anyone else sat in the twelve other reserved chairs. If I wanted to sit with my family in one of the loungers I would have removed the items and planted myself in one of the chairs. I was happy to sit at a round table with my wife and son enjoying a bottle of decent white wine. No matter where in the world you cruise there will always be chair hogs. The big viable is when and if management follows the rules and removes personal property from the chairs. Normally they don’t want to upset the passengers so this ridiculous nonsense continues to go on.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. It's so irritating to attempt to find two loungers together so DH and I can relax while the kids are in the pool. I think the part that irritates me the most is that the amount of chairs covered in items is far greater than the people in the pool. Where do they wander off to and why can't they bring their junk with them? I can usually find several chairs together with folded towels so I just stack them all on one lounger and DH and I claim the loungers. We set the kids' stuff (cover ups, watches, glasses) in a tote bag I bring with me that also has my book, sunscreen, water bottle, etc. I keep that in between DH and me and stack their towels on top of it. We try to do our best to not be chair hogs. When the kids are swimming by themselves I tell them to stack everything on a regular chair that isn't being used, or just on one lounger.